Bringing a DSLR camera on board(jewel).(is there a safe in room)

tommy2811

The safes are not that big - you might find it a bit of a squeeze depending on how big your camera + lenses are. Keep 'desirables' out of sight (in a case under the bed perhaps) would be sufficient IMHO.

Good point, Steve. Didn't think about the size of the camera. We always bring our laptop... that would definitely not fit in the safe. It goes into a suitcase under the bed when we're not using it.

Not sure about the Jewel, but if they're the same size as the ones on the Pride of America, we did fit our iPad in there with no problems. Like the others said, I think the biggest issues would be any lenses. A regular lens should fit, but if you have a longer lens, you might have some issues.

The safes are definitely small. If you have a camera bag where you store the body and lenses, it definitely will not fit in the safe. You'd have to put each individual part in. DH and I didn't bother since it was too much of a pain to have to load/unload each time we wanted to take the camera somewhere.

Got a combo lock for your luggage zipper and store your camera in your luggage. Anyone departing your room with your entire bag will certainly be picked up on the infinite number of cameras around the ship.

My wife and I each bring DSLRs (Nikon D5100 for her, Nikon D300 for me) with an extra lens. Each of our "carry ons" are camera backpacks so we leave the DSLRs in the backpacks and put them in the closet while aboard ship. We use one of the drawers for all of the accessories... batteries, chargers, etc. I also pack a small shoulder bag that is big enough for my Kindle and a Nikon P7000 P&S which is with me at all times while aboard ship.... don't want to miss any photo ops or opportunities to read a few pages.

That's my wife in the lower right corner with her Lowepro Flipside 200. I have the larger Flipside 400.

5874925831_aace0013e8.jpg

Corfu 03 by KathyCat102, on Flickr

Thanks. canon t3i. id only bring one lens... would be great for some sail away shots. some on ship shots and maybe at a port or two, but thats about it....

Hm....

Just had the t3i on the Jade;it fit in the safe just fine; though we always disconnected the lens so we could fit everything else in there.

Thinking about bringing my Camera on Board however Id only use it part of the cruise. it would spend most of the cruise in the room. s there a safe on board the Jewel?? BA cabin balcony.

thanks-

I have never figured out why people feel it necessary to lock their cameras, IPODs, IPAD, Kindles and other assorted electronic stuff in their safes. I just leave my stuff around the room wherever it is convenient. The only time iot is ever moved is when the cabin attendant straightens it up for me. Not that I expect him to do it but he does. I should point out that with my photo equipment, my wife's photo equipment, my computer, 2 pair of expensive binoculars and assorted other stuff - I am probably taking 5K or 6K worth of equipment.

Every time someone posts about this issue, I ask if anyone has ever had any of his electronics stolen from his room. So far, nobody has ever lost anything.

One guy was going to actually have all his photo equipment locked in the ship's valuables safe. Then whenever he wanted to take a picture, he would have to check it out. Absurd!!

DON

I have never figured out why people feel it necessary to lock their cameras, IPODs, IPAD, Kindles and other assorted electronic stuff in their safes. I just leave my stuff around the room wherever it is convenient. The only time iot is ever moved is when the cabin attendant straightens it up for me. Not that I expect him to do it but he does. I should point out that with my photo equipment, my wife's photo equipment, my computer, 2 pair of expensive binoculars and assorted other stuff - I am probably taking 5K or 6K worth of equipment.

Every time someone posts about this issue, I ask if anyone has ever had any of his electronics stolen from his room. So far, nobody has ever lost anything.

One guy was going to actually have all his photo equipment locked in the ship's valuables safe. Then whenever he wanted to take a picture, he would have to check it out. Absurd!!

DON

I agree about not finding it necessary to lock all of my camera gear up ...BUT... I certainly wouldn't leave it laying around and in the cabin stewards way. At least put the stuff in one of the drawers or on a shelf somewhere in the cabin. As mentioned above, we don't wander around the ship with our backpacks so we store the extra lenses and all in there and put the backpacks on the floor in the closet.

I just leave my stuff around the room wherever it is convenient.

Remember, the steward often leaves your room open when they are doing their stuff. If they have to go back to their base to get something an opportunist thief could walk by your open room, see something and grab it.

Out of sight is out of mind.

DON

Thanks, that said it only takes one time... quick story-. when i moved in to my house 17 years ago I never locked my car cause it was such a great neighborhood... well guess what happened.. needless to say I now lock my car......

I am a serious pretend photographer (read, hobby for someone with too much disposable income). I also have lots of other toys. I travel almost every week with lots of these and they always stay in the room, unsecured. The only thing I will ever consider putting into the safe is large amounts of cash. The ships especially are covered end to end with cameras. Not only is it obvious who would have taken your things to begin with, but they would be easily tracked throughout the ship.

That being said, the safe will fit a standard dslr with a kit lens. But I really think it will be kind of overkill. But if it makes you feel better about it, then by all means.

Gee, on the Epic I didn't even think about, nor try to hide, my DSLR. It sat in plain view on the back of the couch for 7 days when it was not in use.

Now, I'm not saying it was smart to do it but I did and thankfully it came home with me at the end of the trip;)

DON

I agree, I never lock anything but my cash and passports in the safe on the ship or hotel rooms. All of my electronics are neatly stored where I put them on the shelf. They have never been touched.

But then again my travel insurance covers stolen items from hotel rooms.

Archived