Noisy cabins on HAL

cruisun

I just returned from a cruise on the Celebrity Silhouette. It was enjoyable but overall I prefer HAL. One thing that stood out was how quiet the cabin was! It was so well insulated that I never heard one noise from above, below or from the cabin on either side. In addition, the balcony doors were sliders and it was a pleasure not to constantly hear (and feel) the slamming of balcony doors. After thinking about it I realized that Crystal and Oceania cabins also extremely quiet!

So I am curious, has anyone else noticed that HAL ship cabins are MUCH noisier than those on other lines? I wonder why the Vista and Signature class ships were not soundproofed better?! I love those ships but time in the cabin is not as peaceful as the others I have experienced:((

The cabin location and your neighbors have more to do with cabin noise, not the cruise line IMHO. Our worst noise was on the Veendam as we were the last cabin aft with a ocean view. At every port when they put out the mooring lines they would wake us up.

We sailed CCL back in the 90's and could hear our neighbors engaging in intimate relations.
LOL. I had that (and more) on the Big Red Boat cruise I took with my mother in the mid-late 80s. The berths from the cabins must have been bolted together through the wall. My bed bounced along with theirs. :eek: Her name was Sheila. I still remember that. I heard it often enough. :o

Never had that experience on HAL. All we've heard, in over 30 years on HAL, from adjoining cabins was the TV one cruise. I suspect they were hard of hearing so they cranked the volume up.

I agree that in some instances noise level has to do with locations and neighbors, but IMHO the HAL ships are not as well insulated as other lines. On Silhouette for example, there were no vents in the doors so hallway noise could not be heard and when the door was closed the room was silent! On Noordam, Nieuw Amsterdam and Eurodam we heard neighbors televisions, room stewards vacuuming and footsteps overhead. We were also awakened when balcony doors slammed and shook the wall behind the bed:(. Won't keep us from sailing HAL but the difference on Silhouette was significant!

I agree that in some instances noise level has to do with locations and neighbors, but IMHO the HAL ships are not as well insulated as other lines. On Silhouette for example, there were no vents in the doors so hallway noise could not be heard and when the door was closed the room was silent! On Noordam, Nieuw Amsterdam and Eurodam we heard neighbors televisions, room stewards vacuuming and footsteps overhead. We were also awakened when balcony doors slammed and shook the wall behind the bed:(. Won't keep us from sailing HAL but the difference on Silhouette was significant!

I don't know if it makes any difference or not, but all but one of the HAL ships in service are built by Fincantieri, and the Silhouette was built by Meyer-Werft.

Even that may have no bearing, as those companies constructed the basic hull and machinery, and other companies (perhaps even the same), constructed the modular cabins....

We have cruised over 40X and our cabin on Noordam,earlier this year,was the worst for noise that we have encountered.Our neighbor would turn on his TV at 6:00AM each morning and it sounded like it was on in our cabin.We could also hear the elevator dinging although we were the 3rd cabin back from that area.The following week,on Ruby Princess,we were right at the elevator and heard nothing.

Last Christmas we were on Statendam - we had the very last verandah-suite in the back chose it for the extra long balcony side and rear view. There is a door going out from the hallway to the rear of the ship right next to the door to the cabin. That outside door had a broken bar that would normally stop the door from slamming shut due to wind etc. during the day we could hear the SLAM of that door everytime someone would go out back - luckily at night no one headed out that way so it was only a nuisance during the daytime. The cabin is so awesome though and the balcony so enjoyable we booked the same room again this holiday - we are just hoping that outside door will have been taken care of!

Archived