things to do Half Cay Moon Bahamas,

dja31705

i've never done anything at HMC any time i've ever been there except lay around on that beautiful beach and go for lunch. it's one of the best stops IMO. clean, beautiful, relaxing, and nothing needed except your S&S card.

i've seen the horseback riding at the far end of the beach, and that always seemed like it would be something nice to do, but in the end, i always skipped it bc to me, it's better to do something like that in a port where you don't have the amenities or beach area that you do here.

What is the Grand Cabana? I assume it fits more people than a regular Cabana. Also, is it conveniently located near rest rooms, etc.?
It's also known as the "Private Oasis." It's a 1600 square foot cabana with personal bartender (open bar, although limited to beer, wine, soda, and a handful of specialty drinks - I was rather partial to the rum punch:D), chef (all your food is available right there), steward and lifeguard. It has its own restrooms and shower, hot tub, clamshells, snorkel gear, and float mats. Carnival's description is available at http://www.carnival.com/Activities/Excursion/420029; it's $1400 for 12 people and there's a surcharge for additional people. Last summer we had 14 people in the Oasis. My review with photos is at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1474347.

Love the Cabanas.....they have never come around to enforce the folks in there..........they supply food/drinks/snorkel gear/mats for 4.....however they don't come and check on how many are using it........so no worries.....when you book it and get on the ship you have to go and choose the cabana you want and they ask for your soda preference....they give 8 I think and water and a veggie tray and chips and salsa tray.....it is a nice place to go back and hang out with loungers for two a table and four chairs and a hammock outside that others can snag if you don't claim it first........the air is not enclosed just in the back but still it is a great respite from the heat..........although last Sept after the storms had trashed alot of the trees there was no shade and it didn't matter if you had a cabana or not....the afternoon heat was hot.....but the beach there is the BEST ever.............I wish they would include HMC in the 3 day weekend trips.......I have even asked Gerry Cahill to include that instead of that 24 hour stay in Nassau...but he said it can't happen..........pity.....I would take a day in HMC over a sea day any day....

HMC..my favorite beach in the world. Some tips:

Rent a cabana...it's the way to go on HMC ..trust me!...so worth the money as you do get alot with it. I think it is now $219 (NOT per person..only one person in party books it for everyone). You get cooler of drinks/water/; chips/dips and fruits dips; comfy padded wicker lounge furniture including table and chairs; snorkel gear for four; floats for four; fridge and counter with cabinets for storage; misting fan; ceiling fan and AC; shower to wash off sand; front porch with a great view. We had cabana 9..in front of restrooms and not very crowded (we were only ship there). For a family of four, it's a bargain at $55 per person if you look at it that way..you would normally pay at least that much if not more for some of the excursions.

People do end up fighting for the limited shade there is...we saw it happen..wasn't pretty. And it got too hot that folks ended up going back to ship early as they were too hot out in sun. Yes, there's trees, but still do not provide enough shade for all those lounge chairs.

Clam shells can get too hot. We also heard about people complaining about that. I think it depends on what some of them are made out of (something with the material and it gets too hot underneath).

The sand at beginning of beach is a little more course (lots of pebbles and broken up shells/coral). Go further down past Cabana 5 or 6 and the sand is nice and powdery soft...and gets less crowded.

We will be at HMC in late May. We are not going to rent a cabana. We plan to go far down the beach. We absolutely cannot sit in the sun, so we will have to have shade. Will we find shade there or should be plan to bring our inexpensive beach umbrellas from home? (I'd rather not have to do that, but shade is a necessity.)

We will be at HMC in late May. We are not going to rent a cabana. We plan to go far down the beach. We absolutely cannot sit in the sun, so we will have to have shade. Will we find shade there or should be plan to bring our inexpensive beach umbrellas from home? (I'd rather not have to do that, but shade is a necessity.)

Eh, you may not find too much shade without a cabana. If its a must have, I'd bring an umbrella or book cabana. We had a cabana and they really are nice

We were at HMC a few weeks ago. It really is beautiful.

I would definitely rent a cabana next time - would have been nice to get out of the sun off and on during the day. I am not complaining...but a break in the shade would have been nice.

We did the stingray encounter - mainly for the kids. It's about an hour, they provide snorkeling equipment and water shoes. My kids really enjoyed it, as did I! (Next cruise, we'll take them to Stingray City!)

Enjoy HMC!

I can not sit in the sun. We rented a Cabana in November. I'll always rent one. It's a great place to sit and enjoy the view. You can also bring your lunch back and enjoy eating with your family. It did rain while we were there, and everyone ran to find shelter. We didn't have to.

Did HMC in Nov. Now that I think about it I barley spent anytime in the cabana. I was in the water most of the time. But it was priceless for my elderly parents. We rearranged the furniture so the loungers were back in the shade and the table and chairs were in the sun. We had six people (didn't pay for the extras). The cooler full of ice was perfect for the port'o shot, the fruit tray was also perfect for our garnishes. My nephew was able to try snorkling with no committment (he did awesome and loved it thanks to a friend that worked with him).

If I could have one day of my life to live over that would be one of them! Grand turk that cruise was pretty awesome as well!

Does anyone know if they offer massages on the beach?

I do not think so, but you can if you rent the GRAND CABANA...for well over $1,000 for the day. I think it does come with that, along with a chef, hot tub and slide that goes right into the water!

What are the must do's in Half Cay Moon Bahamas. We didn't get a cabana. Will there be rental chairs, etc
:(

the chairs are free and the best thing to do is pull one to the waters edge and relax with your favorite drink in hand!! It is heaven!!

Archived