Pearl tips for a newbie?

flyboyswife

Travelling in two weeks on the Pearl from Miami to LA. First time on NCL after several great CCL cruises. Travelling with my husband and 5yr old daughter as well as my parents (70 somethings) who are regular Regent cruisers BUT whom have enjoyed our family cruises on CCL.

I've heard wonderful, but generic, things about the Pearl. Can you give me any tips to help make our cruise even more special? What not to miss and what to avoid? We are booked in mini-suites on deck 11 and I already know that means nothing other than a larger room (no extra amenities).

I'm especially concerned about dinner as we are used to a set (late) seating time. Any tips on when we should go to dinner so as to avoid waiting on lines to get into the MDR? Can you also confirm that I'll have to pay for my cappuchino in the MDR? I was used to complimentary coffee drinks on CCL.

Also, my folks have limited mobility (though they are not in wheelchairs). I'm concned about embarkation...any tips as to how to avoid a lot of standing around? Is there a better time to go to the pier? We will be arriving the day before, so we can go anytime.

Thank you in advance!

We love the Pearl, but will agree it is an average cruise. They do have complimentary coffee at dinner, but not sure about cappuchino. You can set-up an ADR for the same time everyday if you like, show times were 7:15p and 9:30 so set up your ADR for 5:30 or 7p. But we never had a problem getting a table in the main dining rooms, may be a different story in the specialty resturants.

I would suggest that if your parents have trouble standing around, just say something. I did hear one family tell the staff that their loved one needed to sit down and they made accomidations.

I have only been on the Pearl once in a mini suite on Deck 11. I cruised with my daughter in a wheelchair. Embarkation was great and quick. We were assigned a steward to assist us with the embarkation process. We were given priority boarding and were on the ship within 30 minutes. There was a worker from NCL as we entered and they asked if we would like assistance. If your needs are not as obvious just ask because they are great. You may also like to let NCL know about your families mobility issues ahead of time.

Another tip for your parents for the Summer Palace is that if you go down an extra floor at the rear lifts there are ramps to enter the restaurant. The person checking people in at the bottom of the stairs on the deck above (usual entrance) watches for people with mobilities issues and will gesture towards you for how many at your table. The longest we waited was 5 minutes here.

Eating late should not be an issue. You can even get food until the early hours of the morning at the Blue lagoon on Deck 8. I truly recommend the chicken wings here.

My wife and I just got off the Pearl on sunday. As far as eating at the MDR we went twice for dinner and showed up around 6:30 and got a table right away. There are 2 MDR with the same menu. The food was ok. We had lobster one night very dry and tough. I had grilled snapper the other night and it was very good. The wife had the mushroom ravioli and they were not good at all. We won a gift certificate to 3 specialty restuarants for 3 diffrent nights and that was why we didn't eat at the MDR more. As far as the specialty restaurants we ate at Cagneys (steakhouse) excellent food, we also ate at Teppanyaki it was good, we also ate at LeBistro (french) it was not good we were glad that we didn't pay for it. The one specialty restuarant that we paid for before we won the others was Modernos (brazilian) this place was amazing. We loved it. Other things to know is the Comedians are not always kid freindly. I would rate the comedy shows like PG-15. Most had sexual type jokes in the act. If you like to drink there is usually a 4.95 happy hour drink special in Modernos bar on deck 8 from 5-9. As far as embarkation we showed up at the port at 1015 and we were one of the first on the boat around 1145. We did have to wait in the chairs in the upper part of the terminal for a little under an hour. I will say that if you need something just ask the people with NCL. They really seemed to go out of there way to make sure you were happy and had what you needed.

On pretty much every cruise line I have been on, it is possible to get wheel chair assistance for embarkation (my mother requires it). When you are dropping off your luggage, ask the porter to get you a wheelchair and attendant and you will be fine. The attendant will bring your mother/father all the way onto the ship, avoiding standing in all of those lines.

The same thing is true for disembarkation. You just need to notify guest services in advance and a wheelchair and attendant will either come to your stateroom, or you will be told where to go to meet up with an attendant with a wheel chair.

Travelling in two weeks on the Pearl from Miami to LA. First time on NCL after several great CCL cruises. Travelling with my husband and 5yr old daughter as well as my parents (70 somethings) who are regular Regent cruisers BUT whom have enjoyed our family cruises on CCL.

I've heard wonderful, but generic, things about the Pearl. Can you give me any tips to help make our cruise even more special? What not to miss and what to avoid? We are booked in mini-suites on deck 11 and I already know that means nothing other than a larger room (no extra amenities).

I'm especially concerned about dinner as we are used to a set (late) seating time. Any tips on when we should go to dinner so as to avoid waiting on lines to get into the MDR? Can you also confirm that I'll have to pay for my cappuchino in the MDR? I was used to complimentary coffee drinks on CCL.

Also, my folks have limited mobility (though they are not in wheelchairs). I'm concned about embarkation...any tips as to how to avoid a lot of standing around? Is there a better time to go to the pier? We will be arriving the day before, so we can go anytime.

Thank you in advance!

On the day you go through the Panama Canal ( it takes all day) they may broadcast the bow web cam on a 2 story screen in the lobby. Gives you a whole different perspective and you can watch in comfort. You can take great pictures of the screen, I did last fall. The Canal tends to be very humid and and hot. You will have a great adventure.

Archived