The best laid plans...

Pandot

I have been planning this trip for over a year now and thought I had it all sorted out.

Then the new ferry schedule was posted and reopened the possibility of going to St Georges. (I know it was always a possibility for most but with a toddler, the old schedule wouldn't have worked - the new one has possibilities).

So now I need some help.

Arrive on the Summit, Wed @ 8:30, leave Friday @ 4:30. So being conservative, I have from 10 on Wednesday and must be back to dock by 3 on Friday. Keep in mind the arrival and departure times and the fact that LO usually naps between 10:30 and 11:30 for approximately 2 hours.

1. Definitely want to do BAMZ. With or without Shelly Bay depending on LOs tolerance.

2. Want to check out South Shore Beach (preferably Jobsen's Cove)

3. Want to go into St George's on the 1:30 or 3 oclock ferry for a few hours after LOs nap.

4. Have the possibility of Somerset Long Bay as a close beach/park to the ship but not necessarily a must.

5. Anything extra is bonus.

How would you schedule our days? Would you consider St Georges on a morning ferry just to "see" it (quick run by) and then bus to BAMZ from there instead of Hamilton?

Thanks,

Andrea

I love St Georges, and usually tell people it's a must. But it all depends on how well the LO can manage a long day. He/she might like the boat ride, and it's easy enough to get a bus to BAMZ from St Georges. If you think a nap is essential, you could get off the bus at Shelley Bay for a little beach time--no waves, easy for a toddler to get his/her feet wet, and maybe a nap on a beach towel (there are shady areas), although I don't know if it will be quiet enough for a nap. Then on the bus again to BAMZ. After BAMZ, you take a bus back to Hamilton and bus or ferry to the ship.

It would be a long day, but easy enough to organize. It all depends on the LO. You can get a light lunch at BAMZ, and if it's looking like the bus ride won't go well, you could ask someone at BAMZ to call a taxi for you. Not cheap, but if you want to make up some time and have a bit more comfort, you can at least have that as a plan B to get back to Hamilton.

We are doing your same itinerary and did it last year & the year before as well. We LOVE St George. It is defintely doable for you.

Last year w/ our toddler we did the first morning ferry to St George. Spent the day there, he & the other kids did great. We took the 3:30/3:45 ferry back to the Dockyard. Our little one fell fast asleep once we left St George.

A few tips for you, be sure to bring snacks w/ you. We brought a couple boxes of granola bars, lays stackables (plastic containers so they travel well) toddler cheese puffs, juice boxes, water bottles, etc...

Also we normally take the kids to the spa area (w/ the thalossotherapy pool) and pre rinse there. They have showers w/ warmer water that is good for toddlers. I found the others are way to cold for them. That way we arent trecking a bunch of sand in our room. One of us usually grabs a couple slices of pizza or other munchables to take back to the room to nibble on while we all shower up also.

My mother would have a fit if she read my poor english.

That should read: my son usually takes a 2 hour nap beginning somewhere between 10:30 and 11:30 ;)

Andrea

Archived