do you diet before your cruise?

S.S.Oceanlover

We always seem to diet before our cruise. Does anybody else do this? We lose weight so we can go on the cruise knowing we will gain weight? I think we're nuts!!! Also the older we get the harder it is to lose. I'm sure not dieting on my cruise though. :D

Bill

:) going to Alaska in June, by reading these posts I'm looking forward to gaining a few lbs. on the cruise. I finally hit 100 lbs for the first time a couple of months ago (I'm 5 ft. 64 yrs. old). I guess the hard part will be keeping it on after I get home...

We usually cruise in March, so I will start weight-watchers in January. I will lose about 20-25 lbs when it is time to cruise. I usually get excercise while on the cruise to keep some of the weight down but deffinately don't let it get into my way of eating while on board.

Surprisingly I gained only 6 pounds on our last 15 day cruise.

Diet before? No.

Like JudyO above, I would be happy to gain 5 lbs on a cruise. Thin as a rail, eat as much or as little as I want - makes no difference. Just the way I am. (And my daughters hate me for it!)

Diet before? No.

Like JudyO above, I would be happy to gain 5 lbs on a cruise. Thin as a rail, eat as much or as little as I want - makes no difference. Just the way I am. (And my daughters hate me for it!)

So do I :D Not really. I'm jealous though. I used to be that way but now everything I look at I gain now. ;)

Bill

Well I always say to myself "I just got to diet before this cruise" and guess what I don't. In fact on the last cruise I took I came home, got on the scale and I had lost 5 pounds.:D Now don't get me wrong I ate and drank myself right through that ship. Maybe I was more selective, small servings, etc. Who knows. So now I just do not worry about it.;)

Marilyn

:D Were leaving on the carribean princess, and it was booked in feb. sometime. I started my diet and excersize then and to date have lost 30 pounds!! I have loved every minute of it. I am now addicted to excersizeing. I don't know if I'll excersize on my cruise, maybe, maybe not. I was told the average person gains 5 pounds a cruise! Thats okay, It won't take long to burn it off when I get back. I plan on having a blast on this cruise, its my first and 9 of us of our family is going!! God Bless you all and happy sailing also!!!

I know that since the "lose before you cruise" concept is so popular that some people won't like what I have to say... but: I used to diet before cruising, losing 10+ pounds before sailing. I keep a journal of my weight (since I had a weight problem as a teen) and on the cruises I dieted before I always would gain back what I had lost and then some. Then I started to do the opposite. Two weeks before I cruise I start to 'ramp-up' my eating, starting to have things I normally don't in my real life. Desserts, fried food, lots of carbs. Never eating huge amounts like on a cruise, just more than usual, and more "cruise-types" of food. Since I have begun doing this I have never gained more than five pounds on a cruise, which was easily lost afterward. I think it has to do with the fact that when you diet you're body starts to change how quickly it metabolises food. It starts to think, "I'm starving, I better start digesting more slowly", then when you get onboard and chow-down it's still in that mode, and the added food in your diet sticks. Of course all people are different, but it works for me. Also, with the (a) diet, (b) cruise, © diet again plan I was dieting twice. I say get your body prepared for the new procedure so it's not shocked into gaining the hard-to-lose kind of fat.

There is a thread here on CC called "Lose Before you Cruise" for those of you wanting motivation to lose for an upcomping trip. It helped me take off 30 pounds for my recent cruise! I am now down 40 and have about 40 more to go before our next cruise next February. I pretty much ate whatever I wanted this last cruise and only gained 1.5 pound, so that's not bad.

Best of luck to you "losers". :D

Jean

Archived