Viking River Cruises Scam

mutuelmanager1

If you tell customers ahead of time about it, I have no complaint, and don't see it as a problem or issue. However, it appears they do not inform customers.

The following is directly from Viking's Website ....

Some credit card companies may impose a “Foreign Transaction Fee” even though your transaction is denominated in U.S. dollars. This is an arbitrary fee that occurs in a small number of cases and accrues entirely to the credit card–issuing bank. Viking does not control these bank-imposed fees nor does Viking derive any benefit from them, monetary or otherwise; we are therefore unable to accept responsibility for the fees.

The link follows. Look under Payments section.

http://www.vikingrivercruises.com/termsconditions.aspx

Yggdrasil, am confused about you saying that you pay your TA a commission. Have a good friend who is a TA and she assures me that the customer doesn't pay the commission, but the cruise line does. Viking isn't getting money from the credit card co. The credit card co. is getting the money from us the users. Pat

The customer doesn't directly pay the commission...no. The cruise line takes a percentage of what the customer has paid for their cruise and then rewards the agent for doing the selling/servicing/booking/assisting of the customer. The customer does not pay any more for their cruise just because they use a travel agent. If you booked yourself directly, you are just paying the cruise line even more money and in most cases...giving up free assistance. (and leverage with the cruise line) An agent can go to bat for you when needed and probably obtain things from them that you couldn't on your own. Leverage. (oh...and fetch you a better price or freebies)

Yggdrasil, am confused about you saying that you pay your TA a commission. Have a good friend who is a TA and she assures me that the customer doesn't pay the commission, but the cruise line does. Viking isn't getting money from the credit card co. The credit card co. is getting the money from us the users. Pat

Pacmom, what I mean is that I am advised IF I wish to use a credit card to pay for my travel they will pass on the the commission fees they are charged to me (from the Merchant). If i pay via direct deposit no fees, pay via credit card or bank cheque then I avoid the Commission. It's the same with other large purchases here, like cars, if you want to pay for a car with a card, you pay the credit card company commission, which you are told when you pay for the vehicle.

Having our own business, we understand how it works :). Sad for us as purchasers, but from the other side as vendors, they don't wish to accept the commission coming out of their profit.

Yggdrasil, still confused about your reply. Are you talking about using a personal credit card? When we use our personal credit cards to pay for a trip, the only time anFTF appears is if the line uses a foreing bank for clearing. Have seen this happen on Oceania and were quickly reimbursed. Is it possible that the commission you are talking about is from using a card that has a merchant service fee.

When you buy a car with a credit card and are paying less thanMSR the dealer will ask you to pay the merchant service fee. As a business owner you should know that these are not true commissions. Please let me know if I have totally misunderstood your reply. Pat

Butting in on someone else's comments, but perhaps this is an example of what is being discussed? When I paid for my Viking cruise I was given a fixed price that I could pay via check or credit card. However, by authorizing an electronic funds transfer (EFT) to Viking from my bank the total price & amount paid by EFT was reduced 3%. This is their way of passing along savings from no CC fees or deposit problems. I liked the discount & they liked getting paid faster easier.

I would mention that I have found this type arrangement frequently in owner operated businesses although these are usually cash versus CC payments.

Barbiegator,

We also used a BofA CC to pay for our cruise. We were charged $30 foreign transaction fee. We called BofA to complain, because we paid in US $! They said it doesn't matter, as the bank the money was put into isn't in the US? I am very confused about this fee.

I also have Chase cards that do not charge a foreign transaction fee. If I had known Viking was doing business out of the US, I would have used one of those CCs.

We did not book through Viking. We used an online agency. V to G dot com. I know online agencies usually take your money and run, never to talk to you again. I suppose I should contact them to see if they will do something about this fee.

charge card company does this. Change to Capital One or American Express issued by them, not a bank. It is your responsibility to know about Foreign Exchange Charges.

Will be using Capital One card while in Europe to avoid foreign transaction fee. Thanks to all for information.

<<Yggdrasil, still confused about your reply. Are you talking about using a personal credit card? When we use our personal credit cards to pay for a trip, the only time anFTF appears is if the line uses a foreing bank for clearing. Have seen this happen on Oceania and were quickly reimbursed. Is it possible that the commission you are talking about is from using a card that has a merchant service fee.

When you buy a car with a credit card and are paying less thanMSR the dealer will ask you to pay the merchant service fee. As a business owner you should know that these are not true commissions. Please let me know if I have totally misunderstood your reply. Pat>>

Sorry, I don't know what an FTF is? Perhaps not a banking term within Australia, or perhaps travel related. What I mean is that my travel agent (and car sales dealers) will not accept a credit card for payment unless you pay an extra %. Just that. The explanation is that the commission they are charged by their service provider are high enough to pass this on which means any "deal" you have received is actually greater and they aren't prepared to pay the commission. Yes, as a business owner, we ARE charged the merchant fee on every single transaction, it's up to us to decide if we work this into our product price, or wear it. So, yes, it is a true commission, at least in Business/Banking terms in Australia.

Therefore, the direct deposit, bank cheque (which you pay the bank a fee for) is the exact amount of advertised cost of products purchased, whether a car or a cruise.

Yggdrasil,

Thanks so much for helping my muddled brain. Now I understand what you are talking about. Things do work a bit differently in the States. FTF is a foreign transaction fee--levied by non US banks on US credit card companies when we charge an item or trip and the cruise line uses a foreign bank to clear the charge. Of course the credit card company passes this charge along to the company. Am sure Viking will refund the amount.. Can understand why you don't like to use credit cards for large purchases. Be careful--river cruising can become addictive. Pat

I booked my trip in November 2011 and the sales rep told me that unless I paid with an e-check, the credit card company would charge a 3% fee, which would be passed on to me. The choice was mine, pay by credit card with a 3% fee or send an e-check. I sent the check and was not charged.

While I believe it is obvious that I think this fee should be disclosed specifically in markets where Viking is advertising, and have problems with it for more than one reason - although, listed in the fine print - When viking advertises in my market, on a local channel - I do not expect a "foreign transaction charge" on my local credit card.

Regardless, I wish to give kudos to Viking for giving credit back to the consumer when requested, as it appears they are routinely doing so.

The bottom line is that if they give you credit quickly and without hassle - they took care of it.

• 2 weeks later...

:)The Viking ships are foreign merchants since they are outside the US and bill in the local currency.

These foreign transaction fees come from the credit card company. Viking or any merchant has nothing to do with this. They get none of this fee.

Use Discover card for no such fee or USAA for a 1% fee.

You would benefit from checking into this before traveling outside the US.

Dear Viking Travelers,

We’d like to help clarify any questions or concerns regarding credit card Foreign Transaction Fees. While some credit card companies impose a Foreign Transaction Fee for Viking charges, others do not and their criterion varies. This is why we are unable to forewarn our guests about the potential fee — which occurs in only a small percentage of Viking bookings. Viking River Cruises does not benefit from these charges, and when (or if) they do occur on a U.S.-based credit card for charges made within the U.S., we reimburse the amount of the fee.

If your credit card company charged you a Foreign Transaction Fee for your deposit or final payment with Viking River Cruises, please fax a copy of the statement that reflects the fee, along with your Viking booking number, to our Accounting Department at 1.818.594.8459.

Any additional questions or concerns about Viking River Cruises or Foreign Transaction Fees can be directed to TellUs@vikingrivercruises.com — we always welcome hearing from our guests.

Kind regards,

Viking River Cruises

I just faxed them my Credit Card statement showing the charge, and I just confirmed that I got my refund. I do agree they should mention up front that there might be a fee so we could be looking for it and know what to do it there is one. This has taught me a lesson and I am getting a capital one card for my trip since they don't have fees on foreign transactions.

I just faxed them my Credit Card statement showing the charge, and I just confirmed that I got my refund. I do agree they should mention up front that there might be a fee so we could be looking for it and know what to do it there is one. This has taught me a lesson and I am getting a capital one card for my trip since they don't have fees on foreign transactions.

How long did it take to get your refund? Our information was sent a week ago, nothing yet.

I sent it two weeks ago and I called today on it and they said it is almost done processing. So haven't actually seen it on the bill, but said it should be soon. I think originally when I called they said 3-6 weeks

I received a check this week from Viking. Also a letter explaining they are not aware of what each credit card charges . Took about 3 weeks.

Thanks, Barbiegator and Ninaks,

I'll let you know when I get the refund, as to how long it took.

It is the credit card company that charged the fee, not Viking. They do not get any part of that. That is why we use a Capital One card as they do not charge any foreign transaction fees. It is not Vikings responsibility to inform you of your credit card policies.

Cheers,

We always use our Capital One card, no foreign transactions fees ever..

I'm still waiting to hear something, it's been over 2 weeks. :(

Sent an email myself today to Viking. TA sent info to them April 9.

Hi SFO-F/A,

The refund process should only take two weeks, so we would really like to look into this for you. Please send your contact information to us via tellus@vikingrivercruises.com. We look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Viking River Cruises

Archived