The Scam of Princess

el_pic

Most of you know the Carribean Princess from San Juan has a Port motor problem and 1 cruise was shorten and 2 more were cancelled ...

At least some got a shorten cruise ...

We were booked on the March 18th trip from San Juan.

They sent cancellation notice 3 days before.

How do you recover from such a let down and recover all those expenses ??

This was our 30 year anniv cruise - re book in 3 days notice ??? LoL.

Note - they did say they could get us on April 1st in downgrade cabin but wanted $200 more per person - now they quote $400 more per person for that same cruise.

No credit to my charge account yet.

Message me if you were effected by what is now 2.5 cancelled cruises.

They knew they had this problem in January Feb time per what others said.

Sure any ship can have a problem but to instantly increase fairs $200 and now $400 is well beyond the credit for cancellation 25% bounus they were giving.

Not even repeat customers {me 6x} get a good break.

The Air Vouches they gave is marked $0.00 credit. WT ...

This should be a lesson for all those who consider Princess

and a lesson in SCAM that tops anything out of Africa.

Sheeeesk ... What a 30 Year Annv cruise ..:eek::eek::eek:

I'm sorry you're disappointed and can understand your frustration. Years ago, I was scheduled on the first Coral Princess cruise which was a holiday cruise. Three weeks before the cruise, I learned on CC that the ship was going to be delayed getting to FL and the cruise would be canceled. I didn't hear from Princess for another week. While not the same as a 30th anniversary, try finding flights to FL at Christmastime and an alternate cruise. It was darned near impossible but I made it happen. Once I was notified, Princess refunded my money to my credit card within days.

Has your TA been able to assist you? I should think they would go to bat for you. If you didn't use a TA, then it's up to you to follow-up and pursue the matter. This is a good example of why using a good TA is so important. Not only do you pay less for the cruise than the Princess rate but you get assistance at times like this.

Most of you know the Carribean Princess from San Juan has a Port motor problem and 1 cruise was shorten and 2 more were cancelled ...

At least some got a shorten cruise ...

We were booked on the March 18th trip from San Juan.

They sent cancellation notice 3 days before.

How do you recover from such a let down and recover all those expenses ??

This was our 30 year anniv cruise - re book in 3 days notice ??? LoL.

Note - they did say they could get us on April 1st in downgrade cabin but wanted $200 more per person - now they quote $400 more per person for that same cruise.

No credit to my charge account yet.

Message me if you were effected by what is now 2.5 cancelled cruises.

They knew they had this problem in January Feb time per what others said.

Sure any ship can have a problem but to instantly increase fairs $200 and now $400 is well beyond the credit for cancellation 25% bounus they were giving.

Not even repeat customers {me 6x} get a good break.

The Air Vouches they gave is marked $0.00 credit. WT ...

This should be a lesson for all those who consider Princess

and a lesson in SCAM that tops anything out of Africa.

Sheeeesk ... What a 30 Year Annv cruise ..:eek::eek::eek:

Princess offers a wonderful cruise experience but don't seem to understand how to handle when something goes wrong big or small. I'm sure you are going to get many responses about what you should have done and things can always go wrong. You are still right to expect that Princess makes things right. The longer it takes to do that, the harder and more expensive it becomes to retain you and all of us who become concerned as customers.

While calling it a scam might be going to far, you were right to expect an offer of choices of any cruise including an upgrade at no cost to you with re-imbursements for any other out of pocket expenses you incur. If that doesn't work for you, an immediate credit back to your credit card with a substantial discount on a future cruise. To ask you for more money after failing to deliver what they promised for any reason is very wrong.

Princess offers a wonderful cruise experience but don't seem to understand how to handle when something goes wrong big or small. I'm sure you are going to get many responses about what you should have done and things can always go wrong. You are still right to expect that Princess makes things right. The longer it takes to do that, the harder and more expensive it becomes to retain you and all of us who become concerned as customers.

While calling it a scam might be going to far, you were right to expect an offer of choices of any cruise including an upgrade at no cost to you with re-imbursements for any other out of pocket expenses you incur. If that doesn't work for you, an immediate credit back to your credit card with a substantial discount on a future cruise. To ask you for more money after failing to deliver what they promised for any reason is very wrong.

I agree. At the very least, you should have been offered the April 1st cruise at the same price you paid for your cancelled cruise. And I think you should have the choice of saving the 25% discount for a future cruise if you choose, or taking it in the form of an OBC on your current sailing. Some people talk about how generous this compensation is, but I disagree. It does not make up for lost vacation time and aggravation, and in your case, the disappointment of not being able to celebrate a once in a lifetime milestone.

We are anxiously awaiting news that the ship is fixed and good to go for our April 8th cruise. If Princess ends up cancelling the cruise before us, then I think its only fair to give us the option of cancelling our cruise without penalties so that we have at least a weeks notice to make other plans.

I'm sorry your vacation plans were disrupted. I know it's upsetting to you. I hope you can work something out for your special day.

I keep reading, though, how Princess knew the ship had problems with the engine and should have done something sooner. They had repaired it before and they didn't know if a problem would arise in 1 week or 1 year. If they had just decided to replace the engine on speculation they would have needed to cancel 2 weeks of cruises when there was no immediate issue. People on those cruises would have been furious and screaming here. Princess Cruises, just like anyone else, can't see the future. They handled the problem when it happened. Fortunately, the ship was never stranded in the middle of the ocean, everyone had all the comforts when on board and no one was in danger. As for pricing, I wouldn't be surprised if someone complained enough and kept going up the chain of command that something couldn't have been done.

As I have previously related, my ex and I ran into a similar problem with a cruise that was shortened (on the front end), port of embarkation changed by nearly 400 miles.

I was most frustrated that they only offered a 25% credit on a cruise to be taken within 6 months (as I recall), refund of the cruise fare, but no protection of the fare that we had gotten from them for the cruise. All of the future cruises were three times the cost for the same type of stateroom and we used all our vacation up trying to make the shortened cruise (we ended up having to drive rather than fly because of the problems that were caused--we were gone a full week and never saw the ocean, let alone our cruise ship).

Very frustrating.

Keep trying. My niece was upgraded to a guarantee mini at a better price than the 3/25 sailing and the 25% towards a future cruise. Have your travel agent work with Princess. My niece got nowhere until her agent called.

I am so sorry about your cruise cancel. Snatching time away is not easy, not to mention how disappointed and sad you are.:(

As much as I feel horrible for you and would be as or even more upset than you if I were in the same situation, your use of the word scam is misleading.

By defination a scam implies intent to deceive. I don't believe there is any intent on Princess' part or even deception...just absolutely horrible business practices and diplorable customer service.

A Scam is a situation where someone or some "Business" deliberately creates a situation where they go into something with the specific purpose of separating you from your money by deception and not giving your what they promised.

What has happened here is far from a "Scam" Only an Idiot would think that Princess deliberately caused the drive motor to fail so they could cancel these cruises. They are losing a tremendous amount of money due to this problem.

From everything that I have read, they are not only following the terms of the contract that YOU agreed to, but have gone beyond that to try to help the frustrated customers that have to reschedule. .

By your definition the Costa disaster must have been the biggest scam yet! After all their cruise had just started!

When the Crown tipped 5 years ago we were sailing on the next cruise. To make a long story short we were flying from San Francisco to NYC. Because the cruise was shortened 2 days Princess put us up in a great hotel, paid for all our food and gave us 1/2 our money back that we paid for the cruise. Were we scammed LOL

I agree. At the very least, you should have been offered the April 1st cruise at the same price you paid for your cancelled cruise. And I think you should have the choice of saving the 25% discount for a future cruise if you choose, or taking it in the form of an OBC on your current sailing. Some people talk about how generous this compensation is, but I disagree. It does not make up for lost vacation time and aggravation, and in your case, the disappointment of not being able to celebrate a once in a lifetime milestone.

We are anxiously awaiting news that the ship is fixed and good to go for our April 8th cruise. If Princess ends up cancelling the cruise before us, then I think its only fair to give us the option of cancelling our cruise without penalties so that we have at least a weeks notice to make other plans.

Don't count on that happening.

we were on the 5 day cruise to nowhere on the Crown in February. When i found out our embarkation was being delayed due to them sanitizing the ship because the previous ship had noro I immediately wanted to cancel. Sorry, cruise or lose your money.

Some people were on our cruise were scheduled to be on the following week and wanted to cancel.

Again, sorry sail or lose your money.

Bill

We have just been mucked about by Costa as we were to sail in June on The Costa Voyager on a Red Sea Cruise. They have cancelled the cruise as they are repositioning this ship to the Med due to problems with the Constellation & Allegra so we have lost heaps of money on Flights and accommodation booked in Egypt to accommodate this cruise so now we booked on the Caribbean Princess to sail around the British Isles - what is going on ?? If they cancel of delay this I will not be happy!

We have just been mucked about by Costa as we were to sail in June on The Costa Voyager on a Red Sea Cruise. They have cancelled the cruise as they are repositioning this ship to the Med due to problems with the Constellation & Allegra so we have lost heaps of money on Flights and accommodation booked in Egypt to accommodate this cruise so now we booked on the Caribbean Princess to sail around the British Isles - what is going on ?? If they cancel of delay this I will not be happy!

Your cruise is in June. The Caribbean Princess is due to be back in service April 1.

Even if there are delays it certainly won't be delayed months.

I would rest easy.

Bill

I know people take to these boards, to complain. I have found the best resolution to any problem is contacting any company directly by snail mail. We had some issues in the pass with Princess, and they always contacted us back and resolve the problem, very statisfied with them.

Archived