First time cruisers

Tink1987

Hi All,

We have booked on the P&O Azura for the 2nd June cruise to the Fjords which is a 7 night cruise.

It was a choice between the Azura and the Grand Princess 7 night cruise also departing on the same day and after a lot of thought, we did decide on the Azura as we preferred the itinerary and ship.

Getting a bit wound up and worried now reading about the formal nights etc. Is there any way to know before how many formal/semi-formal/smart casual nights there will be? Just getting a little bit stressed about what to pack and buy beforehand. I have read about the black and white formal night, will we know about this before??

Also getting worried about what to wear incase I look out of place. Do I need a floor length gown or will cocktail dresses be OK?.....my partner is already OK as he has plenty of smart jackets and trousers etc.

Will three quarter length trousers be OK for a woman on a semi casual night? I guess jeans are not allowed at any time on the night in the restaurants? Thinking of taking a few smart pairs of trousers, a few nice blouses and some smart cardigans as well.

Sorry for all the questions, I am sure you hear them all the time but just getting a bit worried that we have booked the wrong type of holiday for us.

Thanks in advance for any tips!

Hi Tink

Last year on the formal evenings I wore a shin length cocktail dress for the 1st evening then on the second a long black maxi dress. I didn't look out of place at all.

The rest of the evenings I wore linen trousers with smart tops. :)

Hi All,

We have booked on the P&O Azura for the 2nd June cruise to the Fjords which is a 7 night cruise.

It was a choice between the Azura and the Grand Princess 7 night cruise also departing on the same day and after a lot of thought, we did decide on the Azura as we preferred the itinerary and ship.

Getting a bit wound up and worried now reading about the formal nights etc. Is there any way to know before how many formal/semi-formal/smart casual nights there will be? Just getting a little bit stressed about what to pack and buy beforehand. I have read about the black and white formal night, will we know about this before??

Also getting worried about what to wear incase I look out of place. Do I need a floor length gown or will cocktail dresses be OK?.....my partner is already OK as he has plenty of smart jackets and trousers etc.

Will three quarter length trousers be OK for a woman on a semi casual night? I guess jeans are not allowed at any time on the night in the restaurants? Thinking of taking a few smart pairs of trousers, a few nice blouses and some smart cardigans as well.

Sorry for all the questions, I am sure you hear them all the time but just getting a bit worried that we have booked the wrong type of holiday for us.

Thanks in advance for any tips!

We're on the same cruise as you. Just checked my details and it is 2 formal, 2 semi-formal and 3 casual. The will be some in full length gowns on formal evening but I generally where cocktail length dresses. On other evenings I tend to wear trousers and a top. I would be more likely to wear three quarter length or capri style trousers on the casual evenings rather than smart/semi-formal or whatever they are calling it this year! For semi formal I tend to go for black trousers and top.

We're on the same cruise as you. Just checked my details and it is 2 formal, 2 semi-formal and 3 casual. The will be some in full length gowns on formal evening but I generally where cocktail length dresses. On other evenings I tend to wear trousers and a top. I would be more likely to wear three quarter length or capri style trousers on the casual evenings rather than smart/semi-formal or whatever they are calling it this year! For semi formal I tend to go for black trousers and top.

Snap :)

:)Very few passengers dress up for the 60s/70s night. This is something that the Entertainment team dress up for and there is usually a 60s/70s disco that evening. In the 10 cruises I've been on I've only seen a very few passengers who have dressed up and they have only done so after dinner. I really wouldn't worry about this one unless you really want to dress up.

If there is a Black and White evening (not sure whether you have this on a 7 night cruise or not) then this is a formal evening - ladies usually wear either black and white or all black evening wear with a white pashmina, or bag or brooch etc. Men of course are already in black and white with their dinner jackets.

Hope this helps - stop worrying you'll have a fantastic time.

Carole

Yep, me too, although not being a dress lady and much preferring trousers of some sort at any time, I tend to just wear a long black dress on black and white night and have some evening palazzo trousers (one pair black, one pair navy) that I can wear with dressy or casual tops at any other time. My DH always wears a dinner suit, white dress shirt and bow tie on formal evenings, smart jacket on semi-formals and always smart casual on any other evenings.

Hope this may help you too, but just go for whatever you feel most comfortable in and enjoy yourself. :)

theres a lot of folks panic over dress codes ,

the best way to look at it is dress as you feel comfortable long or cocktail dress both fit in well ,

the thing to remember its your cruise so enjoy it norway is a lovely place to see and visit enjoy

I usually follow the rule - formal - long, semi-formal - cocktail. Casual - nice dress or trousers and a top.

We too are on this cruise and there are 2 formal, 2 semi formal, 3 casual.

Black and white will be a formal night, usually the last one.

Theres a 60s/70s but no-one dresses in the theme usually - just enjoy the music at the 60s/70s party!

This time there's no Tropical Night - which makes sense in the Fjords - though have had them in the Baltic before now!

Welcome to Cruise Critic Tink1987. First - stop stressing and enjoy the build up to your cruise - that is almost as much fun as the cruise itself! There will be a wide variety of evening style clothing so wear what you feel most comfortable in. Personally I like long dresses, but you will see as many cocktail and ballerina length as well.

I used to work on the principal that formal was long, semi-formal was a cocktail dress and smart casual was what I would wear to a smart restaurant on shore, but P&O have confused everyone I think by changing it to black tie, smart and casual. This seems to translate to many as formal, casual and wear-what-you-like, at least was what it looked like on Oceana last year!

Now you've sorted out what to wear, have you thought about what trips to do? Your tours must be online now? I go to the Fjords again on 18th May and my tours have been ready to book for a while now. What ports have you got?

Our ports are:

Stavanger

Flaam

Olden

Norway

Bergen

I have looked at the excursions online over the Easter weekend and I think we will be booking most of them through P&O. I know its much more expensive but because its our first cruise I would rather do it this way.

I have read good reviews of the Norway in a Nutshell tour in Flaam so I think we will definitely be booking that one.

Can anybody recommend anymore? Thanks all :-)

Welcome to Cruise Critic Tink1987. First - stop stressing and enjoy the build up to your cruise - that is almost as much fun as the cruise itself! There will be a wide variety of evening style clothing so wear what you feel most comfortable in. Personally I like long dresses, but you will see as many cocktail and ballerina length as well.

I used to work on the principal that formal was long, semi-formal was a cocktail dress and smart casual was what I would wear to a smart restaurant on shore, but P&O have confused everyone I think by changing it to black tie, smart and casual. This seems to translate to many as formal, casual and wear-what-you-like, at least was what it looked like on Oceana last year!

Thanks very much Sharon, I am feeling much more relaxed about it now :-)

The Lake boat trip and glacier visit from Olden is excellent. About 45 minutes on the boat as you approach the glacier, coffee stop, trip to glacier which is about 15 minutes walk each way and about half an hour at the glacier. You can walk along the glacier tongue to the base of the mountain.

I seriously wouldn't bother with tours in Stavanger. The ship berths right in the centre of the town. It is so easy to explore the Gamla Stan (old Town) on foot, wander round the maritime museum or go to the Cathedral or up the fire watch tower or even shopping (if you can afford it in Norway!). You can virtually see the ship from anywhere in the town so cannot get lost.

416%2520Stavanger%252C%2520Norway.JPG

I'd say the same about Bergen but I think the larger ships berth further away from the centre than the ones I have been on.

Your first cruise is always special so savour every minute. I do hope you realise though that cruising is very addictive!!

The Lake boat trip and glacier visit from Olden is excellent. About 45 minutes on the boat as you approach the glacier, coffee stop, trip to glacier which is about 15 minutes walk each way and about half an hour at the glacier. You can walk along the glacier tongue to the base of the mountain.

Thank you very much juggler, we will take a look at that one later! :D

I seriously wouldn't bother with tours in Stavanger. The ship berths right in the centre of the town. It is so easy to explore the Gamla Stan (old Town) on foot, wander round the maritime museum or go to the Cathedral or up the fire watch tower or even shopping (if you can afford it in Norway!). You can virtually see the ship from anywhere in the town so cannot get lost.

416%2520Stavanger%252C%2520Norway.JPG

I'd say the same about Bergen but I think the larger ships berth further away from the centre than the ones I have been on.

Your first cruise is always special so savour every minute. I do hope you realise though that cruising is very addictive!!

Thank you, we will take a proper look later....if it can be done I don't mind exploring by ourselves at all!

Haha, I am beginning to realise the addiction already! I just love the thought of seeing different places in one holiday!

Archived