Cuban cigars

mwoody1967

I would stay away from buying any cigars unless it is at a La Casa del Habano store. They are the only place that sells authentic Cuban cigars in those ports. Cozumel has one. The other two ports do not. You will find all kinds of scammers trying to sell you "authentic" stuff but trust me, they are fakes. If they have a glass top to the box they are definitely fake. If they have cellophane on them, they are definitely fake. Just stick to La Casa if you want authentic stuff.

As far as price goes, it is less expensive per cigar if you buy them by the box since they arent duty free anymore once they open the box and sell them as singles. You are looking at around $200 plus for a box of good smokes.

I told this to a guy on a cruise we were on a couple of weeks Ago and he bought some in Jamaica anyway, I looked at them and had to laugh because they were so far from being authentic it was crazy. The Cohiba that he bought was a size that Cohiba doesn't even produce...lol.

Hope that Cozumel is your first stop because that's where you can get the best deal. There are a couple of really good "Walk-In Humidores" if you go to downtown area shopping. One I remember was in a two-story mall type building that had the cigar shop upstairs - sorry; it's been a couple of years.- - ask the Shopping Guide on board the ship.

As for price, be aware that there are LOTS of counterfiets out there. If you see Cubans Cigars for any less than $6 or $8 apiece, then they are most likely counterfiet. You can get some small (5" and 40 ring) for around $6 or 7 each. Or you could spend as much as $25-$30 for a really nice Cohiba Churchill; and, of course all sizes and prices in-between.

Hope This Helps.

Ditto to the above posts. If you want some blend of Mexican tobacco/oregano then go ahead and buy "Cuban" cigars off the street.

If you want Cubanos, then you have to go to La Casa del Habano.

Unless things have changed recently, you cannot enter the U.S. with Cuban cigars. If you have them and they are found, they will be confiscated (so, you need to smoke them all there).

You are correct. Things haven't changed. My father in law and I brought back a full box each with no problems. If you are really worried about getting them confiscated just take the bands off and put them in a different box. :)

The only problem with bringing back Cuban cigars with the bands removed is that if CBP asks to see the cigars, the onus is upon you to prove that they are not Cubans and without this proof they may be taken from you.

I have never carried Cuban cigars off of the ship and through customs. I have always packed them in my checked luggage. There has never been a problem. I think that the dogs sniff your bags for substances other than tobacco!

I did bring back two boxes of Cubans from St. Marten one time when we were on the Liberty OTS. Upon going throug customs in Miami, all of our bags were quickly claimed except for my suticase witht the cigars. Bag after bag come out until there's no one left at baggage claim except for me and three customs agents, all of whom were staring at me. I'm thinking, "They found the cigars! They found the cigars!" while trying to maintain my cool. After what seemed like an hour (it was probably only about 20 minutes, or so...) my lone, last piece of luggage from the ship comes out and every customs agent simply yawned and left. Whewww! I got away with it!!

However, a friend of mine, who wansn't on this cruise did get caught once. He made a point of breaking every cigar in two in front of the customs agents, who really got mad. (I guess they traditionally use another means of disposing of your contraband!!)

Wow, very interesting information on the Cuban cigars that I never knew about. Isn't Cruise Critic a great source for information? Bob:)

But, all of the diamonds, gold, and other gems are really authentic and great buys:eek::rolleyes:

Archived