DIY Mykonos

scarlett81

Help!

Please give the best way to do Mykonos on your own. We have me and DH, 2 kids and my mom and dad. We have a great, very light travel stroller than folds and unfolds easily-great for carrying up steps and all the unpredictable Euro streets.

What are the highlights for this port? What is not to be missed? Any beaches?

Can you explain the lay of the land? Once we get off the ship, is there a transfer needed to get into town, or are we right there? I need to figure out logistically if I'll need to arrange for a taxi (or 2) to get all 6 of us into a town area, if its a long car ride, I'll need to bring the car seat along, etc.

Would you say its similar to Capri? We done that before. Thats the only gauge of reference I can think of.

Thanks alot! We are adventurous, that is sure :rolleyes:

We were there in 2009 and rented a car from Kosmos Rental Car. Very good people, met us at the port and gave us maps and directions.

Kosmos Rent a Car, Mykonos

Tel: +30 22890 24013, +30 22890 24980

Fax: +30 22890 24981, Mob: +30 6936521171

Dont miss the Windmills and Little Venice. We hit a few beaches along the route around the island.

Ftelia Beach had an amazing restaurant with a beautiful view.

Mykonos is one of my favorite places I've been and hope to go back someday.

countdown.pl?image=Beach-10&name=cojuqui&date=6-10-2012&text=Countin

PAST CRUISES:

Celebrity Solstice 6/26/09 Eastern Mediterranean

Carnival Conquest 08/10/10 Eastern Caribbean

Help! Please give the best way to do Mykonos on your own. We have me and DH, 2 kids and my mom and dad. We have a great, very light travel stroller than folds and unfolds easily-great for carrying up steps and all the unpredictable Euro streets. What are the highlights for this port? What is not to be missed? Any beaches? Can you explain the lay of the land? Once we get off the ship, is there a transfer needed to get into town, or are we right there? I need to figure out logistically if I'll need to arrange for a taxi (or 2) to get all 6 of us into a town area, if its a long car ride, I'll need to bring the car seat along, etc. Would you say its similar to Capri? We done that before. Thats the only gauge of reference I can think of. Thanks alot! We are adventurous, that is sure

As wisely noted by cojuqui, agree 100% and second the comment on "Mykonos is one of my favorite places I've been and hope to go back someday."

BUT, with six people in your very diverse group, things are little more challenging than just being a only two or four people of the same age and mobility. The main village of Mykonos is very interesting and easy for walking around, seeing the narrow "streets", various views, the harbor area, churches, etc. Below are some of my pictures to give you a little preview for how wonderful it is there. Also, in the first picture you can see that the pavement is not ideal for stroller use. This is Europe and rough pavement is more the norm.

We did a rental car and visited several of the beaches. We got a good sampling for what else is there on this island. BUT, having a party of six does make it harder in getting vehicle to hold a larger group if you wish to see the beaches. Not impossible, just more challenging. Will cost more and maybe require advance booking. Have been to Capri and love both of this charming, interesting and historic sites. Much on Mykonos will depend on where your ship dock or tenders, plus how many other ships will be port that day.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 70,503 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Here’s a sampling of the narrow flowered street in Mykonos in the Greek Isles with its many shops. The streets were made so narrow in order to fend off pirate attackers. It is an island with lots of history and legend dating back thousands of years, including connections to ancient Greek mythology. Ionians settled on Mykonos in the early part of the 11th century BC. As Delos developed as a sacred center, Mykonos was under the influences of the different people, including Phoenicians, Macedonians and Athenians. With the rise of Alexander the Great, the fate of Mykonos became a commercial center for agriculture and maritime trade. Mykonos flourished with enormous wealth during Roman occupation during the reign of Augustus Caesar. During the Middle Ages, Mykonos fell under the Venetians and later were victimized by the Saracens and latter the Turks. Starting in the 1950’s, its unique architecture, seclusion and hospitality have made it a haven for the rich and famous.:

1A-Myk-FlowerStreet.jpg

This harbor view in Mykonos shows one of the charming windmills. From as early as the 16th century, these are one of the most recognized landmarks of Mykonos. The island is 33 square miles in size and has a population of 9,300, mostly in its main village.:

1A-Mykonos-Harbor.jpg

Ladies departing a church service in main Mykonos on a Sunday:

1A-Mykonos-ChurchLadies.jpg

At the fish docks in Mykonos near many outdoor dining places that overlook the harbor.:

1A-Myk-FishDock.jpg

On the opposite side of the Mykonos village on the island, here's a sampling of the beachside activities. This includes Agrari, Elia and the long sweeping Kalafatis beach that has become famous to wind surfers:

1A-Myk-Beach1.jpg

1A-Myk-Beach2.jpg

Yes, we booked it in advance. We were only 4 but we were travelling with a larger group and asked they had larger vehicles that could accomodate a few more folks and they said yes. Although we didnt use them of course. We were there in July and the beaches were beautiful.

Here is the veiw from the restaurant I mentioned.

fteliamykonos.jpg.2b1a960914e9a52efd2d6030e7ad6c64.jpg

Yes, we booked it in advance. We were only 4 but we were travelling with a larger group and asked they had larger vehicles that could accomodate a few more folks and they said yes. Although we didnt use them of course. We were there in July and the beaches were beautiful.

Here is the veiw from the restaurant I mentioned.

Great picture!

Does the car rental have a website or did you have to call?

We have never rented a car in another country but it seems that this would be a good place to do so since we really can't get lost. We are there from 2 to 9PM. Do you remember how late the car rental place stayed open?

Where our ship docked it was a bit of a ways from the town...... the cruise line sold shuttle tickets for $8.00 per person. The shuttles ran all day continuously so you could come and go as your please. We used this day as a "chill out" day on our second Med cruise.

Once off the shuttle (in a parking lot near the town) we walked the harbor front area around to the windmills. Then back down to a cafe along the water for a cool drink and a bit of a rest. Then we walked back into the twisty windy streets, window shopping and shopping, stopping for a gyro (YUM) and then more exploring. When we were ready we walked back to the parking lot and caught the next shuttle (med size bus like vehicle) back to the ship where it let us out right at the gangplank.

We had debated whether to take the ferry over to Delos, but we were just too lazy :D but that is an option too altho I don't think I would do it with kids.

You can get more info at mykonosrentacar dot com. Or you can contact them at info at mykonosrentacar dot com. We dealt with Antonis Rotas and he was fantastic. I'm not sure about their hours but I am sure they will be accomodating since cruise lines are there a different times. Hope you love the island as much as we did.

PAST CRUISES:

• 2 weeks later...

We drove around the islands, stopped at a couple beaches, had a fantastic lunch, went to see the windmills, little venice. I just love being in another culture and hanging out.

PAST CRUISES:

Archived