Riviera Completes Sea Trials

LauraS

• Administrators

I received a quick note from the folks over at Oceania asking if I'd like to share this with you all -- of course, the answer is 'yes', so here it is! Exciting stuff!

OCEANIA CRUISES' NEW 'RIVIERA' COMPLETES SUCCESSFUL SEA TRIALS

MIAMI, March 27, 2012 - Oceania Cruises' 1,250-guest Riviera, scheduled to be christened in Barcelona on May 11, 2012, successfully completed her sea trials today, which included three days of sailing the Mediterranean.

During the sea trials, technicians and engineers from Fincantieri's Sestre shipyard along with Oceania Cruises' marine and technical teams performed a comprehensive evaluation of the vessel's functionality, including speed, maneuverability, hydrodynamics, propulsion and safety systems.

"Riviera exceeded all of my expectations. While underway the ship handled perfectly in all sea conditions and power settings" said Captain Luca Manzi, the ship's master. "Riviera cruised at more than 21 knots with ample reserve power."

Now that sea trials are concluded, the 66,084 ton ship will dock at the outfitting berth, where workers will put the finishing touches on her interiors as well as exterior.

"Riviera's sea trials were a resounding success," stated Robin Lindsay, the line's executive vice president of vessel operations, who was on board during the sea trials. "With the sea trials behind us, we will turn our undivided attention to the final details of the interior. Guests on our May 16 maiden voyage are certainly in for a treat."

Poised to take its place as another "game-changer" for the upper-premium segment, much like its sister ship Marina which debuted in February 2011, Riviera is the second new ship launched by Oceania Cruises in under 18 months. Designed for epicureans, Riviera features 10 dining venues - six of which are gourmet restaurants, plus a Bon Appétit Culinary Center for hands-on learning and La Reserve by Wine Spectator, a professional facility for wine-tastings and wine-pairing dinners.

Riviera sets sail on May 16 on her 10-day maiden voyage from Venice to Pireaus that calls at Dubrovnik, Kotor, Corfu, Monemvasia, Crete, Santorini, Kusadasi (for Ephesus), Delos and Mykonos.

I was booked on what was supposed to be the maiden voyage in April from Athens to Istanbul. Turns out we cancelled to try Silversea instead but I was curious what people received (free cruise, refund, etc.) since it looks like the launch was delayed a month.

We were originally booked on the 2nd sailing May 6th from Istanbul to Venice and ended up rebooking for the Oct. 4th Venice to Athens sailing as we really had our hearts set on Greece. The credits received by people varied depending on their cabin category. We received $300-$350 (can't recall exactly) per person but we also had to go up from B4 to B2 because B4 was wait listed on this sailing so there was an additional cost involved with that. IMO, they shouldn't have charged us the small amount for the upgrade but it wasn't a big deal as it was relatively insignificant. My mom, however, received a smaller credit as she was only booked in an ocean view stateroom and then she had to pay a much bigger difference to upgrade to the B2 category. Overall, we're ecstatic about our upcoming trip and are counting down the days (6 months!).

• 3 weeks later...
I am so glad to hear that all went so well it is getting so close..I will board May 6 and will blog from there every day watch for my review..

Jancruz1

Looking forward to it. We're considering booking Riviera for July 2013.

Archived