Pick one Helicopter Tour

Nautical but Nice

Help!!!! I will be on the Tahitian Princess in a little over a week sailing from Hawaii to Tahiti. I have yet to nail down our shore excursions. My question is, if you could only pick ONE helicopter tour to go on, in either Maui, Kauai, or the Big Island (from Hilo), which would you choose? For example, I'd hate to take one in say Kauai only to find out later that the sights were much beter in either of the other islands.

Thank you, Thank you!

Christine

I've done all three and they each have their strengths. It depends on what you like to see. The Na Pali coast on Kauai is spectacular, and the only way you get to see it is by helicoptor or by boat. On Maui we hovered in a valley on the backside of Haleakala with 23 waterfalls in it. On the Big Island, we flew over the Pu'u O'o crater at the time when all seven vents were visible. Every island has it's own attractions. But, if I had to pick one, it would be Kauai. Try to get a morning flight since the weather over the mountains is usually better then.

I choose Kauai, mainly because its so mountainous and I felt there would probabaly be a lot of area there not accecable by foot. We are booked on Safari Air only 139.00 eash and they will pick us up at the port. My cruise in 1 week from today on the Pride of Aloha with Norweigian. Ill try and post when I get back and let u know how we liked it.

I have taken Helicopter tour on Kauai and over the volcano on the Big island. Kauai was far more interesting to me. The volcano is interesting, but the landscape is far more barren and less interesting. Kauai is pretty much simply spectacular.

jc

We hoovered (sp?) over a crater while the lava was flowing and could feel the heat---way cool! However, the Na Pali coast isn't to be missed. A lot of times boats can't go out because of the currents, so whirly bird may be your "safest" option in ensuring that you see the coast. Either way, you can't go wrong!

Kauai was my favorite. You can see some pics and vids in my pride of aloha review in the link below.

We got lucky on our big island flight and saw lava on our star cruise. Still preferred teh Kauai flight.

Words cannot describe the tour of Kauai. We were awestruck.

Others on our cruise toured the Big Island and didn't see lava and were disappointed. Of course it's not guaranteed to see volcanic action. You just kind of hope.

In Kauai, mornings are better because it can get cloudy, misty and/or foggy.

I can't imagine you being disappointed in Kauai. It is spectacular.

Just a word to the wise. If you are booking independently, check with the helicopter company about their cancellation policy. We booked in Kauai, and the ship was not allowed to dock due to high winds. We were charged for the tour, even though we couldn't take it. They had a 24 hour cancellation policy and would not bend. (We are now disputing it through the credit card company). Be sure to ask!!

Archived