Things you can do in Juneau

CruiseTeacher7

Hi Folks,

I haven't cruised to Alaska but I have visited there twice (We are fortunate to have friends who live there and they have a nice scenic view of the port).

One note it pretty much is always overcast and rainy. If you get a bright sunny day well God was smiling on you that day :)

Also, its a busy port. I've seen 4-6 ships at a time.

First--Things to do within walking distance

Okay at the port there is a great sea food restaurant and I believe a smoked salmon store right next door. You can order salmon to send home to relatives or yourself. Its always good stuff.

A short distance away from the port is the Wharf. They have some restaurants and shops there. If the weather is nice (sunny) get a table outside and a pitcher of Alaskan Summer or Pale Ale.

Within walking distance of the port is the downtown tourist area. There are about two blocks of shops selling your typical tourist stuff. We got our father -in-law one of those Ulu Alaskan knives. Plenty of places to shop and there are a few bars. Try the Red Dog Saloon or the Alaskan Hotel Bar. Be sure to order an Alaskan Brewing Co. product (I don't work for them, I just think their stuff is awesome).

If you are up for an adventure there is the Mt. Roberts Tram. It costs a little money but it will take you up and then back down Mt. Roberts. Nice scenic views and I think if you buy something you get a free ride (we hiked up Mt. Roberts one time, bought something and got a free ride down). If you are really up for an adventure there is a trail head for Mt. Roberts that you can walk to from the port. You can hike up and then pay for the ride down. Caution--some hiking trails are very slippery and I've busted my butt a few times on them :)

One note--if the Salmon are running you might seem them in the local streams downtown.

These activities might take sometime and you would need to book an excursion or hire a cab. These are things that I have personally done:

a. Mendenhall Glacier--Typically there are large bus groups that go there. I've been twice. A nice scenic view of the glacier. There are some hiking trails there. You might see a bear if you are lucky.

b. Alaskan Brewing Company brewery tour. I've been twice and it never gets old. Their stuff is very very good. They give you like 5 or 6 free samples. Its awesome.

c. Ocean kayaking with a glacier view (of Mendenhall Glacier). Expect a bus ride in an old school bus from the port. You have maybe 1-2 hours on the water. A little choppy and possibly rainy.

d. I've done a boat tour of the Tracy Arm Fjord. This was like a 8-9 hour trip. If your cruise is docked like all day (12+ hours) it might be okay to go, but you might also be chancing it. If the cruise offers the excursion through the cruise itself then yeah you should be okay (I don't think the ship is going to leave w/o you). If you book it privately you might be chancing it. Anyways, this was an AWESOME trip. You really get back into the Fjord and see scenery you can't seem from the cruise ship. The area by the glacier at the end is other worldly (imagine glaciers calving and 'rock falls' i.e. water falls of tumbling rocks).

Well thats all I have to say about that.

Enjoy.

It was very nice of you to post the overview of Juneau. We have our first Alaska cruise booked for September and I'm just now beginning to scratch the surface. I'm a Caribbean gal my nature and don't have a clue when it comes to cool Alaska. Thanks for your insight.

Pat

Thanks for the great overview, CruiseTeacher7. Not sure if the seafood restaurant you're referring to is Tracy's King Crab Shack. I've been reading a lot about that one and my mouth is watering already. $24 seems a high price for one leg but it's 12 ounces! I HAVE to have one.:D

On the road going out to Mendenhall Glacier - there is a salmon fist hatchery. My DH wanted to go - I wasn't really thrilled - but after we got there and went through the very detailed talk that the tour leader gave, I am glad we went.

Learned more about Salmon, the different species, and the difference between free range and hatchery breed. It was really interesting.

I do recommend it.

Also, if you want items that are authentic and Alaskan made - go a little bit off the beaten path - up Franklin Street there is a trading post (can't remember the name). They carry and advertise that their items are truly native made. It is worth trying to find.

Previous Cruises:

Alaska - Westerdam - September 2009

Alaska- Rotterdam - September 2010

Mexican Riveria - Oosterdam - April 2011

• 1 month later...

Archived