Getting From Toulon to Cannes, Am I Nuts?

moviegal

Hi! We will be in Toulon this May on the Celebrity Solstice (port call from 7 am - 5 pm on a Tuesday) and we have always wanted to see Cannes. I'm not sure if we are nuts to attempt to do this on our own considering our short port stay, but I've researched both rental cars (supposedly a 1 hour, 20 minute drive each way) and the local train (about the same amount of time, decent schedule departing around 8:15 am and returning around 2:45 pm).

Has anyone done this before and if so, what would you recommend -- a rental car or the train? I'm fully aware our time constraints will severely limit what we will get to see in Cannes, but I'm mostly concerned about the smartest mode of transport (and if this is too ambitious of a goal).

If you've rented a car, how difficult was it to navigate / park in the city? If you've taken the train, where does it drop you off in Cannes? Is it easy to reach from the Toulon port?

I would appreciate any comments or advice anyone can give me, and I'm looking forward to my first trip to Europe!

Hi! We will be in Toulon this May on the Celebrity Solstice (port call from 7 am - 5 pm on a Tuesday) and we have always wanted to see Cannes. I'm not sure if we are nuts to attempt to do this on our own considering our short port stay, but I've researched both rental cars (supposedly a 1 hour, 20 minute drive each way) and the local train (about the same amount of time, decent schedule departing around 8:15 am and returning around 2:45 pm).

Has anyone done this before and if so, what would you recommend -- a rental car or the train? I'm fully aware our time constraints will severely limit what we will get to see in Cannes, but I'm mostly concerned about the smartest mode of transport (and if this is too ambitious of a goal).

If you've rented a car, how difficult was it to navigate / park in the city? If you've taken the train, where does it drop you off in Cannes? Is it easy to reach from the Toulon port?

I would appreciate any comments or advice anyone can give me, and I'm looking forward to my first trip to Europe!

Yes, it's duable by TRAIN if you get off the ship quickly to catch the early train... Can have coffee and a stroll in Cannes (or use the local Petit Train for a tour) and then return to Toulon in time for another stroll in town.

You can take local Bus # 8 from La Seyne-sur-Mer to Toulon and the bus ticket is 1.40 €/pax (dropped us off very close to Toulon Train Station SNCF... we reached it within 5 minutes walking distance up the street). Or use the ferry that crosses over to Toulon... or a taxi.

The bus ride was about 45 minutes (due to traffic on Friday morning, June 4th 2010).

From The Train Station in Toulon you can go to Cannes or even to Nice (the train comes from Marseilles and it reaches Cannes in less than 1.5 hrs)...

or Cassis, Avignon or even back to Marseille... so many destinations to chose from!

Note that most of the local SNCF trains offer 20% discount for senior citizens'tickets (60+ years old... just show ID and ask for the discount!).

Seyne-sur-Mer_Toulon_June201019.jpg

SNCF Train Station in Toulon (June 4, 2010)

Seyne-sur-Mer_Toulon_June20102.jpg

For the price of the bus ticket (1.40 €), you can enjoy a fresh coffee across the street, at Cafe de la Gare.

We took the train from Toulon to Cannes (left Toulon at 10:12am and arrived in Cannes at 11:32am...

the earlier train left Toulon at 8:10am that day). Full price ticket: 18.90 €/one way.

Seyne-sur-Mer_Toulon_June20103.jpg

Inside the SNCF Train Station in Toulon (June 4, 2010)

Seyne-sur-Mer_Toulon_June20106.jpg

Seyne-sur-Mer_Toulon_June20108.jpg

Seyne-sur-Mer_Toulon_June20107.jpg

The train to Cannes came to Toulon from Marseille at gate 3 and the "ter" train's final destination was Nice.

There were only 3 short stops before we reached Cannes that Friday (80 minutes later).

Note that MOST of the cruise ships dock in Seyne-sur-Mer; so you can catch the train there (connecting in Toulon) or directly across the water in Toulon's Train Station.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1226994

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1229876

Edited by daliflor

• 4 years later...

As frequent car renters in Europe, we often advise that if you are simply going from Point A to Point B (such as from Toulon to Cannes) and there are trains that fit your schedule...then the train is usually the better option (especially for a couple). As to parking in Cannes, it is not too difficult if you know where to park, or you can simply go into a paid parking garage.

Hank