Sea Princess - Alaska 2012 - Yes or No?

room010

I have a tiny window in early July (10 days) for a family cruise to Alaska which may well prove to be the last one with two now-adult kids (18 and 21) and short Aussie uni mid-year vacations. I am the 'cruiser' of the family but think I can swing this one if I can persuade Capt Grumpy and his Motley Crew to come along.

I believe Sea Princess is about to be refurbished and the San Fran - Inner Passage - San Fran itinerary is just about perfect for us as we have to fly a loooong way there. An added bonus is that we have family in Victoria BC (the penultimate port of call) where we'd probably 'jump ship' for a long overdue family reunion.

According to the Princess website the ship is more or less full. I am cynical enough to believe this might not be the case so I have my TA on it. My question is that as a Princess first-timer is this a good idea in the first place? I cruised Alaska with my elderly mother in 2010 on HAL and it was fine (for us) but I don't think that would work for the kids.

Advice please?

Princess really is a great way to do Alaska. The cruise out of San Frank is great as you have an opportunity to see some of that great city, includes some fantastic places in Alaska and you have a few sea days to relax in there aswell - can be needed when doing Alaska

I would not hesitate to book the Sea Princess. If it is full, get on the waiting list. As soon as the final payment is due, many will drop out, so you would still have a chance. I did the Sea Princess with a ocean view and it was fine. I went outside for the sailaway on the top deck and that was perfect. Then for many viewings, such as in the fjords I just went to deck 7 where I had a covered viewing place that was never crowded. If you go there near the pass through you can easly walk from one side of the ship to the other and stay out of bad weather at the same time.

Loved this cruise.

I have a tiny window in early July (10 days) for a family cruise to Alaska which may well prove to be the last one with two now-adult kids (18 and 21) and short Aussie uni mid-year vacations. I am the 'cruiser' of the family but think I can swing this one if I can persuade Capt Grumpy and his Motley Crew to come along.

According to the Princess website the ship is more or less full. I am cynical enough to believe this might not be the case so I have my TA on it. My question is that as a Princess first-timer is this a good idea in the first place? I cruised Alaska with my elderly mother in 2010 on HAL and it was fine (for us) but I don't think that would work for the kids.

Advice please?

I can't mention names, but I'm sure that you would like to become a 'smart cruiser'.

Sea Princess is a nice little ship, and I am sure that your mother can't be any older than my wife and I. Sea Princess used to be, and probably still is popular with the 'Brits'.

Good luck, I am sure that you will be able to find a cabin.:)

john

I was on the Sea Princess a couple years ago, Panama Canal, was supposed to sail on her to Alaska last Sept, had to cancel - medical, am scheduled to sail on her this June to Alaska. Evidently I like the ship:), it's smaller so everything is easy to get to without thinking you needed a taxi to get from one end of the ship to another!:D

I think you, Capt Grumpy & his motley crew would enjoy the ship as well as the itinerary.

Yes, I took the cruise that Treven couldn't make. Our 1st PCL. The Sea is a good ship, and the itin from SF makes it a nice cruise.

We loved our shore excursions--we are in our mid 60's and both have bad legs and backs.

We didn't get off the ship in Victoria. Mike couldn't walk that day. We watched the tugs refueling the ship from our balcony. (starboard side). The Captain told us it cost $864,000.00-- ish to refuel that day. :eek:

My TA says this cruise is VERY popular and sells out early.

Pat

I believe Sea Princess is about to be refurbished and the San Fran - Inner Passage - San Fran itinerary is just about perfect for us as we have to fly a loooong way there. An added bonus is that we have family in Victoria BC (the penultimate port of call) where we'd probably 'jump ship' for a long overdue family reunion.

Advice please?

I was a first time cruiser and went on the Sea Princess out of San Francisco last July. It was a great trip, very nice ship, the crew, food and entertainment were great! Alaska was awesome. I can't wait to go on another cruise with Princess.

Evidently I like the ship:), it's smaller so everything is easy to get to without thinking you needed a taxi to get from one end of the ship to another!:D

True. HOWEVER, when I first sailed on one of her sister ships, the CD informed us that the ship was soooo big, that the bow, and the stern, were on different time zones!:D

john

Advice please?

I dont know if this will happen to you, but when we went on a Mexico cruise we booked a balcony and my daughter and grandson booked an inside room; then about 3 days before our cruise Princess called and asked if we would like to all four share the family suite at no extra charge. Of course, we took that and we both had our own separate rooms with a shared sitting area and balcony. I guess a lot of the time the family suite is not booked so if they see family members traveling together they offer this as an upgrade and then have two more available cabins.

Thanks for your helpful replies. To clarify I am a reasonably experienced cruiser but this would be my first with Princess and our first as a family. Its a great itinerary which is my #1 consideration when choosing. I realise that its probably fully booked but as mentioned, once people have to cough up the $$$$ I'm sure a few bookings will be cancelled. There is also the possible problem of flying into the US (San Fran) and out of Canada (VanQ) but I'm sure it's not insurmountable. Thanks again.

Hi Room010

We are doing the Sfo to Alaska and back on the Sea Princess and then on to Sydney and home...

I was concerned (I haven't looked up your in iternary/) But Victoria is our first port of call? Is it not yours? Would be a waist going all that way then a few days on the ship and not see it all :)

Thanks for your helpful replies. To clarify I am a reasonably experienced cruiser but this would be my first with Princess and our first as a family. Its a great itinerary which is my #1 consideration when choosing. I realise that its probably fully booked but as mentioned, once people have to cough up the $$$$ I'm sure a few bookings will be cancelled. There is also the possible problem of flying into the US (San Fran) and out of Canada (VanQ) but I'm sure it's not insurmountable. Thanks again.

I took the liberty of checking the 'hint' that I gave you, there is still space available on the ship.

john

I really liked the cruise - did it twice - but if you're thinking HAL would be unsuitable for the kids because the Holland crowd skews older, be forewarned that the pax on this cruise ain't, by and large, spring chickens neither.

There are a limited number of cruises going into and out of SFO, so they tend to sell really, really well. But you don't have to go to a TA to find room; if you're talking about the 7/2 sailing, according to the Princess site there's availability in every category below suite.

Also, you might find it economically smarter to cross the border into Seattle and fly home from there. Or not.

But....you said you have a 10-day vacation? Since the cruise alone spans 11 days, or 9 if you disembark in Victoria, and you're planning to spend time in B.C., would that actually work? You could also look at a 7 day RT Seattle....

Advice please?

YES.

LOVE the Sea Princess. You and your family will have a blast. I'm around your kids' age, there is no need for a teen club to have fun! It's a perfect family cruise!

I have gone to Alaska 4 times now on Princess... there must be a reason why. Princess is the best when it comes to sailing Alaska. You won't regret it.

Princess all the way.

Do not worry about young adults! If I'm near their age and I can have fun, they can too! I have more fun on the ship than those kids in the clubs onboard.

Plus, the Sea Princess is a really nice size ship.

Sea Princess is being refurbished after it's Alaska sailings, not before.

Bon Voyage! :)

I took the liberty of checking the 'hint' that I gave you, there is still space available on the ship.

john

Mr Green your hint wouldn't work if she is based in Australia....They are unable to sell cruises to her unless she meets several lots of criteria ...ie American passport,and address..

Nice thought tho

Archived