How would you spend your onboard credit?

mjthecruiser

Tours first. I'm too chicken to go far from the ship unless I'm on a Silversea tour (or in a port overnight.)

Then Spa. I get a pedicure the day I arrive and for the last formal night (since I'm usually on 3-4 weeks at a time.) My dh gets massages.

Then internet package (although, anything that the credit doesn't cover is a business expense but I use a lot of the time for downloading non-business things like the radio news podcast.)

The shop. On our last trip, I priced my perfume all along the way and it was cheapest on board the ship (over 20% cheaper than in the 'tax-free' Canaries, for example.) I also priced it on Amazon, which was the same price as the ship, once the ship had a sale.

Keep your eye on the Chronicles because both the shops and the spa have daily specials sometimes.

We have no problem spending ours. Last time the SS and Amex combined was sizeable.

Wine from the Connoisseur's List or the Wine Package. We like good wine, plus our last cruise we wanted a special bottle of Champagne on New Year's Eve.

Excursions.

Spa.

Internet package.

What a fun topic! We also will have a fair amount of on board credit. For those that use the credit on excursions, do you wait until you are on board to book? I'm a little concerned that the excursions that we want will be booked.

Wine is provided, don't see the rationale for paying extra?

The rationale for paying extra is that some Silversea cruisers (us, for example) are very much into their wine, and enjoy drinking a very good bottle of wine now and then, in addition to the included wines. I've seen some who won't drink the included wines at all and choose to either bring their own selection or only drink from the Connoisseur's List. Others are happy to drink only the included wines. Still others don't drink alcohol at all.

Each to his own, I say.

Nigella, Ravencroft, Sakaara: Will you have dinner with me if we ever cruise together? Mmmm...wine :)

Sakaara, I was considering bringing a few bottles from my cellar for my May cruise on Spirit, but it is just turning out to be a hassle to transport from Toronto to Monte Carlo so I"m just going to take the advice of past poster and meet with som. and choose from the conn. list.

NorthernCheapo, we did 21 days on the Spirit for Christmas/New Year 2011 and the first week of 2012. If the same head sommelier is on board for you in May, I think you'll find him very helpful. We chose several wines from the Connoisseur's List and we put together a couple of packages, on which he gave us some generous discounts. He soon learned our tastes and ensured that we were happy with the included wines when he saw us at dinner in the MDR. He could always recommend an alternative too. His name is Marjan, from Macedonia.

Nigella, Ravencroft, Sakaara: Will you have dinner with me if we ever cruise together? Mmmm...wine :)

Sakaara, I was considering bringing a few bottles from my cellar for my May cruise on Spirit, but it is just turning out to be a hassle to transport from Toronto to Monte Carlo so I"m just going to take the advice of past poster and meet with som. and choose from the conn. list.

If my past experience is any indication you will be delighted with his knowledge. On par with a NYC Per Se som.

Enjoy!

Steve

One thing not to do is to donate some of it to the crew welfare fund. We did this only to find out that in the last couple of hours of the recent cruise on the Shadow, admin deleted it and added it to our Amex card even though it showed as a purchase for all of the cruise. We don't want to fight this but we did think it as "sneaky" by Silversea.

One thing not to do is to donate some of it to the crew welfare fund. We did this only to find out that in the last couple of hours of the recent cruise on the Shadow, admin deleted it and added it to our Amex card even though it showed as a purchase for all of the cruise. We don't want to fight this but we did think it as "sneaky" by Silversea.

Yes,a bit naughty.

I always give my onboard credit to the crew welfare fund on Seabourn,never had a problem and always a nice thank you letter.

Archived