Ports Of Call?!

New cruiser here, havent found this information yet and Im wondering, do you have to pay per port or can you just get off the ship and lay on the beach for free? I understand the excursions cost money and guided tours but if we just want to wander around and laze about..?? Thanks!!

New cruiser here, havent found this information yet and Im wondering, do you have to pay per port or can you just get off the ship and lay on the beach for free? I understand the excursions cost money and guided tours but if we just want to wander around and laze about..?? Thanks!!

Port fees are included in cruise fares. You don't pay extra to get off the ship and walk around (or lay around).

:)

There often aren't any beaches right where the ship docks so budget for some taxi fares. Also, for the normal stuff -- renting a beach chair, lockers, drinks/snacks, etc.

Most countries have public beaches...so some research! Get a Guidebook! That will allow you to tell which beaches are close to port...how to get there, if there are chair/umbrella rentals....everything you need to know. A guidebook can save you tons of money.

We seldom, if ever, book "excursions"....most things are quite easy to do on your own IF you do your research.

If you don't know anything about where you're going...this plan will NOT work. Get a guidebook.

Just look up rum runner or smuggling liquor , there are a million treads on how to do it , and on how not to do, ( check out the carnival thread ) I jsut saw a couple today with funny stories. I personally have not but am think about trying it :D

You don't even have to get off the ship. You can stay by the pool all day if you want.

To get off the ship all you need is the cabin key card (your photo is on it). To get back you will need that same card, and in some places a photo ID (like driver's license).

If the stop is "tender" that boat to the shore is free also. Pardon me, not free, included in the pre-paid price :rolleyes:

Once on shore, you are free to do anything, just make sure to be back on time, the ship will not wait for you, and the gate closes earlier, 30-60 minutes. The night before you will get a flier in your cabin with the time when you must be back.

You can leave and come back any time, for example, get off, come back if forgot something, get off again, come back for lunch, get off again... - just FYI, you don't have to do it all :)

Archived