More Problems for QM2

Cruachan

I was on board QV very recently when two events happened, in one everyone in the theatre listening to the lecture (including the speaker himself) could bear witness, and on deck my table companion took pictures but the on board "official " comment comment was "did not happen only a rumour". Are we all supposedly delusional? Then in the early hours of the morning later in the cruise, the engines stopped, for about 30 mins. Again is that a delusion?

I am not a message board "expert" but I was on board , I can assure you I witnessed both events - which Cunard say "did not happen"

Cunard as a company cannot not be trusted to tell the passengers the truth if they can get away with pretending nothing happened and have gullible people who were not there accept Cunard's statements without questioning the veracity .

I saw this and thought that I was going crazy! Apparently not, this post is merely a regurgitation of post number 8 on this thread which bizarrely was made by the same person. :eek:

I am going to be crossing the Atlantic at the end of April on the Caribbean Princess. She is currently undergoing propulsion repair.

I will be returning to the US in June on the Queen Mary 2. Apparent power problems.

In 2004 we sailed on the Summit Alaska/Panama repositioning which was shortened due to, you guessed it, propulsion problems.

Should I even bother getting the suitcases out?

Having sailed the Pacific last year from San Francisco to Sydney, I would hate to be powerless in the Pacific. We went days without seeing any land or other ships.

Selfishly, I hope that the problems with both ships get corrected soon.

The more I think about it, the more I have to say that I'm NEVER ready to get off the ship after the 7 day crossing... So if a power outage means more time on my favorite ship, then with my blessing, turn off the engines mid Atlantic and lets have another day on board!

If you think being without engines , drifting in the Atlantic is fun,I suggest you talk with a few ex convoy Merchant Marines from WW2. They did not find it amusing to be adrift on an ocean known for its terrifying weather, 16 foot waves and fog. BTW QM2 has had all of these during Transatlantic crossings as can be read on these boards.

Personally I prefer a ship that does not have these problems, and an administration that does not lie to its customers.

My second posting was a reply to your remarks that you TRUSTED the Cunard administration to tell you the truth and to put your safety above all else. I can only repeat those things I personally experienced ,no rumours, evasions, or third hand reports.

I see some are saying they don't trust Cunard.

I think they are looking out for the bottom line when they don't admit to problems.

So that means they can be trusted to do that. They are under enormous pressure to make a profit on each cruise. So I believe people / corporations will do anything they can to make sure the best impression is put forward to the public.

Also I had this thought that brief stopping of the engines means they are taking the hose from one gas tank and putting it into the next gas tank... I know that is stupid but I do wonder if some of the stopping of the engines is actually a part of the process of keeping them working?? Again that could be a dumb thought too.

I still think Cunard is a good company. Things do break, lets just hope they always have a good person to fix them.

PARTIAL QUOTES

...I do wonder if some of the stopping of the engines is actually a part of the process of keeping them working...

...I still think Cunard is a good company. Things do break, lets just hope they always have a good person to fix them.

DDBINK, intesting thought. I also think Cunard is a good company, and my guess is that most of us care enough about the Cunard Line to wish only the best for Cunard's continued success - afterall, it we didn't care, we wouldn't be concerned about the problem. Regards, -S.

Also I had this thought that brief stopping of the engines means they are taking the hose from one gas tank and putting it into the next gas tank... I know that is stupid but I do wonder if some of the stopping of the engines is actually a part of the process of keeping them working?? Again that could be a dumb thought too.

I think you will find that the engines never stop working, it's transfer of the power that caused the problem I think.

The back up systems will be considerable on a ship like the QM2.

Archived