Coki Beach

rabbit72

We were there last week. We paid $5 each for chairs. Not sure about the umbrella price as we had a nice spot under the trees (very near the dive shop).

We had 7 ships in port and the beach filled up quickly. We arrived around 10:30 and in our area, the chairs were rented by 11:30. I'm sure there are other chair rentals further down the beach. We were near the taxi stop and the bathrooms which is probably why our area filled up quickly.

They do have a nice bathroom and outdoor shower facility now. However the water ran out around 2 pm last week (so showers and bathrooms closed). My husband was told it runs off rain water and there hadn’t been much lately (or maybe the tons of people used it quickly).

I think the snorkel rental was $5-10 (I can't actually remember).

Coki does fill up quickly on heavy ship days because it is a small bay but it is gorgeous. We like to hit Coki earlier then around 11AM drive (or taxi) 10 minutes over to Sapphire which is a larger bay and doesn't get as crowded. Just a thought if it does get too crowded. We like Coki for the busier vibe and also late in the day after the ships have left, and Sapphire for a bit quieter vibe. Both offer excellent snorkeling.

Did Coki about a month ago on Enchantment... 4 ships in that day. We didn't get to Coki till about 130-2pm because we did the Butterfly Garden and Coral World first. It was crowded but found a spot about half way down. Grabbed a burger and a frozen drink called the Funky-Monkey.

Got chatting with an older local and by the time I left his little shack, he basically handed me a pitcher of booze for $7... He gives out free samples of the frozen goodness for you to try. A bit of rum, vodka, tequila, some other liquors... Strong... But good!!!

We had been there about 4 years ago and was talking with him about a few girls from NY that we met who worked for him serving drinks. They went there for thier spring break and didn't leave for 2 years!!! Also chatted with him for a few about a friend of his, who passed away, named 'Mail-Man' who would walk the beach with frozen drinks and a bottle of rum. The 'Mail-Man' served us a few potent ones when we were there in 2008.

I asked him for one of his specialties and he grabs the pitcher and starts pouring different liquors in... It was half full of booze before he put the mixer in and some ice. Hit the spin button and grabbed a few sample cups. I'm thinking he's making a full batch to use for samples after he pours my cup. Standard 16oz plastic cup.

He pours a sample cup and pushes it toward me. I had already sampled it earlier when we passed through on our way to get something to eat. Down the hatch. I go to set the cup down, he grabs it out of my fingers and fills it and hands it back to me with a grin on his face. I pound it down, go to set the cup down and he does the same. Grab, fill, serve. I look at him and he smiles and says "I'll get you drunk before you spend a dime."

FINALLY he grabs a regular cup and fills it. Shakes the blender pitcher, looks at it sideways, grabs another cup, fills that and pushes BOTH cups to me and then says. "That'll be $7..."

Did you just say $7?? Yes I did, you have a good day and enjoy your stay in St.Thomas... I handed him a $10, said thank you and told him we would be back next year.

Look for the shack that says it serves an all-natural smoothie and ask for the Funky-Monkey...

• 4 weeks later...

Archived