Early morning dive / beach options in West Bay/End?

OrcaGirl

Will be in Roatan next week on the Carnival Glory, but still struggling to find the right excursions. The Glory is in Roatan from 7am to 3pm ship time, which is 5am to 1pm local time, as far as I can tell.

My husband wants to book a two-tank scuba dive, and I want to hang out on either West Bay beach or Half Moon Bay in West End. Ideally, we'd be able to travel together to the dive shop, and then I'd find a nearby beach club or resort that offers a day pass.

Any suggestions of dive operators that either offer early morning two-tank dives, or adjust their schedules based on which ship's are in port? The Glory is the only ship in Roatan that day, which could be a good thing (more likely to adjust schedule) or a bad thing (fewer customers).

Has anyone been to Roatan on the Glory and successfully fit in a two-tank dive?

Thanks!

Erin

I think this is do-able cause most of the dive companies go out at 9am.. If you have to be in the water at 8 it may be possible to have a shop shift their schedule but if may cost you a few extra in dollars.

Have a look at the Trip Advisor reviews of dive shops, everyone seems to have a favorite. I have a friend who only goes with Coconut Tree, I have heard very good things about Reef Gliders,and was out snorkeling with the with the very nice guys from Anemona. Bannarama has a cruise dive page. Hmm TGI is with Henry Morgan Resort, they may not cotton to shifting their schedule.

I think your best bet is to connect individual dive shops and ask what they can do for ya.

I doubt the number of ships in port are going to have any bearing on the dive shops. Roatan was put in the map by the world class diving people from all over the world stay on the island to dive.

• 3 months later...
I think this is do-able cause most of the dive companies go out at 9am.. If you have to be in the water at 8 it may be possible to have a shop shift their schedule but if may cost you a few extra in dollars.

Have a look at the Trip Advisor reviews of dive shops, everyone seems to have a favorite. I have a friend who only goes with Coconut Tree, I have heard very good things about Reef Gliders,and was out snorkeling with the with the very nice guys from Anemona. Bannarama has a cruise dive page. Hmm TGI is with Henry Morgan Resort, they may not cotton to shifting their schedule.

I think your best bet is to connect individual dive shops and ask what they can do for ya.

I doubt the number of ships in port are going to have any bearing on the dive shops. Roatan was put in the map by the world class diving people from all over the world stay on the island to dive.

Thanks for the info...we are planning a dive trip while on a cruise also...

Well here is my experience..... not on a Carnival ship but a Royal Caribbean one.

We visited first in March 2011 and did a one tank dive with West End Divers. I believe it was a 9 am dive. Great dive and great dive shop. We only wanted to do one tank tho.......

Now, we just got back from a one week visit and stayed at Infinity Bay. They have a wonderful new dive shop there called Infinity Divers. Spectacular. They were so great ......valet service.

They offer 8:30 and 10:30 dives every day. The West Bay beach area would be perfect for you to hang out on while he dives and the boat returns right there at Infinity Bay at the pier. You can purchase day passes there and use the pool (100ft infinity pool) with swim up bar, palapa restaurant, bathrooms, chairs, umbrellas etc. I don't know if they offer them ahead of time or what they cost but it is a really nice place. Bananarama is right down the beach, Tabyana is right next door and the whole beach is beautiful, calm clear water and safe. You can even take a water taxi over to West End for an hour or two and shop and that is safe to do by yourself too. Cost $3.00 pp.

A one tank dive with them is 35.00 plus equipment which was 12.00 I think. (We had our own) Roberto was our dive master and he was wonderful. The diving in Roatan is the best we have done (and we have dove all over - even the Red Sea) and we are headed back with the kids (grown) for Christmas.

Hope this helps.

Archived