Jewel Bahamas Cruise Is Complete

Highboy90

Sitting on the Jewel in NYC waiting to leave. My first cruise. There was good and bad. Weather was nice. Hit all ports. Will post a short review when time allows.

No updates or details regarding illness' on ship.

They usually don't advertise a cruise with NORO on-board unless someone posts it here. Just guessing but that may be the reason why we docked so early this morning also (0600 AM). NCL will need to "sanitize" the JEWEL prior to this afternoons departure. NORO usually hits 2 1/2 days out from port. Sure enough, that's what happened. The give-away is the salt & pepper shakes disappear along with the condiments are gone and your can't serve yourself.

They usually don't advertise a cruise with NORO on-board unless someone posts it here. Just guessing but that may be the reason why we docked so early this morning also (0600 AM). NCL will need to "sanitize" the JEWEL prior to this afternoons departure. NORO usually hits 2 1/2 days out from port. Sure enough, that's what happened. The give-away is the salt & pepper shakes disappear along with the condiments are gone and your can't serve yourself.

One in our group was sick before we hit Florida so you would be right. Was quarantined for 24 hours.

My review will be short and to the point. From a "virgin" cruiser. The good. The bad. General thoughts.

My daughter and her three college roommates returned yesterday from the cruise. One of the girls became sick on Tuesday night, and was told by the ship nurse to remain in her cabin on Wednesday, which she did. The other three girls left the ship on Wednesday assuming that the ship personnel would call their friend and make certain that she had fluids to drink, and was on the mend. She was never contacted during the day, and when the other three girls returned to the ship, they were very shocked to find a friend who had followed the ship directive to remain in her cabin, but had been left without food and fluids for an entire day. They went to the buffet to get her some food and beverages... I have difficulty understanding how/why the medical staff did not follow-up with passessengers who were restricted to their rooms...and provide beverages and food to assist passengers in their recovery. Needless to say, I understand that it is easy for a virus to spread under the close living conditions on a ship, but I do not understand why the ship wasn't more proactive in helping passengers who were sick, recover.

My daughter and her three college roommates returned yesterday from the cruise. One of the girls became sick on Tuesday night, and was told by the ship nurse to remain in her cabin on Wednesday, which she did. The other three girls left the ship on Wednesday assuming that the ship personnel would call their friend and make certain that she had fluids to drink, and was on the mend. She was never contacted during the day, and when the other three girls returned to the ship, they were very shocked to find a friend who had followed the ship directive to remain in her cabin, but had been left without food and fluids for an entire day. They went to the buffet to get her some food and beverages... I have difficulty understanding how/why the medical staff did not follow-up with passessengers who were restricted to their rooms...and provide beverages and food to assist passengers in their recovery. Needless to say, I understand that it is easy for a virus to spread under the close living conditions on a ship, but I do not understand why the ship wasn't more proactive in helping passengers who were sick, recover.

ummm I dont think its the ships responsibility.. She could of called for room service and the cabin stuart was prolly in the room at least 2x refreshing the water/ice..

actually....the cabin steward didn't come into the room...

and I still think that once someone goes to the medical office and is told to stay in their room, the medical office should follow up with the passenger.....just my opinion, obviously, and I plan to follow up with the cruise line tomorrow....

and I still think that once someone goes to the medical office and is told to stay in their room, the medical office should follow up with the passenger.....just my opinion, obviously, and I plan to follow up with the cruise line tomorrow....

I think maybe at least one of the 3 friends would have made sure there were plenty of fluids in the room before they left the ship or she should have called room service. She was not put into the ships infirmary just asked to stay in the room and not spread the virus. She was probably told to eat plain foods and drink for 24 hours and room service would have gladly done that.

Why didn't one of the 3 other people travelling with her make sure she was going to be taken care of? A simple call or stop at the medical office or front desk to advise them that she would be alone all day would have taken care of that. Don't blame the staff for something that is not their responsibility. As far as they knew, she had 3 other people to look after her.

WOW Really MOM....:confused:

way to leave a friend when in need and expecting someone else to do whats right. that's not the way i raised my daughter. me thinks this girl needs to find new friends... also i wonder how this girls parents feel about this if anything! and thank god nothing bad happened.!

ANYHOW-i am sure you'll call the cruise line to complain instead of doing whats right and teaching these girls what responsibility means!!

And under no circumstances do you ever leave a friend in distress behind hoping someone else will step in and do whats right. thats the real lesson here.!

WOW Really MOM....:confused:

way to leave a friend when in need and expecting someone else to do whats right. that's not the way i raised my daughter. me thinks this girl needs to find new friends... also i wonder how this girls parents feel about this if anything! and thank god nothing bad happened.!

ANYHOW-i am sure you'll call the cruise line to complain instead of doing whats right and teaching these girls what responsibility means!!

And under no circumstances do you ever leave a friend in distress behind hoping someone else will step in and do whats right. thats the real lesson here.!

Exactly. I am surprised the OP thinks NCL did something wrong but is fine with her daughter leaving her friend in distress. All I can say is WOW!

Whether frlends stayed or went, whether they left food and/or beverages, is not the argument. IMO the ships Doctor knew she was sick and a phone call from him/her just to say, "Hey, how are you feeling?" is just as easy as a phone call for room service. No matter how you cheer for Norwegian, there is some amount of ball dropping on their part in the form of customer service.

Indeed, her friends could have done a better job checking up on her.

Although, it would have have been nice for a phone call from guest services to show some interest/concern/courtesy for her as well. At the same time, they can make sure a person stays in the room so as not to spread anything further.

Both of my friends who went got Noro, i was the only one who didnt. One went to medical for it and was given a huge bottle of gatorade and meds to help with the pain and nausea. Also told that room service was a call away for free gingerale and Jello. She was feeling better in about 18-20hrs. They also followed up with a call from medical to see how she was doing and if she needed anything.

My other friend who went to medical because her arm got caught in the door due to strong winds also went to medical and also given ibuprofen and was followed up the next day with calls from reception, medical and security so they could make sure the door was roped off for the nights to come.

Overall, I was VERY impressed with how NCL took action on both of the situations!:)

I'm not sure what you think NCL did wrong?? Was she too sick to call room service?? In that case she should have called the medical center to come and get her.

What kind of friends leave for the entire day and expect someone else to take care of their friend?? They couldn't have ordered room serve or gone to the buffet for her before they left??

Guest LoveMyBoxer
Whether frlends stayed or went, whether they left food and/or beverages, is not the argument. IMO the ships Doctor knew she was sick and a phone call from him/her just to say, "Hey, how are you feeling?" is just as easy as a phone call for room service. No matter how you cheer for Norwegian, there is some amount of ball dropping on their part in the form of customer service.

Are you 100% sure that she didn't miss the call while sleeping????

Are you 100% sure that she didn't miss the call while sleeping????

No I am not however are the others posting the bad morals of the sick persons friends 100% sure the sick friend insisted that their port call not be ruined, and that she would be fine and to go on without her? So many scenarios for those of us that don't know ALL the facts. If indeed she was sleeping and misses the call, that would perhaps raise a flag that A. She left her stateroom after being asked not to or B. Perhaps she was very ill and being a doctor should perhaps check on her in person.

Sheils65 if you were there and that was your daughter that was sick or a friend of your daughter that was sick would you have went a shore?

I am sure your answer is no..... and there is the lesson that should be taught.

good luck and i hope she is feeling better.

Sheils65 if you were there and that was your daughter that was sick or a friend of your daughter that was sick would you have went a shore?

I am sure your answer is no..... and there is the lesson that should be taught.

good luck and i hope she is feeling better.

No, I would not have gone. However, no one bashing the friends think that a call from the Dr might be in line? I was not there, I don't know facts only trying to point out that people are quick to make snap decisions and cheer for NCL no matter what. I happen to love NCL and am always confident and comfortable leaving my cruising to them, I am just saying is all. It gets old.

actually, the girls had all pre-booked excursions in Nassau, which were pre-paid, before boarding the ship. refunds were not available, and the friends did leave their friend with supplies. the point is more to the ship's responsibility, and how they deal with a virus. and by the way, the girl did try to call room service, and was unable to get through. there were a lot of sick passengers by Wednesday.

according to the girls, by Tuesday evening, the ship staff must have known about the virus, since food was being served in the buffet. but they weren't advised that there was a contageous virus on board...and only after the fact did they learn that food being served in the buffet is a tip off to the fact that there is a virus on board. perhaps had the ship been more upfront with guests about the existence of a virus, which was spreading quickly, guests would have made different choices regarding activites that evening. especially knowing that the majority of ship passengers had been eating together all day at the island buffet.. when their friend first complained of symptoms, and they contacted the medical suite, they were told that the girl couldn't get any medicine, until she started throwing up...and then she did start throwing up, as in for one entire night, and when they again contacted the medical office, they did give her some medicine to settle her stomach, and one package of gater aide and then they told to have her stay in her room.....the medical suite had a list of passengers who had sought out their help, and knew which cabins they were in. it would have been a nicer experience for the girl had she not gotten sick......and it would have been psychologically nicer if the ship personnel felt they should reach out to her to make sure that she was ok and on the mend.....and if nothing else, from a selfish point of view, checking to see that she wasn't ignoring their medical advice, and contaminating some more passengers.....I wasn't on this cruise, and fortunately have never gotten sick on a cruise, but have to believe that it really is pretty awful to be cooped up in a small room, feeling sick. I don't think the knowledge that a significant number of other passengers were also sick is very comforting.....i hope that all of the cc people, who think that the ship has no responsibility, get to experience this type of virus, and then revisit their position.

actually, the girls had all pre-booked excursions in Nassau, which were pre-paid, before boarding the ship. refunds were not available, and the friends did leave their friend with supplies. the point is more to the ship's responsibility, and how they deal with a virus. and by the way, the girl did try to call room service, and was unable to get through. there were a lot of sick passengers by Wednesday.

according to the girls, by Tuesday evening, the ship staff must have known about the virus, since food was being served in the buffet. but they weren't advised that there was a contageous virus on board...and only after the fact did they learn that food being served in the buffet is a tip off to the fact that there is a virus on board. perhaps had the ship been more upfront with guests about the existence of a virus, which was spreading quickly, guests would have made different choices regarding activites that evening. especially knowing that the majority of ship passengers had been eating together all day at the island buffet.. when their friend first complained of symptoms, and they contacted the medical suite, they were told that the girl couldn't get any medicine, until she started throwing up...and then she did start throwing up, as in for one entire night, and when they again contacted the medical office, they did give her some medicine to settle her stomach, and one package of gater aide and then they told to have her stay in her room.....the medical suite had a list of passengers who had sought out their help, and knew which cabins they were in. it would have been a nicer experience for the girl had she not gotten sick......and it would have been psychologically nicer if the ship personnel felt they should reach out to her to make sure that she was ok and on the mend.....and if nothing else, from a selfish point of view, checking to see that she wasn't ignoring their medical advice, and contaminating some more passengers.....I wasn't on this cruise, and fortunately have never gotten sick on a cruise, but have to believe that it really is pretty awful to be cooped up in a small room, feeling sick. I don't think the knowledge that a significant number of other passengers were also sick is very comforting.....i hope that all of the cc people, who think that the ship has no responsibility, get to experience this type of virus, and then revisit their position.

Many of us have experienced noro, and know enough not to leave anyone alone for any length of time when they are suffering from it. (No longer than running to get them provisions if Room Service is busy.) I hope your daughter's friend is recovering and all of the girls have learned that sometimes you have to lose a excursion and the money that paid for it when you have a friend in need. NCL may have even allowed the cancellation without loss of funds if they explained at least one of them needed to stay with their sick friend. Did they ask?

Archived