Southampton hotels

SusanNJ

We are leaving out of Southampton on July 26th. When we initially booked there were no precruise packages due to the Olympics. There now is, but I do not want to go through the hassle of staying in London. While I do not require a 4 star hotel for the night prior, all of the hotels look questionable. Any suggestions?

What type of hotel are you looking for? Do you want something near the cruise terminal, or further out?

For terminal the De Vere Grand Harbour is good. Futher out of town & more rural there is Pilgrim Inn.

Have you looked at Trip Advisor?

Yes, I have looked at tripadvisor. The Premier Hotel is the highest rated and I believe near the pier. I am looking for a CLEAN hotel with a comfortable bed. I will be arriving late the day before embarkation, as we will be making a side trip to Stonehenge. So, we will probably just want a good shower and sleep.

Hi Susan, have you found out for sure that the cloud will dock at Southampton on 25th July?????? So I guess that means "champagne" under the bridge!!!! "Champagne's Off"

Georgina:mad:

Yes, I have looked at tripadvisor. The Premier Hotel is the highest rated and I believe near the pier. I am looking for a CLEAN hotel with a comfortable bed. I will be arriving late the day before embarkation, as we will be making a side trip to Stonehenge. So, we will probably just want a good shower and sleep.

I'd be very interested to find out what you decide upon, and how it is. Plus the logistics of your side trip to Stonehenge. We disembark at Southampton and we were thinking of doing exactly the same thing.

SusanNJ

Premier Inns we find are good value for money, and we have stayed in several always for one night (stayed at the LGW one just before heading off to Malaga on our last SB cruise), where we've needed, like you a clean bedroom, and somewhere clean to shower the next morning! They also have a guarantee that if you don't sleep well, they will give you your money back, no questions. This is no marketing ploy as we once stayed at a Premier in Inverness (a few years ago) and the bed had seen much better days and neither of us slept well at all, so I complained at check out and they gave us a refund instantly!

We have also stayed at the Grand Harbour in Sept 2010 before our first TA on SS, and it was very nice and we got a reasonable rate as I booked some time out. I had a look at Tripadviser before writing this and it seems to get mixed reviews now.

So if I was booking this, I would probably go for the Premier Inn.:)

But if you want expert advice on this part of the world post on the British Isles/UK thread and ask JB for his help, he's given some really useful advice to lots of people and I think lives down in that part of the world.

Premier Inns will probably fit the bill. Our friend who has dual citizenship has arranged for the driver he uses in London to transfer us from Heathrow via Stonehenge to Southampton. As I do not think Southampton is a tourist mecca, the side trip will be very pleasant.

Thank you all for your words of wisdom.

Premier Inns will probably fit the bill. Our friend who has dual citizenship has arranged for the driver he uses in London to transfer us from Heathrow via Stonehenge to Southampton. As I do not think Southampton is a tourist mecca, the side trip will be very pleasant.

Thank you all for your words of wisdom.

It is well worth having your driver take you through Windsor on the way to Stonehenge and finally, the Port of Southampton, if you have the time. It's right on the way.

Hello,

I would recommend the Mercure Dolphin Hotel that is not far from the Cruise Terminals and a very pleasant and comfortable 4 star hotel. The De Vere Grand is a poor offering for a four star hotel & used to be rate 5 star - I will say no more! The above hotel mixes contemporary with olde worlde charm and a good buffet breakfast in the morning.

Kind Regards,

Richard

SusanNJ

My DH reminded me to tell you that Premier Inns, good as they are, are a no service hotel.

What do you mean I asked him. I thought it was just fine but we didn't have breakfast there and went out to dinner. Well said he, who carted all our bags up to and back down from our room? Aaah the light went on! He did! So no porter service so if you have a few bags then there will be trolleys, but you have to cart them yourself. And the corridors are very narrow, they pack those bedrooms in! But if you travel light, no problem.

SusanNJ

We ate at this lovely Italian restaurant and we had a very nice chat with the owner - I had had a carryon bag fall on my head by a careless passenger on the flight down to London and I was feeling somewhat sore and he looked after us very well with some interesting stories about the old building he has there.

He also told us about his boutique hotel - All part of the same building called Ennios Boutique Hotel.

I had totally forgotten about this hotel. I had a quick look at his website and it looks very nice, right on the waterfront. I had a quick look at trip adviser and seems to get good reviews. We did not stay there as that was the time we were at the Grand harbour.

Ok for upscale luxury you will have to go out with Southampton - I had been thinking you were looking for something along the lines of Premier Inn with a bit of character! (and I didn't mean the toilet seats!!! LOL!)

Have you looked at Chewton Glen?

Ok for upscale luxury you will have to go out with Southampton - I had been thinking you were looking for something along the lines of Premier Inn with a bit of character! (and I didn't mean the toilet seats!!! LOL!)

Have you looked at Chewton Glen?

Now you have my attention! Chewton Glen looks incredible and is the style to which we should all be accustomed. It is a Relais and Chateau, I believe. Maybe they have a special discount for Silversea passengers (hahahaha). ;)

How far do you think that is from the Southampton pier?

Now you have my attention! Chewton Glen looks incredible and is the style to which we should all be accustomed. It is a Relais and Chateau, I believe. Maybe they have a special discount for Silversea passengers (hahahaha). ;)

How far do you think that is from the Southampton pier?

HAhahaha! Well it's the sort of place that we would choose! It is an R and C and about 35 mins from Southampton and when I put chewton glen distance to Southampton it came up with pre cruise packages! Much better rates than the rack rates showing on their home page!

So perfect in my view!

Hope Susannj This is the what you are looking for! :)

HAhahaha! Well it's the sort of place that we would choose! It is an R and C and about 35 mins from Southampton and when I put chewton glen distance to Southampton it came up with pre cruise packages! Much better rates than the rack rates showing on their home page!

So perfect in my view!

Hope Susannj This is the what you are looking for! :)

Do they provide transportation by coach to the ship in the pre-cruise package???? Hahahahaha! :D

Actually, a friend suggested we stay there post-cruise. They said it's currently rated the best hotel in all of England.

Thanks Fairbourne, but alas, when I read the reviews of the Ennios people recalled stained toilets and ripped duvets. Waiting to hear what Mr. Luxury thinks is upscale

Susan,

http://www.chewtonglen.com

http://www.limewoodhotel.co.uk

These are my two favourites when in the Southampton area

Limewood takes me twenty five minutes and Chewton Glen takes me thirty five minutes from Southampton.

Southampton does not cater for people looking for good Hotels.

Mr. Luxury, you hit the nail on the head with Limewood. I assume the hotel can arrange for transfer to the ship. Since you have done so well with this assignment... What do you suggest in Lisbon? Olissippo Lapa or suggestions for something more centrally located?

Mr. Luxury, you hit the nail on the head with Limewood. I assume the hotel can arrange for transfer to the ship. Since you have done so well with this assignment... What do you suggest in Lisbon? Olissippo Lapa or suggestions for something more centrally located?

Susan,

The Lapa Palace has been a favourite of mine for a long time.

I also like the Corinthia and the Four Seasons Ritz

No problem to arrange a transfer to Southampton from Lime wood

Archived