LOCAL VILLAGE BAR vs. JACK'S SHACK Grand Turk

FloatingSunGoddess

I'm not taking anything away from Jacks Shack, but I have to say that the Local Bar and Restaurant has:

Phenomenal local food and great drinks at better than average prices. A friendly and attentive staff, free chairs and umbrellas, and free wi-fi.

Ask for Arthur the owner (who is from Turks and Caicos) who will be happy to set you up with a free sample shot as well. They go out of there way to make sure you have the best day possible while you are there at the beach.

Thank you for the info on Arthur and the free shot. Guess now I really have no reason to go to Jacks :)

Thank you for the info on Arthur and the free shot. Guess now I really have no reason to go to Jacks :)

Well, if LV isn't your ideal, Jack's is only a 2 minute stroll up the beach. You can take a look and then decide. but LV gets my vote:cool:

Well, if LV isn't your ideal, Jack's is only a 2 minute stroll up the beach. You can take a look and then decide. but LV gets my vote:cool:

It sounds like Jack's might need to have an "attitude (& food/cost) adjustment" or they will be losing a lot of cruise business to their competition, Local Village! :cool: :D

s7s .... The Local Village Bar had sign outside which listed WiFi on it. Makes me assume they had it ... don't know for sure.

Thank you about the WiFi.

Has Local Village been there long as I don't remember noticing it?

After reading these reviews, I decided to go to Jack's Shack for his jerk chicken and pet his digging dog Topher. Then I will walk back to Local Village to get some Conch Fritters and (cheaper) beers, use their free beach chairs and wifi :D

My wife and I will be in Grand Turks on Friday May 25th on our cruise on the Carnival Miracle.

We're planning a pub crawl that day and have both of these places already on our list I've also read about a place in town called Barbies that appears good. That's where we're planning on starting and working our way back to the pier.

:cool:

Big dog- please let me know how your bar crawl went. Thinking about doing this as well. If you have bar recommendations let me know

I'm not taking anything away from Jacks Shack, but I have to say that the Local Bar and Restaurant has:

Phenomenal local food and great drinks at better than average prices. A friendly and attentive staff, free chairs and umbrellas, and free wi-fi.

Ask for Arthur the owner (who is from Turks and Caicos) who will be happy to set you up with a free sample shot as well. They go out of there way to make sure you have the best day possible while you are there at the beach.

I just got back yesterday and did stop at Local Village Bar and did ask Arthur about the free shot of rum. At first, he was hesitant but did end up given us ONE, there were 4 of us. Not that the other 3 asked for one (of course, I did :D), but he didn't offer it to them or bring over one for each of us to try. Its not that we didn't spend $ either. We did have a few things to eat and a few drinks, so we left $$ behind.

I did have a great time though. The music was playing. The location was perfect and the drinks were cold. I would definately recommend it and would love to visit again.

Ah heck, guess I'll add my $.02

We have been to Jack's and had a blast. Nice beach and Topher was a hit splashing around with the kids, ages 2 - 62. :p It is my understanding that the $5.00 chair charge goes to the locals who set up and break down the beach area.

We have not been to the Local Village yet, we missed the port in 2011 due to a change in itinerary.

We have sailed into GT on the Pride, which arrives at 06:30. When we got to Jack's they were less then friendly at 07:00. I guess I would be too, if not on vacation, but I am sure that they are aware of the cruiseship's schedule. Once, they had everything up and running it was all good. We talked with Jack and Janet as well as LeRoy who cooks up and serves some of the finest jerk chicken we have ever had. (you will need your fingers for this)

My question is what time do these places "officially" open in the morning? We were planning a beach day, heading straight to Jacks first, stopping at the Local Village, then on to Margaritaville so I could get my hurricane and obligatory mass market parrothead tee-shirt.:D

Ah heck, guess I'll add my $.02

We have been to Jack's and had a blast. Nice beach and Topher was a hit splashing around with the kids, ages 2 - 62. :p It is my understanding that the $5.00 chair charge goes to the locals who set up and break down the beach area.

We have not been to the Local Village yet, we missed the port in 2011 due to a change in itinerary.

We have sailed into GT on the Pride, which arrives at 06:30. When we got to Jack's they were less then friendly at 07:00. I guess I would be too, if not on vacation, but I am sure that they are aware of the cruiseship's schedule. Once, they had everything up and running it was all good. We talked with Jack and Janet as well as LeRoy who cooks up and serves some of the finest jerk chicken we have ever had. (you will need your fingers for this)

My question is what time do these places "officially" open in the morning? We were planning a beach day, heading straight to Jacks first, stopping at the Local Village, then on to Margaritaville so I could get my hurricane and obligatory mass market parrothead tee-shirt.:D

I forget to mention...I bought a beer cozy and had it personnally audigraphed by Topher. Paw and all.

Local Bar over Jack's, we went there and Jack himself was there and well was a jerk :eek:, walked to the Local Bar and they were very friendly and food and drinks were very reasonable. There was a guy there offering tours $10 per person we didn't do it but another couple did said it was ok. We sat and drank beers and enjoyed the view.:) . Going there on the Breeze in January the Local Bar will get all my $$$$$.

That "Village Bar" in 2007 was totally vacant in September 2007, and in 2010 it was still vacant and overgrown with grass and weeds, and then much to my suprise in February 2011 it was a fixed up and it was a bar!!!!!

Thank you for that - we were there in September of 2010, and as people are talking about this place, I"m like "Where the heck was that???"

Definitely looks like a place to try out!

Just got back from Grand Turk and the Local Village.....Local Village is the place to go. Nice people, good food, clean bathrooms, free wi-fi, free chairs and umbrellas. We felt like we were part of the "local village."

Great place.

We went to both places last week (May 25, 2012). We also went to Barbies in town.

Barbies was more a lunch spot than a bar, but if you want economy 2 orders of excellent conch fritters, two beers and a lemonade - $13.00.

Jacks Shack - Jerk Chicken was ok, dogs were fun to watch.

Local Village - Let's just say that Arthur, your host tries hardest. They'll split a coconut for you for coconut milk for $5.00. $3.00 more if you want rum added.

Any choice is a good choice.

We will be there in July with the idea of hanging out at Jacks but it looks like we will also go to the Local Village bar to hang out. we may stop by Jacks to say "we have been there" but the Local Village Bar will get our Money also

Edited by HMC RET

• 1 month later...
I have been trying to see the local village place. Is there a beach with it or is it just a bar type of structure? Thanks.

It's a bar on the beach...to the left of the cruise port area (as you're facing the land from the ship). It's on the way to Jack's Shack. I believe it's a blue building. The music is so loud you can usually hear it from the ship:eek:

I have been trying to see the local village place. Is there a beach with it or is it just a bar type of structure? Thanks.

It is definately on the beach. The chairs are free but we just sat outside at the bar and went into the water when we got hot.

I enjoyed the Local Village. After looking at how much further up the beach Jacks was, I was glad we stopped there.

We were there last month. Walked by Local Village & the Crew Bar and they just didn't look that inviting (I like that beach bar feel) We ended up at Jack's and stayed there there for a few hours before we had to head back to the ship. We had a lot of fun sitting at the bar talking to Jack & Janet and other cruisers. The jerk chicken is awesome! I even bought a bottle of Leroy's Jerk Sauce!

We went to Jacks in March Beers were $5. Jack was OK. I think he may be moody he is either freindly or not so freindly. Not sure what his deal is. he needs to drop his beer prices tho. jerk Chicken was good. We also drove around the Island and found a little shack on the water selling $3 beers.

• 4 weeks later...

I didn't care for Jack's Shack either. The Staff was cold and the drinks were so so. After we discovered the $5.00 chairs....we walked back to The Local Village. The chairs are free, drinks were great and the conch fritters were VERY good!! The whole vibe was fun! Prices are very reasonable!

We were just there last Thursday and it made my BEST OF THE CRUISE list - and it was a great cruise. I found Jack and Janet to be warm and welcoming. They called my husband and I by first name after being introduced only once and despite being busy, answered our questions and chummed around with us like we were old friends. I even got a hug upon leaving. The jerk was AWESOME and worth every penny of $11 (with a large helping of fries - 3 good sized pieces of chicken. Filled us up). The drinks were just strong enough. I played around in the water with Topher while DH relaxed. We will go back every time we're in Grand Turk and would honestly book a cruise JUST BECAUSE we can go back to Jack's. Because of our experience (with Oasis Divers and Jack's) we now want to do an extended stay on Grand Turk. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the place to people who want a laid back beach experience.