Debarkation time in HK

easy spirit

Trying to book the flight back from Hong Kong.

My options are either 9:35AM or 4:35PM. As we overnight in HK, my preference will be the earlier one as I get home the same day. With the later one, will have to overnight at JFK.

Any feedback if it will be OK to choose the early one.... considering the time needed to leave the ship that early in order to get to the airport.

The airport is about 40 minutes from the main cruise terminal at Tsim Sha Tsui, ditto from the container port round the corner, mebbe another 10 - 15 mins if you're berthed off Connaught Road, on the Island.

Normally no problem to just take a cab from the rank (they're suitable for only two plus luggage) but that may be a little more difficult at about 1.30am, so earlier in the day you may want to check out availability at that time of night & mebbe pre-book. A hotel can probably help out if no-one at the cruise terminal can (most cab drivers have little or no english)

Cost from very vague memory around $50 to $60, including fee to cross a bridge (which won''t show on the meter) but may be higher at daft o'clock.

Needless to say, you'll probably be hauling your own luggage off the ship.

Just one small point to double-check - occasionally ships moor off-shore overnite before coming alongside. If tenders don't run thro' the night this could be problematic. Risk is very very small, but worth checking out.

JB :)

We arrive HK early morning the day before & do an overnight. Most of the passengers will be disembarking HK (except the b/b cruisers) on the same day we are disembarking. It's just a matter of the time schedule permitted by the cruise line.

My only concern is: are we going to be able to disembark early .... let's say 5:30 / 6:00 AM. Do not think why not possible, but want to be sure 100% before booking the flight.

Called the cruise line but not a very accurate answer received. Many times is better to ask someone that has been in the same situation & give their feedback.

Thanks JB for the info in relation to the distance & price from the pier to the airport.

Very probable will have to reserve a car at the concierge/guest relations desk beforehand (have done it there before) & haul our own luggage. Yikes.... that will be an eyesore.

Sorry, mis-read 4.35 as am, not pm.:rolleyes:

Other than a questionmark about whether you berth at the quay on arrival, you can leave the ship any time you like.

Shame its not 4.35am - doesn't matter if you're an eyesore, nobody around that time of the morning to notice. :)

Sorry, mis-read 4.35 as am, not pm.:rolleyes:

Other than a questionmark about whether you berth at the quay on arrival, you can leave the ship any time you like.

Shame its not 4.35am - doesn't matter if you're an eyesore, nobody around that time of the morning to notice. :)

Thanks JB ....

• 4 weeks later...

You can check in your luggage up to 24 hours in advance at the train station. If you purchase a train ticket on express to the airport.

You may be able to do that the day before and take the train to the airport without your luggage on the day of. It may be easier.

You can check in your luggage up to 24 hours in advance at the train station. If you purchase a train ticket on express to the airport.

You may be able to do that the day before and take the train to the airport without your luggage on the day of. It may be easier.

Can you elaborate a bit on this???? The train station is located where????

Is it the airline, in this case Cathay Pacific (the one we are flying international) that has a check in counter at the train station, that will tag & then deliver the bags to the airport????. Or is it a local delivery courier? We used this type of service at the Narita airport in Japan & the bags were delivered to the hotel in Kyoto.

I think it's a great idea, but might need additional info. Please follow up on this. Thanks, Doris

I would also double check with Cathay about the latest check-in time using the Airport Express Station for an international flight. a) your luggage has to get to your plane; b) extra screening is sometimes done on flights to the US.

• 3 weeks later...
Can you elaborate a bit on this???? The train station is located where????

Is it the airline, in this case Cathay Pacific (the one we are flying international) that has a check in counter at the train station, that will tag & then deliver the bags to the airport????. Or is it a local delivery courier? We used this type of service at the Narita airport in Japan & the bags were delivered to the hotel in Kyoto.

I think it's a great idea, but might need additional info. Please follow up on this. Thanks, Doris

Luggage can be check in at station except the one going to USA. It's the request by the TSA that all luggages going to the state must be check in at the airport counter with proof of ID.They may search your luggage before check in, and will search your carry on bag at security check point, before the gate and some time before boarding the plane.

ahfook

I am sorry that I am reading this so late in the game. I would not book the 9:30 AM flight. It is too early.

The ride to the airport can take longer than 45 minutes that time of day. It can be very crowded as you leave the city.

The airport itself is quite large from the main check in area to the gates.

You would want to arrive early for check in.

Go with the afternoon flight or just stay over one night.

I have flown out of there so I am familiar with the airport.

Keith

Have you checked with your cruise line. I would think that being docked overnight, you would be able to get off anytime. Thenit would just be a matter of deciding when you are comfortable getting off and heading to the airport.

I am sorry that I am reading this so late in the game. I would not book the 9:30 AM flight. It is too early.

The ride to the airport can take longer than 45 minutes that time of day. It can be very crowded as you leave the city.

The airport itself is quite large from the main check in area to the gates.

You would want to arrive early for check in.

Go with the afternoon flight or just stay over one night.

I have flown out of there so I am familiar with the airport.

Keith

Thanks for the feedback.... but flight already booked. After 26 days away wants to get home the same day & that was the only possible time.

As we overnight in HK will definetely disembark the ship VERY VERY early ..... possibly around 5:00AM. Will haul our own luggage & have a car reserved to pick up us.

Hopefully at that early time there will NOT be that much traffic geeting off the city...

Thanks for the feedback.... but flight already booked. After 26 days away wants to get home the same day & that was the only possible time.

As we overnight in HK will definetely disembark the ship VERY VERY early ..... possibly around 5:00AM. Will haul our own luggage & have a car reserved to pick up us.

Hopefully at that early time there will NOT be that much traffic geeting off the city...

I could not tell from your original post that you are overnighted in Hong Kong. That is a completely different story.

Keith

Archived