Women - Formal nights dress poll

SFfranks

Hi,

I will be wearing long evening dresses for 2 of the formal nights & a cocktail dress for the 3rd. My DH & FIL will be wearing Tux's. If we have to pay excess baggage, then so be it. :)

We love love love to dress up. Hubby wears a tux and has a mix of ties, cumberbunds and vests to mix it up. I usually wear an evening gown on one night and a cocktail dress for the rest. The trick is getting one pair of shoes that work with everything. Last cruise a pair of black satin ninewest platform sling back pumps did the trick! If the lines ever discontinue the tradition we will probably still do it because we enjoy it!

Hi,

I will be wearing long evening dresses for 2 of the formal nights & a cocktail dress for the 3rd. My DH & FIL will be wearing Tux's. If we have to pay excess baggage, then so be it. :)

As I recently explained to DH, one extra bag costs about the same as a bottle of wine on the ship. If we can afford the wine, we can afford to not have me whine about not enough space to pack.:D

The round trip air for our next cruise was purchased for $10/ pp with FF miles. We have an airline branded credit card which gives us one bag each free. I think we can manage an extra bag for a 15 day cruise.

Aww, I wonder if that was my husband he saw. My hubby loved his Texas vest and bow tie so much! He was proud to be a Texan. :) When he passed away last year I even had him buried in it.

So sorry to hear about your hubby,i believe we have cruised with you before,ain't nuthin better than Texas.....

Kimberley

Wow! Lots of responses, thanks everyone! Looks like i will bring a mix. Luggage is an issue but I'm ready to fork over some over weight fee's and extra baggage fee's if necessary! I usually bring one suitcase of shoes only! I like to have options! We usually get our first bag free for each of us anyway and always have a $200 baggage reimbursement with American Express so we should be ok.

I'd like to hear more about the Amex baggage reimbursement. Is this a new perk? I'm assuming you need the Amex with the $450 annual fee? So they refund fees you pay for luggage on flights?

I'd like to hear more about the Amex baggage reimbursement. Is this a new perk? I'm assuming you need the Amex with the $450 annual fee? So they refund fees you pay for luggage on flights?

Yes you must have a platinum card for the 200 dollar reimbursement for luggage fees.If you think about it,this 200 is almost half of the cost of the card.There are many more perks with the platinum card.

Kimberley

Will be going on our 1st med cruise in May (12 nights) and looking forward to dressing up on the 3 formal nights as we seldom have a chance to do so back home.

DH does not own a tux so will be wearing a dark suit and tie. I'm thinking of wearing our Malaysian traditional dress, called the Sarong Kebaya on the 1st formal night . It has a long tight fitting sarong skirt with a long sleeved tight chiffon embroidered top. Because it's so fitting, can only wear at beginning of cruise before waistline expands!

On the other 2 nights, maybe a knee length Chinese cheong sam in embroidered brocade or a long dark blue sleeveless velvet gown which i had for years but still fits. On all other nights, plan to wear nice knee length dresses.

Would all this be appropriate? Advice welcome

Yes, perfectly appropriate.

Yes you must have a platinum card for the 200 dollar reimbursement for luggage fees.If you think about it,this 200 is almost half of the cost of the card.There are many more perks with the platinum card.

Kimberley

Just for clarification or if you found something that I can't find. This would really help a lot of people who travel a lot.

The AmEx Platinum (not Delta) is $450/year with - Up to $200 in Airline Fee Credits annually for incidental fees with your airline of choice.

Always looking for something better and more perks.

I have seen women (girls!) dressed as if they were going to the academy awards and some women who are clearly wearng their mother-of-the-bride getups. I try to keep it simple and over the years have found three dresses that pack well and don't take up much room--I would call them tea length. We are doing an extra month (almost) in Europe after our TA and I do not want to be lugging all that around, so I may just take one dress and wear it three times!

I didn't realize that mother-of-the-bride outfits were so distinctive as well as formal!

This makes me laugh. Us women can get away w/ slacks/skirt & a blouse (which is what I wear to work each day) as "formal" night wear...but the men have to wear suits or tuxes to be considered "formal".

Not so fast with that statement....

On formal nights in the MDR I wear designer black denim levis, a sweet club shirt never tucked in and a coat that immediately goes back to the room after dinner. No suits, tuxes, or corny polyester or cotton pants ever! :cool:

I'm guilty of being a single digit dress size. I have found that my local Salvation Army is a treasure trove of lovely gowns. Some of them are still brand new with price tags on them, so I have to believe that there is a local establishment donating them.

Let's face it gals, a woman will wear a formal dress twice. After that her entire social circle has seen it so to the thrift store it goes. I actually see more larger sizes in the thrift stores and consignment stores than single digit sizes. These days, the vast majority are synthetic knits that pack well.

I do have one full length gown that I bought new at Ross Dress for Less with my senior discount that cost me less than $30. My black gown was $5, but I had to pay $18 to hem it as it has a ruffle down the front and was hard to shorten. The lavender one, in my photo, was $10. I hemmed it myself.

When I tire of my thrift store gowns, I donate them back and get new ones.

On non formal nights I wear the floaty black pants with a black tank and pretty, floaty jackets or tunics over them. I also love those little dresses one buys in Ross Dress for Less for under $20 that are synthetic knit and pack like a dream. I'll mix them in with the pants outfits for evenings. I just got two knit dresses for well under $50 from QVC for both, shipping included.

I enjoy dressing for dinner. I think it's because we started to cruise in the 80's when everyone did. It makes a cruise special because it's so different than everyday life. It's like living in a fantasy world for a brief period of time.

I am far from a single digit size closer to a 16/18 and I too got my gowns from one of two places, Rescue mission( Good will to many) I got the periwinkle one for $9 it was the right size and length and still had it's tags..... the other two black dresses I got off Craigslist from some one who used them for the same thing ...cruises.... and decided to get something "new" from guess where... Craigslist.... I paid $20 for both black dresses total.

They were not bridesmaid-ish or prom-ish either, just elegant and lovely to wear!! I too will tire of them and trun them in or sell on CL and get others sometime!! Renew and recycle is always a good thing!!

:D

Your family must have looked gorgeous! I hope you had lots of photos taken.

I bought my DH a new cummerbund and bow tie for Valentine's day. They have the Texas flag on them. He saw someone with it on a prior cruise a few years ago and liked it so I tracked it down.

1888436272_captainpic001.jpg.b4082103ba9c2192efb6d95d6ca2acff.jpg

This is our favorite!

Ditto on the black with sparkly tops...

Me too. I wear black pants with sparkly or lightly beaded tops. I use the same black shoes for formal and dressy casual nights. The airline luggage limits definitely influence my choices. Since we prefer select dining and eat with different people almost every night repeating an outfit is not a problem. My husband wears a dark suit and tie.

[ATTACH]227462[/ATTACH]

This is our favorite!

Blessings on all of you! You have a wonderful family. I know how much you must cherish them all.

Thanks for sharing the photo. I bet that sometime in the future everyone on that cruise will look at the photo and relive the cruise again.:)

Just for clarification or if you found something that I can't find. This would really help a lot of people who travel a lot.

The AmEx Platinum (not Delta) is $450/year with - Up to $200 in Airline Fee Credits annually for incidental fees with your airline of choice.

Always looking for something better and more perks.

The one stickler I would see there is having to select just one airline. In a small market like I''m in sometimes you fly Delta, sometimes AA, Depending on how many trips we make a year might not run up a full $200 in extra on one or the other. Never really know which airline we'll take until we know where we're going.

The one stickler I would see there is having to select just one airline. In a small market like I''m in sometimes you fly Delta, sometimes AA, Depending on how many trips we make a year might not run up a full $200 in extra on one or the other. Never really know which airline we'll take until we know where we're going.

no your not stuck with just one airline,once you book your flight you send amer.express your details and you will be reimbursed what ever airline it is.

We are looking at Korean Air and i called to make sure i would get my 200 credit towards luggage and was told it doesn't matter what airline it is.

Kimberley

no your not stuck with just one airline,once you book your flight you send amer.express your details and you will be reimbursed what ever airline it is.

We are looking at Korean Air and i called to make sure i would get my 200 credit towards luggage and was told it doesn't matter what airline it is.

Kimberley

That's interesting, and apparently according to their small print the person you talked to was wrong. This is from their website.

"benefit is available to Consumer and Business Platinum Card® and Centurion® members only. To receive statement credits of up to $200 a year toward incidental air travel fees, Card member must enroll and choose a qualifying airline at http://www.americanexpress.com/PlatinumAirlineChoice. Only the Basic Card member or Authorized Account Manager(s) on the Card account can enroll and select the qualifying airline. Card members who have not chosen a qualifying airline will be able to do so at any time. It can take up to 48 hours post enrollment and airline choice for the benefit to be effective. Card members who have already selected a qualifying airline will not be able to change their choice until January of each calendar year at which time they may change their airline choice for that calendar year. Card members who do not change their airline selection will remain with their current airline. Statement Credits: Incidental air travel fees must be charged on the enrolled Card account for the benefit to apply. Incidental air travel fees must be separate charges from airline ticket charges. Fees not charged by the Card member's airline of choice (e.g. wireless internet and fees incurred with airline alliance partners) do not qualify for statement credits. Upgrade charges are not deemed to be incidental fees. The airline must submit the incidental air travel fees under the appropriate merchant code, industry code, or required service or product identifier for the charge to be eligible. Purchases made by both the Basic and Additional Card members on the enrolled Card account are eligible for statement credits. Each Card Account is eligible for up to a total of $200 a year in statement credits, regardless of the number of Cards on the Account.

So if they allowed more than one why would they go on so about choosing one and only being able to change it once per calendar year?

That's interesting, and apparently according to their small print the person you talked to was wrong. This is from their website.

"benefit is available to Consumer and Business Platinum Card® and Centurion® members only. To receive statement credits of up to $200 a year toward incidental air travel fees, Card member must enroll and choose a qualifying airline at http://www.americanexpress.com/PlatinumAirlineChoice. Only the Basic Card member or Authorized Account Manager(s) on the Card account can enroll and select the qualifying airline. Card members who have not chosen a qualifying airline will be able to do so at any time. It can take up to 48 hours post enrollment and airline choice for the benefit to be effective. Card members who have already selected a qualifying airline will not be able to change their choice until January of each calendar year at which time they may change their airline choice for that calendar year. Card members who do not change their airline selection will remain with their current airline. Statement Credits: Incidental air travel fees must be charged on the enrolled Card account for the benefit to apply. Incidental air travel fees must be separate charges from airline ticket charges. Fees not charged by the Card member's airline of choice (e.g. wireless internet and fees incurred with airline alliance partners) do not qualify for statement credits. Upgrade charges are not deemed to be incidental fees. The airline must submit the incidental air travel fees under the appropriate merchant code, industry code, or required service or product identifier for the charge to be eligible. Purchases made by both the Basic and Additional Card members on the enrolled Card account are eligible for statement credits. Each Card Account is eligible for up to a total of $200 a year in statement credits, regardless of the number of Cards on the Account.

So if they allowed more than one why would they go on so about choosing one and only being able to change it once per calendar year?

okay we chose Korean air for our reimbursement this year,which will eat up all of our 200 dollars,so there will be none leftover.It doesn't say you have to pick united or delta or so on....call them they can explain it much better than i can.

Kimberley

hahaha i called again just for you...;) here are some of the airlines amer express will honor the 200 luggage reimbursement.

Air Tran,Alaska airlines,American,Delta,Frontier,Hawaiian airlines,Jet blu,Southwest,Spirit,United,Continental,UsAirways...you can call for more.I say any gift of 200 dollars is better than none at all.

sorry y'all if we kinda hi-jacked this thread for a moment...:)

Kimberley

I have the Delta AmEx and that suits my needs. The first year is free, then $95. I really don't see paying $450/year to get $200 back for 1 airline. Just my opinion. Everyone has their preference. Thanks for the info.

hahaha i called again just for you...;) here are some of the airlines amer express will honor the 200 luggage reimbursement.

Air Tran,Alaska airlines,American,Delta,Frontier,Hawaiian airlines,Jet blu,Southwest,Spirit,United,Continental,UsAirways...you can call for more.I say any gift of 200 dollars is better than none at all.

sorry y'all if we kinda hi-jacked this thread for a moment...:)

Kimberley

Kimberley: I personally appreciate you sharing your info with me and am sure others do, too. Please do not take my postings on this subject personally. I just want an ROI and do not want to pay that much ($450)/year for any credit card. I would not get that much out of it. That is why I use my Delta AmEx. I know it must work for you and your needs.

Thanks again.

Archived