Alaska 2013 Suggestions

DevCruise

My parents and I are looking at two of NCL's Alaska itineraries in late 2013 and trying to decide between them. Looking for thoughts from people who may have been on them...

Sept 14 on the Jewel

Seattle

Sea

Ketchikan

Juneau

Skagway

Sea

Victoria, BC

Vancouver

Sept 22 on the Pearl

Seattle

Inside Passage

Juneau

Skagway

Glacier Bay

Ketchikan

Victoria, BC

Vancouver

The second trip would be $170-240 more than the first trip per person. From what I've read on here, the Glacier Bay portion of the trip seems to be a quick trip into and out of the bay.

Would love to hear any thoughts on either of these and any pros/cons from anybody who has been on them.

There is a reason the Pearl Itinerary is more. More people prefer it and most travel agents as well as NCL TAs will tell you that those cruises fill up faster. This is our first Alaska cruise and we selected it partly from TA recommendations and partially from research done on the web. We personally think it will be worth the few extra $'s this family of five will incur.

Glacier Bay is a National Park and requires permits for the cruise ships to operate in it. They allow no more than two ships/day. The permits do cost extra $$ and this combined with the exclusivity of the Bay allows ships to charge more for it.

I have seen Tracy Arm (Sawyer Glacier) on my previous two cruises and while it is fairly scenic I understand that it is nothing compared to GB. So we are going on the Pearl this June to see if it is true.

BTW you spend several hours in Glacier Bay - much less in Tracy Arm.

There are only three lines that operate in GB - Princess, HAL,and NCL.

Glacier Bay is a National Park and requires permits for the cruise ships to operate in it. They allow no more than two ships/day. The permits do cost extra $$ and this combined with the exclusivity of the Bay allows ships to charge more for it.

I figured that it had to do with one ship being newer than the other. I wasn't so much worried about the cost difference, but threw it in there just in case it was relevant to any replies.

I have seen Tracy Arm (Sawyer Glacier) on my previous two cruises and while it is fairly scenic I understand that it is nothing compared to GB. So we are going on the Pearl this June to see if it is true.

BTW you spend several hours in Glacier Bay - much less in Tracy Arm.

That's good to know. I just don't want to leave Alaska feeling like I missed anything. :)

There are only three lines that operate in GB - Princess, HAL,and NCL.

I hadn't considered anybody outside of NCL, however, my dad sent links this morning for HAL saying the rooms are bigger with more amenities. *sighs*

My parents and I are looking at two of NCL's Alaska itineraries in late 2013 and trying to decide between them. Looking for thoughts from people who may have been on them...

Sept 14 on the Jewel

Seattle

Sea

Ketchikan

Juneau

Skagway

Sea

Victoria, BC

Vancouver

Sept 22 on the Pearl

Seattle

Inside Passage

Juneau

Skagway

Glacier Bay

Ketchikan

Victoria, BC

Vancouver

The second trip would be $170-240 more than the first trip per person. From what I've read on here, the Glacier Bay portion of the trip seems to be a quick trip into and out of the bay.

Would love to hear any thoughts on either of these and any pros/cons from anybody who has been on them.

We did r/t from Seattle on Princess last September. I can't offer any advise on NCL ships, but I have some thoughts on the itinerary.

If you haven't been to Alaska, I would suggest you take the Pearl to Glacier Bay. We sailed there from 6 a.m. to 3 p.m. with an hour in front of Marjerie Glacier. Eventhough it was raining and 35 degrees, Glacier Bay was breathtaking. It should be on everyone's bucket list.

We saw a HAL ship enter Tracy Arm and about 1/2 hour come back out. The water in September is full of chunks of ice from the summer thaw. They couldn't go very far into the fjord, so they pretty much missed it all.

The rest of the cruise the weather was awesome. The temps were in the 50's and 60's. That late in September some of the shops, especially in Ketchikan will already be closed for the season.

This is a less favorable time to cruise Alaska and has the worse weather potential. Most chance for rain and cool temps 40-50's. A negative is it will be dusk by 7pm and impacts on scenic sailing or port times.

These sailings used to be significantly cheaper, they aren't any longer. It is superior all the way around to go earlier, if of any interest.

With a Tracy Arm itinerary, I only recommend doing so with the ship add on boat tour, Grossly superior to the cruiseship tranist. Significant for way more wildlife viewing and way closer to the glacier. "necessary" in my opinion.

For me it's a no brainer. DH and I sailed 2 different times on the Pearl to Alaska and our favorite is the Glacier Bay tour. To see all the glaciers and to hear them calving and watching them fall, is incredible. You are in Glacier Bay for a few hours and it just took our breath away.

Our 2nd trip to Alaska was the Sawyer Glacier and while nice, to us personally, it didn't compete with Glacier Bay.

We have 2 more cruises planned before we can get back to Glacier Bay. But we are going back.

We saw a HAL ship enter Tracy Arm and about 1/2 hour come back out. The water in September is full of chunks of ice from the summer thaw. They couldn't go very far into the fjord, so they pretty much missed it all.

QUOTE]

How do you know this?? Ships sail Tracy Arm over several hours, It is a 30 mile dead end. I am certain, if you were on Princess, your ship wasn't just sitting at the Tracy Arm entrance, to know when they went in and came out??? Makes no sense. Have you sailed Tracy Arm?

if you go in sept, the earlier the better. we had a lot of fog, rain even sleet on our trip. while we were prepared for it, it does keep you from doing some of the things we would have liked to do. stores were having great sales, but the shelves were getting bare. rain kept us from walking around. one day the rain was very heavy, other days it was just hit or miss. it's not like that all the time, but just be prepared. listening to the ship's fog horn, all night, was pretty cool. :)

QUOTE]

How do you know this?? Ships sail Tracy Arm over several hours, It is a 30 mile dead end. I am certain, if you were on Princess, your ship wasn't just sitting at the Tracy Arm entrance, to know when they went in and came out??? Makes no sense. Have you sailed Tracy Arm?

We followed the HAL ship through the inside passage. It was quite a bit ahead of us closer to the shore. We saw it head into Tracy Arm then come back out. When we got to Juneau, we had an excursion with passengers on that ship. They said that they headed into Tracy Arm, but due to ice in the water had to come back out. I am just reporting what I was told.

No, I have not sailed Tracy Arm. I chose the cruise I did because of the Glacier Bay itinerary.

Sept 14 on the Jewel

Seattle

Sea

Ketchikan

Juneau

Skagway

Sea

Victoria, BC

Vancouver

Sept 22 on the Pearl

Seattle

Inside Passage

Juneau

Skagway

Glacier Bay

Ketchikan

Victoria, BC

Vancouver

We were on the Pearl last year for the last sailing of the season, which departed Seattle on September 18th.

We anticipated poorer weather and were prepared for it... good thing we did too. It was cooler and it did rain off and on most days. The clouds did break for a while in Skagway and during our day in Glacier Bay, but was overcast and raining off & on in Juneau and Ketchikan. We missed Victoria due to weather, although we did get some extra time in Ketchikan as a result. As far as we're concerned, the weather was the only downside of our trip.

Some of the positives include;

• fewer "little ones" on board due to school being back in session
  • super deals on shopping in port and on board... 50% off was not uncommon
  • the excursions we chose had fewer participants, giving us more time to enjoy them
  • the ship's crew - FANTASTIC, with a special shout out to our cabin steward Owen (deck 10 mid-ship balcony, port side)
  • the Pearl was the only ship in port in Ketchikan :D
  • three "extra" hours in Ketchikan

As for the negatives, which are related to weather and out of NCL's control;

• the weather limited outside activities on board
  • rough seas, although mostly at night
  • high winds in Skagway caused one group to miss Glacier Bay. They were stuck in Haines and couldn't get out until the next day. We stopped to pick them up after we toured the park, on our way to Ketchikan.
  • missed the port of Victoria due to the unscheduled stop to pick up the passengers that were left behind in Skagway and the extended time in Ketchikan.
  • both DW and I caught a cold toward the end of the cruise... even though we used the sanitizers every where we went :( Washy Washy ;)

Would we go again during the same time frame... absolutely!!!

I have been to Alaska three times, all with NCL. First and last times were last sailing in September, second was the first sailing in May. Once on the Sun, to Sawyer Glacier, and the two times on the Pearl were to Glacier Bay.

Love, love, love Glacier Bay! I am glad that NCL is only sailing ships with inside viewing areas to Alaska now. Gives non-balcony passengers an inside option for viewing, regardless of weather.

Our first time in September, the sun seemed to come out whenever we docked in a port; the weather was fabulous, and I loved the reduction in souvenir prices in the shops, and did a lot of Christmas shopping. I love the autumn colors, and they were plentiful in Alaska in mid-September.

Our Mendenhall Glacier excursion of kayaking was cancelled on our May cruise due to low water level; not enough snow melt yet for the level of the lake to be high enough. Something to consider that I hadn't realized.

We went on my absolute all-time favorite excursion in Alaska: the Misty Fjords Cruise and Fly. I highly recommend this to anyone. I have motion sickness in small planes, and I used the electronic wristband and could not even tell I was on a plane. Fabulous!!!! Whenever we went, this was only offered on the Sawyer Glacier itinerary, but I see now it is offered on both.

The last time we took the September sailing we experienced more rain, a first for us. All our other cruises the weather cooperated beautifully.

I have never sailed in the summer to Alaska, so I can't offer a comparison; we prefer to cruise when there aren't many school-aged kids on board. We also saw the northern lights on our late-September cruise, and have never experienced the "midnight sun".

I shouldn't read this thread, it is making me want to go to Alaska again!!!

Just wanted to thank all those who responded. We've booked the Sep 22 sailing to Glacier Bay on the port side after hearing all the suggestions. :)

@devcruise - I have quite a bit of information that I complied when I was plannng our trip last year that I'm more than happy to share. Just send me an email (outside of the forum) and I'll send you tons of stuff.

Here's a temporary email address: cruisecriticmail@earthlink.net

Hope to hear from you soon.

@devcruise - I have quite a bit of information that I complied when I was plannng our trip last year that I'm more than happy to share. Just send me an email (outside of the forum) and I'll send you tons of stuff.

Email sent. Looking forward to it. :)

What is the best time to cruise Alaska, and what ship is the best (on NCL)?

Mid May through very begining of Sept.

If considering the one way sailings next year, AND you are planning on getting to Denali Park, then you need to consider only a northbound cruise in May, and nothing past the first week of Sept, again northbound.

Historically, over many YEARS, ( I have been sailing Alaska since 1994) Sept, has the worse potential for weather, by far, compared to all the other timeframes. Avoid the first sailing as well- 1st week of May- iffy then too. I don't see the signficantly discounts that used to make these sailings attractive before. I picked up several as extra, cheap trips, always was the earlier one superior.

Archived