your opinions, please

raysue

Wwe have just booked the Merury Oct. 13 from Seattle to Ensenada, and then the 10 day Mexico from San Diego. We are in 1018 (could not get a SS IB 12 with the larger balcony GRUMP!!) my questions are:

1. I see the room is right under the aerobics room... how late in the evening are we going to have to listen to the stomping on our ceiling of little feet? (or big feet)

2. Will we have to get off in Ensenada and TAKE THE BUS TO SAN DIEGO?

Yes I do know about the Jones act, but that seems really too silly. Can we leave our things in oour room while we aat transported across the boarder?

We have cruised several times on other lines and , from reading what you all have written o this board,, are really excited too be on the Mercury!!!! icon10.gif

Any opinions would be welcome.

We had a suite on 10 once, under the spa and it was the quietest one we've ever had. It really closes at an early time, so no problem. Keep checking for one on 12 if you can, the balconies are fantastic.

Marilyn

Re: the Jones Act

Other cruisers doing B2B have changed their names slightly - full name on one reservation, first and middle initials on another. Supposedly, this makes it less likely for customs officials to realize the problem. There was a thread of mine about a year ago that discussed it; I'll see if I can find it for you.

Cheers,

Friday

Edit: Here's the quote from the other thread.

actually it does that is why its traveling round trip. Since it begins and ends at the same port its not transporting any one any where. Also you can legally get off in Canada or on in Canada without violating the Jones act. There must be some Canadian rule against this. BTW to the poster who couldn't travel the back to backs. Next time use intials and have one ticket sent somewhere else than you home.i.e slmeyer or smeyer, the chances are they won't catch this.

I'm sorry I don't know your answers, but your TA should be able to get that info for you. If not, aside from getting a new TA, I would call Celebrity. I'm sure you aren't the only ones with this situation.

Katie

I'm sorry I don't know your answers, ...

I don't know the answer either. But....., if anyone doesn't feel like going, please call!!! We stand ready to take a bus ride into San Diego (with or without our luggage) from Mexico to spend another ten days on a ship. :eek:

Les

PS. Think about it this way. It's a chance to get your land legs back.

From what I know about the Jones Act, It requires all non US flagged ships to hit one foreign port before final docking. That is why the ship docks in Ensenada. It satisfies the Jones Act, if not for the Jones Act the ship would just dock in San Diego.

Based on that, no you will not have to board a bus and head to the US

Yes you can leave your things in your room.

You will have to get off the ship, make sure you are one of the last people, get off for a couple hours while the ship clears customs. You should be able to reboard sometime after 1:00.

AS to under aerobics, I was there on the Century(Sister to Mercury) and never had any problems with noise.

Regarding the Ensenada-San Diego thing...

We once to back to back cruises on the Radiance, from San Juan PR to San Diego, and then from Ensenada to Hawaii. There were about 10 couples total who did the same thing. We did not have to exit the ship at all in San Diego, and there were just the 20 of us who sailed on the ship (plus the officers/staff and crew, of course) from San Diego to Ensenada, where all the passengers for the Hawaii cruise got on. It was a delightful day...a 3 hour cruise with the whole ship to ourselves, and RCCL opened a specialty restaurant for us for lunch, and we all had window tables.

Archived