Hilton Newark Penn Station

joyful1nh

My family of 3 is sailing on Explorer 2/24/13 out of Bayonne. We are taking Amtrak in from Boston, so we can either stop at New York Penn, stay in the city, and take a car service to Cape Liberty; or stay in Newark (oh lovely) and grab a taxi to Cape Liberty (unless someone knows of a reasonable car service).

I've stayed at the Hilton Newark Penn Station before and was not impressed (there was a very loud wedding party there during my stay), but I like the idea of getting off the train and crossing the street to the hotel. We will be arriving around 5PM on a Saturday. All we want is a place for dinner and to hang out and watch TV and then sleep. I took a taxi to the port back in 2006 or so, and I think it was about $40 - does this sound right? The room rate is $150 and I'm okay but not thrilled with the rate.

I'm also looking at the Intercontinental Times Square (love that hotel) at $245 a night. I have a car service that quoted $60 for a minivan from the hotel to the port - I've used the car service before (Carmel) and I'm okay with them. With luggage in February, I would also need a taxi from the train station to the hotel - probably $15 with tip. I'm not thrilled spending this much, but it is NYC and a fabulous hotel so I'm okay with it.

Anyone stayed at the Hilton lately - has it improved since 2006-ish? The convenience factor is appealing, and I know if I stay in NYC I'll end up spending money on something to entertain us:) In Newark we'll eat and watch TV.

Thanks for your suggestions!

The 2/24/2013 cruise will be popular and there will be many cruisers staying in the Newark Airport area. I think you've well stated the pros and cons of the two choices you are considering, which is probably why no one has responded.

I'd like to offer some other thoughts. I've sailed out of Bayonne 5 times in Feb and flown out of Newark Airport to San Juan several times in Feb - the potential bad weather was always a big concern. I've booked last minute hotels at the airport because of snow. The primary objective was always to NOT miss the ship or plane.

Unless a night in NYC is really important to you, I'd stay in Newark. If you didn't care for the Newark Penn Station Hilton, you should look at airport hotels. Everyone seems to like the Marriott. The Renaissance has just been redone. We often recommend the hotels on Glimcher Realty Way in Elizabeth - Marriott Courtyard, Country Inns, and Residence Inn. These hotels are next to Jersey Gardens Mall, which would at least be a place to check out the evening you are there. It has a food court and movies in addition to shops. I don't think taking the monorail from the Newark Airport station to P4 to pick up a hotel shuttle is much worse than getting yourself across the skywalk into the Hilton.

Many cruisers will be staying in these hotels. It should be possible to connect with others to arrange shared transportation to the port at a reduced cost for everyone. I did this last year - 7 of us used Independent Driver and paid $10/pp to and from the port in a shuttle van.

we stayed at hilton newark penn in feb it was ok, great location to get back and forth to ny ,but we also stayed pre-cruise at courtyard by marriot in elizabeth great hotel and area for pre-cruise which Carol 138 east recomended

We've stayed there twice and will be staying there again in Nov and next March. We take Amtrak from DC and walk via the enclosed walkway to the hotel. We eat dinner across the street at Don Pepe's. It's about a 5 minute walk. We then have breakfast in the hotel and have the doorman call a car service to take us to the pier. The doorman told us he doesn't call cabs and it's really no more expensive to take a car service.

Newark Penn Hilton is fine for one night and you can't beat the convenience of stepping off the train and walking over the bridge to the hotel. Also consider the fact that you will only need to purchase local transportation once (Hilton - Cape Liberty). Don Pepe's food is great.

Thanks for all your feedback!

I booked the Hilton Newark - between saving a few $$ and the convenience of the hotel location I think it suits us. And of course there is that little 'winter weather' thing 138East reminded me of - after this winter I'd sort of forgotten that it does sometimes snow in the Northeast:)

BND - do you recall the approximate cost of the car service? I'd just like to know about how much to budget for ground transportation.

Are taxis fairly plentiful at the port on return day since I'll need to get back to the Amtrak station?

>>Are taxis fairly plentiful at the port on return day since I'll need to get back to the Amtrak station?<<

There is a taxi dispatcher to your left once you leave the building. You will see a pax queue line going to the 2 NYC airports and the EWR airport. Tell the dispatcher that your are going to Newark Penn Station.

We had the Hilton doorman call for a car to the pier, with the fare at $48.00. About a 25 min ride with no traffic.

• 2 months later...
Thanks for all your feedback!

I booked the Hilton Newark - between saving a few $$ and the convenience of the hotel location I think it suits us. And of course there is that little 'winter weather' thing 138East reminded me of - after this winter I'd sort of forgotten that it does sometimes snow in the Northeast:)

BND - do you recall the approximate cost of the car service? I'd just like to know about how much to budget for ground transportation.

Are taxis fairly plentiful at the port on return day since I'll need to get back to the Amtrak station?

Approx $50. Don't remember exactly, but it was reasonable and better than a cab.

We've never gone back to the Newark train station. We take the Acela and it's easier to go depart out of NY Penn and we sometimes spend a couple of extra days in Manhattan after the cruise. We reserve a car service (Dial 7) and they pick us up at the pier and take us into the city. We've had great experiences with them also.

Archived