Biodegradable Sunscreen??

Gemynii

I've been looking around online trying to find a good biodegradable sunscreen to use while we're at the ports.

I know that it's recommended and sometimes required in order to protect the reefs and marine life.

The one that that I found that has gotten some of the best reviews from consumers and the EWG (http://breakingnews.ewg.org/2011sunscreen/all-sunscreens/?order=score%20INC&seeall=1)

is BurnOut Kids Physical Sunscreen which costs about $18 online.

I was wondering if anyone has tried this particular sunscreen or if there is another brand that you would highly recommend. I appreciate any help.

Have not tried that sunscreen. We use Mexitan products. Goes on white, but soaks in well and leaves skin very soft. You can order it online. I also purchased biodegradeable Hawaiian Tropic in the Yucatan. that was nice to use also. Some people have reported that you can sometimes get it in Wal-Mart, but I have never seen it there.

Don't want to start anything about the environment...

I had also read before our first cruise about biodegradeable sunscreen being recommended and/or required....never found it. So many trips and so many times snorkeling, we've NEVER had our sunscreen questioned or checked. One place told us as long as it was water proof, then it was OK.

If I could find it, I'd buy the biodegradeable kind to be kind to the environment, but I've never seen it.

Have not tried that sunscreen. We use Mexitan products. Goes on white, but soaks in well and leaves skin very soft. You can order it online. I also purchased biodegradeable Hawaiian Tropic in the Yucatan. that was nice to use also. Some people have reported that you can sometimes get it in Wal-Mart, but I have never seen it there.

I looked around at Wal-Mart and didn't see any that said biodegradable. I may look around at Walgreens or CVS to see if they have any there.

Don't want to start anything about the environment...

I had also read before our first cruise about biodegradeable sunscreen being recommended and/or required....never found it. So many trips and so many times snorkeling, we've NEVER had our sunscreen questioned or checked. One place told us as long as it was water proof, then it was OK.

If I could find it, I'd buy the biodegradeable kind to be kind to the environment, but I've never seen it.

I'm going to go ahead and get some that's biodegradable even if they don't check for it. With my luck they'd be crackin' down on everyone and I wouldn't get to try snorkeling.

I should never have looked at that EWG website because they list all the chemicals in the sunscreens and tell how they affect the body.

I do plan on getting some of the chemical based bad for your health sunscreen to use on the ship. :eek:

Thank you both for your input. :)

Several products are available at Amazon -- I generally choose based on ratings and smallest amount that I can buy. As has been mentioned, it starts out leaving a white haze, but quickly becomes mostly transparent. Don't be tempted to rub and rub to get the white to go away faster, because that will actually reduce its effectiveness.

Biodegradable sunscreen is important if you plan on going into the ocean because the standard varieties of sunscreen leech chemicals that can harm delicate reefs and ocean life. I purchased some biodegradable for a snorkeling trip, but I generally don't go into the water (over it in various craft, but not IN it), so I don't bother any more. And I've never seen any effort by tour guides to advise or check for biodegradable.

I have never seen biodegradable sunscreen. I will have to keep my eyes open for it.

One of the places we're going in Cozumel says that it's required... otherwise I never would have known about it either.

I've never used biodegradable sunscreen, but have any of you checked with amazon?

Amazon is where I found the BurnOut sunscreen. :)

Several products are available at Amazon -- I generally choose based on ratings and smallest amount that I can buy. As has been mentioned, it starts out leaving a white haze, but quickly becomes mostly transparent. Don't be tempted to rub and rub to get the white to go away faster, because that will actually reduce its effectiveness.

Biodegradable sunscreen is important if you plan on going into the ocean because the standard varieties of sunscreen leech chemicals that can harm delicate reefs and ocean life. I purchased some biodegradable for a snorkeling trip, but I generally don't go into the water (over it in various craft, but not IN it), so I don't bother any more. And I've never seen any effort by tour guides to advise or check for biodegradable.

We're planning on doing the turtle farm in Grand Cayman and Chankanaab Park in Cozumel. I know that Chankanaab says that it is required on their website.

Since you have experience with the biodegradable sunscreens, do you believe that 4 oz would be enough for 3 people for 2 days? The BurnOut that I was looking at says that it doesn't take a lot to get good coverage and that it will last for hours even after swimming, sweating and toweling. http://www.amazon.com/BurnOut-SPF-KIDS-Physical-Sunscreen/dp/B0037AO682/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS?ie=UTF8&coliid=I1KGTRP2DYNF63&colid=16O4SQ5LBHV6P

We're planning on doing the turtle farm in Grand Cayman and Chankanaab Park in Cozumel. I know that Chankanaab says that it is required on their website.

Since you have experience with the biodegradable sunscreens, do you believe that 4 oz would be enough for 3 people for 2 days? The BurnOut that I was looking at says that it doesn't take a lot to get good coverage and that it will last for hours even after swimming, sweating and toweling. http://www.amazon.com/BurnOut-SPF-KIDS-Physical-Sunscreen/dp/B0037AO682/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS?ie=UTF8&coliid=I1KGTRP2DYNF63&colid=16O4SQ5LBHV6P

I think that's cutting it close. Might be safer with a little more. Or, use the biodegradable while you're in the water and switch to standard variety if you leave the water and don't plan on going back in that day.

I bought mine at a Whole Foods type place...it was about $8 and worked well. This was quite a few years ago, so probably Amazon is a good place to shop for it these days.

The closest Whole Foods store to me is 45 miles away. If I can't find any locally, I will get it at Amazon since they seem to have the best prices I can find.

I think that's cutting it close. Might be safer with a little more. Or, use the biodegradable while you're in the water and switch to standard variety if you leave the water and don't plan on going back in that day.

That's a good idea. I'm not to crazy about saltwater... makes me feel sticky. I've got to try snorkeling while I'm in Cozumel, though. We won't have to cover as much when we go to the turtle farm in GC since we won't be in bathing suits.

Also, the smell of the biodegradable sunscreen is a little sweet and perhaps slightly flowery. Not bad, but I sort of like the traditional sunscreen scent.

DH is gonna love smelling sweet and flowery. :p I prefer the traditional scent as well, but I can handle a sweet smell.

I burn very easily. 10 minutes in the sun and I am in big trouble for at least a week. I can now snorkle as much as I want as long as I want And I use no sunscreen. Ok how do I do that you ask? Iwent to a dive shop one day with a friend and found a lightweight full body snorkel suit. For $50.00 I can now be in the water as long as I want anywhere I want. I also bought a full head hood, another $13.00, and I am resdy to go. Look on line or go to a dive shop and ask for a snorkling suit and NOT a wet suit. Best money I spent for my cruises.

I burn very easily. 10 minutes in the sun and I am in big trouble for at least a week. I can now snorkle as much as I want as long as I want And I use no sunscreen. Ok how do I do that you ask? Iwent to a dive shop one day with a friend and found a lightweight full body snorkel suit. For $50.00 I can now be in the water as long as I want anywhere I want. I also bought a full head hood, another $13.00, and I am resdy to go. Look on line or go to a dive shop and ask for a snorkling suit and NOT a wet suit. Best money I spent for my cruises.

There would be 3 of us, so it would be $150 for the suits. Since this will be our first cruise and our first time snorkeling, I want to make sure that it's something that we'd want to do often before buying suits that we may not use again. I'll definitely keep it in mind if we become a cruise addict. :)

They're also called rash suits. Rash guards (just the shirts) are really common and easy to find- Land's End usually has them on clearance for around $15 for a men's shirt. It's well worth it for me, as I always end up with some patches that I've missed.

I've been recommended UVNatural, it's available at Amazon and Drugstore dot com. For me it's about my skin, regular sunscreen ironically burns my skin.

For snorkeling I find a t shirt works best. But use Mexitan on the legs, face and neck.

They're also called rash suits. Rash guards (just the shirts) are really common and easy to find- Land's End usually has them on clearance for around $15 for a men's shirt. It's well worth it for me, as I always end up with some patches that I've missed.

Thank you :)

I've never used biodegradable sunscreen, but have any of you checked with amazon?

Amazon is where I bought my Mexitan. I never used it before, but I will be on my three snorkeling excursions coming up in about a week or so. I hope it works well.

There would be 3 of us, so it would be $150 for the suits. Since this will be our first cruise and our first time snorkeling, I want to make sure that it's something that we'd want to do often before buying suits that we may not use again. I'll definitely keep it in mind if we become a cruise addict. :)

Agreed the cost would be high for all of you. I also wear mine when kayaking or canoeing as it provides a lightweight alternative to longs sleeve t shirts and pants. The rash guard shirts would also work. The 2 main reason I use them is they work exceptionally well and they are lightweight and cause absolutely no harm to the environment so they should be accepted anywhere.

But again each has to make their own choices for the best way to take care of themselves and their family. have a great cruise.

FYI, when we did the dolphin experience in Cayman, the description said to use the biodegradable stuff. We searched for it, finally found it, and then were told that we couldn't use it because they require that you put it on at least an hour ahead of time.

Hey Gemynii,

We swam with the dolphins at Chankanaab a couple of years ago and were also worried about the sunscreen. We had actually opted out of putting any on at all because we couldn't find it and didn't want to harm the dolphins with the regular stuff. But when we arrived at Chankanaab, we found a souvenir shop just into the main entrance and whalah... they sold biodegradable sunscreen. So we just bought it there and put it on. I'm not sure if that would be a better solution for you or not, but there's another option to consider.

Happy cruising! :)

Archived