Professional Photos Onboard???

I was wondering if the ships have a professional photographer onboard. We will be on the Norwegian Jewel. Do they sell separate photos or do you have to buy a package? Are the prices reasonable? Do they roam the ship?;)

Every ship has a professional photographer, some have more than one.

There are all kinds of packages, and you can buy just one.

They are expensive. You could buy a very good digital camera and take 1,000 pictures yourself and skip paying for the pro photos.

Yes, there will be lots of photograhers on board.They have them set up around the ship with different backgrounds. Formal night is the big night for photos as everyone is dressed up. You can buy any picture you want - one or all. They also roam the ship. Don't know the prices as haven't bought a photo on NCL.

I thought the photos were nice. Recently sailed on the Jewel and purchased a few. Pricing was arounf $20 per photo and they threw in another photo which had 3 smaller images. Not cheap but nice. They also had some smaller photos (5x7?) that sold for about $13.

In comparison to land based photographers, the photos onboard are reasonably priced. They don't do the greatest job, the poses are all standard and not anything special, but are passable and sure do a better job than I could.

If you compare it to photos taken by yourself (the majority of us) the priced is absurdly high, except most of us can't take as good a quality of photograph.

So we usually wait until the end of the week and purchase one...if one came out good enough.

We did NCL Star last October.

There is no charge if you don't want to purchase a single photo, no matter if you had 10 or 20 taken.

There will be your initial boarding photo (usually with the ship, date, etc). I think this was $15 (we didn't purchase it).

Dress up or not night, we stopped at 4 different set-up locations to get the different backgrounds and see what each different photographer did as far as poses. These were $25 each. And we did pick the one we liked the best.

Then of course, there are all the different port photos, as you leave the ship there could be pirates, bears, whales (costumes of course) to take your photo with. I think these were $15 each. We did purchase a couple of these too.

Then on the ship itself, you can make appointments for a studio private shoot. I think they do a total package for like $300. (We didn't do this).

Although my husband and I are both really good photographers, we always give a hard look to the photo displays on ships. Some of our best and most important family photos were taken by ship's photographers and we are glad to have them. They are priceless now that so many family members have passed away.

They are "professional" in the sense that you have to pay and they make their money from the photgraphy. On every ship I've been on my experience is that they are young/starting out and this is a springboard to do something the know/love and travel and get the perks of cruising. As to the fact are they really good, no. But they take the standard dinner, embarkation/disembarkation. On formal nights and other times they have the standard sessions where you can get pleasing shots. I put them at the level of equipment and skill as the $19.99 8x10 places you see in some shopping malls. True high end portrait/professional photographers they are not, but don't take that the wrong way, for the price they charge its reasonable, and as for special memories captured priceless!

I was wondering if the ships have a professional photographer onboard. We will be on the Norwegian Jewel. Do they sell separate photos or do you have to buy a package? Are the prices reasonable? Do they roam the ship?;)

They are "professional" in the sense that you have to pay and they make their money from the photgraphy. On every ship I've been on my experience is that they are young/starting out and this is a springboard to do something the know/love and travel and get the perks of cruising. As to the fact are they really good, no. But they take the standard dinner, embarkation/disembarkation. On formal nights and other times they have the standard sessions where you can get pleasing shots. I put them at the level of equipment and skill as the $19.99 8x10 places you see in some shopping malls. True high end portrait/professional photographers they are not, but don't take that the wrong way, for the price they charge its reasonable, and as for special memories captured priceless!

I think some cruise lines higher better photography companies than others, but most of the actual photographers are much better than the folks at the malls.

We normally avoid the ship’s photographers although the past few years they have really gotten creative with their displays and how they suggest you pose, particularly during formal evenings. My pet peeve is the, seemingly mandatory, photo at each port while disembarking with a giant crab or pirate at the end of the walkway that holds everyone else up.

Archived