Best Cruise Line For Families

hiro51

I am wondering if any cruise line is better for kids. My kids will be 10, 7, and 5 at the time of our cruise. I would like to be able to drop them off in a program some of the time.

Which line has the best kids activities/programs?

All of your kids are of an age to enjoy ANY of the ships/cruiselines kid's club. RCI, Carnival, NCL are all great with kids. Many folks also report that HAL, Princess and Celebrity have good kids activities, too.

I'd pick the itinerary and ship, and then just go for it. Your kids will have a blast no matter which line you pick!

Your 10 year old will be able to check themself in and out on most lines, but you will have to drop and pick up the younger ones.

I agree with cb that your kids will any of the cruise lines' clubs! We've done two Carnival cruises, and one RCI. My kids had fun in the clubs on all the ships. By the third cruise, my then-nine year-old was going on scavenger hunts throughout the ships with a team of kids from the club, and my then-six year old made some good friends in her age group. They both loved Carnival's water slides.

I would look at the itineraries and prices and then assume your whole family is going to love it and you'll want to go again -- all of the lines have loyalty programs that will keep you coming back for more.

Have a great cruise!

We have done two cruises with RCI and six with NCL with our daughter and she loved the kids club on every ship. An advantage in my mind to NCL is that with no set dining time you have more flexibility eating with a mixed age group of kids. Sometimes my daughter wanted to eat in the buffet and rush to her kids club activities and then DH and I had a DATE in one of the specialty restaurants. I'm sure that any of the mainstream lines would have great kids programs because they cater to families.

You want to talk to CrusinMama....but I bet she'll say NCL!

We've really enjoyed RCI with our baby/toddler, but I don't have experience with older kids!

Ha! Not necessarily ;) For us it's a toss up between RCI and NCL. We are jumping back and forth between the two at this point :) Up next - Epic, but I know my girls would love a cruise on Oasis/Allure.

Our fellow CCs said this.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/cruiserschoice_index.cfm?category=Family&sort=large

1. Allure of the Seas

1. Disney Dream

1. Disney Magic

4. Oasis of the Seas

4. Carnival Legend

Thanks for the link to that article. We are leaving on the Carnival Legend in 2 weeks. For weeks now I have been 2nd guessing my choice of ship, etc. But I know the reasons I picked this ship (size and time of travel & ports). Glad to see its rated really well. 1st time on Carnival (only ever done the Disney Dream). But its vacation, and its what you make of it right? ;)

Cruise Mama,

sounds like you've cruised a lot with your kids. My DH and I have two kids...girl 10, boy 8...and we are finally taking them on a a cruise. Only my DH and I have cruised before (it was a long time ago), but this time it's a family trip. We are cruising on RCCL Freedom on the Seas. Any tips?

I've sailed in Carnival, Disney and Princess, always wanted to do RCCL, but ports and time never aligned.

IMHO there are many considerations when picking a cruise; ports, price, schedule. I guess if you are doing Caribbean than the sailings are so numerous that it comes down to ship/price. For many other places I'd say the larger vacation / destination should factor in.

As another poster noted, if you sail any of the major lines they will all have programs that will have activities that should entertain most kids. They will offer supervision from morning thru evening including dinner that frees the parents if they so choose a vacation without kids.

My prioritized order would be Disney, RCCL, Princess, Carnival from the little research I've done and my wife and I like to cruise when we choose that as our vacation choice.

I am wondering if any cruise line is better for kids. My kids will be 10, 7, and 5 at the time of our cruise. I would like to be able to drop them off in a program some of the time.

Which line has the best kids activities/programs?

Cruise Mama,

sounds like you've cruised a lot with your kids. My DH and I have two kids...girl 10, boy 8...and we are finally taking them on a a cruise. Only my DH and I have cruised before (it was a long time ago), but this time it's a family trip. We are cruising on RCCL Freedom on the Seas. Any tips?

My girls love the Freedom class! You will have a great time! And there wasn't all of the new "enhancements" to the ships when we were onboard.

I can tell you their favorite things

--free ice cream at the pool deck next to the H2O zone daily (no reason to pay for Ben & Jerry's)

--pirate parade (they take over the ship)

--talent show

--ice skating -- BRING socks and LONG pants

--rock wall climbing (you have to be there to sign a waiver)

--mini golf (it does get windy and who really keeps score)

--COOKIES at Cafe Promenade - they would give milk (for free at the time) if you asked

--Pizza every night for a snack at Sorrento's after they got out of Adventure Ocean and there was ice water there at the back

--The kids can order off of BOTH the kids menu and the Adult menu in the main dining room. The links to the menus and such are at photobucket in my signature - just click on Royal Caribbean when you get there

I haven't been onboard to see the new Character meals and parades - so I can only imagine they shouldn't be missed.

Cruise Critic Choices for Families

http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=2

Top Picks Overall

1. RCI Oasis, Allure, Freedom, Liberty, Independence of the Seas

2. Carnival Dream & Carnival Magic

3. Norwegian Epic

Top Pick for Younger Kids

1. Disney Dream

2. Ruby Princess, Crown Princess, Emerald Princess

Top Pick for Multi-Generational

Princess

Thanks for the responses. We are taking our little one's who will be 6 and 3 on the Explorer in March 2014. We look forward to our family's first cruise and hope to do more. Any advice on what to bring, what not to bring for the kids??

Archived