Hilo: good place for lei purchase

gracecarmo

Besides the lei vendors in the cruise terminal at the end of the gangway, you can also find nice, reasonable lei stands at the airport terminal. If you are renting a car in Hilo, the car rental stands are right across the street from the airport terminal...and I use that term loosely....the terminal is an open air row of ticket counters, a restaurant and several shops. You can access any of these without going through the security checkpoint. So, you can run into the "terminal" and grab a lei from either of the lei stands which are just before the entrance to the security checkpoint.

I was amazed at how inexpensive the leis are. I believe the most expensive one I got was $8., however, the nicest one was the one I made myself at Aunt Edna's free class at the Hilton Hawaiian Village prior to the cruise leaving Honolulu. We rented a car in Hilo and Kauai and it was amazing to come across little stands with signs to choose a lei from the cooler and deposit your $5. in the jar. Guess they assume we are all honest! It was such a delight. My favourite finds were the dashboard hula dolls, chocolate covered macadamia nuts and stickers reading "I got lei'd in Hawaii" all available at very reasonable prices at ABC Drug Stores.

it was amazing to come across little stands with signs to choose a lei from the cooler and deposit your $5. in the jar. Guess they assume we are all honest! It was such a delight.

We always buy from honor system vendors when we get a chance... for Halloween, we drive farther just to get our pumpkins from the honor system guy and we do the same for firewood when we camp in Big Sur. We feel if they are willing to trust, then they deserve our business!!! Nice to know we can find some of these vendors in Hawaii. We will keep an eye out for them!

Archived