EPIC Rome Tour for Mom after Knee Surgery

shawn&angie

Hello Everyone! We are taking out first NCL cruise in September on the Epic. We were looking at some of the shore excursions and want to get the most while in Rome. All of them state lots of walking. Does anyone know if they have wheelchairs or if it's really all that bad as far as strenuous walking excursion?? Mon will be 62 and will have had knee surgery two to three months prior to our European Cruise & may be ok to walk but wanted to check in with our friends on CC for any knowledge or advice! Thanks!!!

Shawn

I will jump in here.

First are you on your ROLL CALL??? Because there might be independent tours available with a more personalized approach and can accommodate less walking.

Have you posted your question over on the ITALY board on the PORTS OF CALL/EUROPE section? You will get the best answers over there from people who have done tours in Rome.

ALSO, have you considered arranging a private tour? Usually they are much cheaper than what the cruise line offers and as above, they can cater their tour to your speed/ability. Plus you are not herded in a group and will more than likely see much more in the same amount of time as a ship's tour.

Okay, that brings me to cobblestones. I walk a lot (I'm a Letter Carrier) one of my knees isn't in great condition any more, but I don't usually have problems. In Germany last year I did have a lot of problems walking on cobbles, in the streets on the sidewalks, after an hour or so my knee was rebelling and I was popping Excedrin all evening to help with the pain. So I would suggest you ask specific questions on the Italy boards about what the areas you are thinking of visiting are actually paved with. After recent surgery, the cobbles might not be advised for your Mom.

I know in Venice I had no problems other than blisters so if Rome is similar it shouldn't be a problem.

Hi just wanted to pipe in. I have had 9 knee surgeries, I am in my early 50's. No kneecap either. Europe doesn't have an ada act and the streets are hard to walk on with lots of small or big inclines(hard for me). I would sugesst good shoes I like merrels jungle crocs, lots of small breaks. Even with private tours you do alot of walking. Rome is a walking town. Alot of places in Rome also have there bathrooms downstairs. I say be prepared she can do it just let her take breaks when she needs them. And the cobblestones are a pain, literally. Have fun though. Pain is temporary and memories are forever!

• 1 month later...

Archived