San Diego/Coronado

mllewis48

We'll be making the repositioning cruise on the Westerdam in April and will be stopping in San Diego. Was wondering if anyone ever tried to go over to Coronado Island while the ship is in port? I see that the ferry terminal is right next to the cruise terminal and have already gotten the times that it runs. Is it worth the effort to go over to the island?

Thanks

Mike

We enjoyed the ferry trip, and the views of SD. A dear friend had said it was a "must do" so I think we were expecting something more/different (not really sure what we were expecting) on the island. There's a nice walk along the waterfront, and some nearby cafes.

We'll be making the repositioning cruise on the Westerdam in April and will be stopping in San Diego. Was wondering if anyone ever tried to go over to Coronado Island while the ship is in port? I see that the ferry terminal is right next to the cruise terminal and have already gotten the times that it runs. Is it worth the effort to go over to the island?

Thanks

Mike

There's a San Diego Old Town trolley stop in between the cruise pier and the USS Midway Museum. It, the trolley, will take you over the Coronado Bridge to the Hotel Del Coronado. The trolley is a "hop on, hop off' type of ride. You can get off any of the stops and spend as much time as you want, then get back on! Enjoy San Diego; a great city!

http://www.trolleytours.com/san-diego/map-trolley-stop-locator.asp

I agree with Copper, taking the Trolley is the best way to go over to Coronado. Don't do the ferry, beside by doing the Trolley you can stop at several other great place in San Diego. We've done it several times and it worked out very well for sight seeing. Have fun, San Diego is a really awesome city.

I lived in San Diego for over 20 years and spent many hours enjoying Coronado. Taking the Trolley is fine as you can see other stuff on the way. But I recommend you take the ferry at least one direction. San Diego has one of the most beautiful harbors in the world and is well worth seeing from the water. You will enjoy Coronado and its lovely restarants, shops and harbor areas. :)

I live in San Diego and can easily say that downtown San Diego (right next to the ship) is much more interesting than Coronado. Coronado is very pleasant, just not that exciting and public attractions are mostly restaurants and souvenir shops. The major Coronado attraction, the "Hotel Del" as we call it, beyond walking distance.

I would suggest touring the Midway aircraft carrier which is right next to the cruise ship terminal.

igraf

Thanks

Mike

We have been to San Diego many times.

Have been to Coronado.

With just a stop for a few hours -- not worth the trip.

Usually when the ship has San Diego as a port stop -- ther will be a bus to take you down to Seaport Village -- lots of shops and restaurants there.

Also -- you can walk to Midway - and tour the carrier.

So much near the pier to see and do.

Thanks to all for the great advice now all I need to do is make a decision. I'm concerned that we do something on our own we may not make it back for sailaway time. We only have from about 9:00am to 4:00pm. We were in San Diego last October on a Hawaiian cruise with HAL and visited LaJolla and downtown Lamplight District prior to the trip. Not much into more naval ships as we've done that in Wilmington, Charleston and Corpus Christi.

Thanks again

Mike

Then take the free shuttle to Seaport Village!!

We have done a few times when we are only in San Diego for a few hours.

We have stayed many times in San Diego at the Embassy Suites and have walked down to Seaport Village.

Too bad you aren' staying longer in port as there is bus that takes you to the zoo.

Thanks to all for the great advice now all I need to do is make a decision. I'm concerned that we do something on our own we may not make it back for sailaway time. We only have from about 9:00am to 4:00pm. We were in San Diego last October on a Hawaiian cruise with HAL and visited LaJolla and downtown Lamplight District prior to the trip. Not much into more naval ships as we've done that in Wilmington, Charleston and Corpus Christi.

Thanks again

Mike

Just a heads up and the decision is yours of course;) If you were to pick up the trolley at the cruise terminal (actually, the stop is at the Star of India sailship/musum), it would take you 2 hours to complete the circuit and all eleven stops and get back to where you started (providing you don't get off) . A great way to see San Diego. If you wanted to get off somewhere, say at the Hotel Del in Coronado, really worth a visit, or for lunch somewhere else, you would just add that time to your two hours. Have a great time whatever you decide!

I guess it is a good thing I saw this thread. We are taking a cruise out of San Diego next month and will arrive the day before. We get in pretty early (around 10:30 AM). I had originally thought of just taking the ferry over to Coronado and exploring that during the afternoon. However, you guys make it seem like the trolley would be a better deal. Is Coronado walkable? Can you go from the landing down to the hotel and beach, etc?

I guess it is a good thing I saw this thread. We are taking a cruise out of San Diego next month and will arrive the day before. We get in pretty early (around 10:30 AM). I had originally thought of just taking the ferry over to Coronado and exploring that during the afternoon. However, you guys make it seem like the trolley would be a better deal. Is Coronado walkable? Can you go from the landing down to the hotel and beach, etc?

About a 1.5 mile walk down Orange Ave:cool:

Btw, both those places are stops (the only two there) on the trolley once it crosses the bridge and gets to Coronado

Archived