Belize Bannister Island Beach Break - thru Carnival worth it?

michelle028

Hi everyone,

Questions for those who have gone to Belize.

Have you done the Bannister Beach Break in Belize through Carnival? What was your experience? they quote it as about $40 on the website.

Its my first time there in Belize and I do want to go to a beach, and i'm hearing mixed reviews about the beach area etc.

Let me know! Thanks for your help :)

Personally, we just went to Bannister Island in November...I would save the money!! The beach was not great. There were lots of shells, the water wasn't that clear and 3 of the 6 people in our group were stung by jellyfish :rolleyes:

Being our first time in Belize we didn't want to stay on the ship, but looking back I would have used that money for a port day massage :D

my wife and I just got home from our Carnival Glory cruise today. We did the Bannister Island excursion on Thursday and I'd do it again. Beautiful beach. Calm, clear, clean water. Nice beach chairs and even a bar/restaurant not too far away. It was worth it.

Bannister Beach is the beach after the Reef Snorkeling excursion. It's nice, but not as good as some others. It was great to be able to relax after snorkeling and have some beach time, but if you are doing a beach-only excursion I'd go at a different port.

We had 3 hours, and there was not a problem getting chairs...The food is not anything spectacular, but we did not eat much there. had 3 ice buckets of 5 Belkin beers. They were $17 for 5 bottles , not too bad, but the water was really beautiful when we were there, and we enjoyed the boat ride.

Thanks for the pretty pics, i'll pack watershoes How long did you get to spend there? Was it really crowded?

657uj5.jpg

Will send another photo..Am experimenting with Tinypic..We really liked Belize after all the negative we have heard..We have a cruise booked there in April 2013 ,and March 2014. What ship are you on ?

I love your photos, it looks beautiful. We are going there next week! I can't wait to experience it for myself, as I have heard so many mixed reviews about it.

rj1dgm.jpg

I saw you are on the Dream, the Magic's twin. We were on RCCL Mariner when we were in Belize in March. We were supposed to be picked up directly from the ship to go to Bannister, but it was changed to tendering to port first, and it turned out I was glad, because I got to speak to some locals and learn a bit..After the excursion, they took us directly back to the ship. If you are going to Roatan, we have been there twice if I can share any info :)

You guys have a little farther journey to port than our 3 hours to Galveston..Thanks for the replies, enjoy your cruise, stay safe.:)

We are sailing on the Dream to the Western Carribean. We're almost there!:)

Thank you, I enjoy your pictures. Yeah we have a little ways to go, we are flying to Orlando the day before we cruise. We really like beaches, so I booked us all beach excursions! We are hopefully going to Roatan, I heard it can be missed at times because of the weather or large size of this ship. Keeping my fingers crossed.

We did a snorkel/beach break excursion through Coral Breeze a few years ago and the beach was Bannister. We really liked it there...not crowded...lots of palms and such to offer shade...bar/restaurant (we didn't eat there). Yes, the sand in the water was a little rocky, but that would be my only complaint. We would go back there!:)

I have a friend I met in Roatan a few years ago, and he informed me that they dredged out the channel at Mahogony bay where you will dock, so the ships can get in closer, thus eliminating the possibility of missing the port. Tabyana beach on the west end is gorgeous...We are going to try to take the public mini bus next time. You can give the driver $3 for 2 of you and that is much less than taxi fare...photo arriving at Roatan

Thank you, I enjoy your pictures. Yeah we have a little ways to go, we are flying to Orlando the day before we cruise. We really like beaches, so I booked us all beach excursions! We are hopefully going to Roatan, I heard it can be missed at times because of the weather or large size of this ship. Keeping my fingers crossed.

303ijhu.jpg

We've done the Bannister Island Beach Break twice. It was a good way to get off the ship without the hassle of tenders. Our trip included use of kayaks which were fun. The first year they had a water trampoline, but it was gone the second year. We were able to find chairs and some shade. The biggest issue we had were with the bathrooms. People flush the paper and the toliets can't handle it. Basically, they don't work most of the time. We stayed on the ship this year in Belize and enjoyed the quiet. It's ok, but twice was enough for us. The first year, they put us in an open fishing boat and we were soaked by the time we got to the beach. They usually use a closed boat, but for for some reason we didn't get one. Everyone looked pretty funny but if you have a camera, you might want to bring some protection just in case.

I have a friend I met in Roatan a few years ago, and he informed me that they dredged out the channel at Mahogony bay where you will dock, so the ships can get in closer, thus eliminating the possibility of missing the port. Tabyana beach on the west end is gorgeous...We are going to try to take the public mini bus next time. You can give the driver $3 for 2 of you and that is much less than taxi fare...photo arriving at Roatan

303ijhu.jpg

Hi TXSAIL,

I recognize that rainbow over Roatan. We were on the same sailing. Our beach excursion was a bit cold because of the rain. Luckily it was our only rain day on the trip.

We were a little lucky on the rain as we went to east end, Punta Gorda , and Oakridge, but the unpaved road was too muddy to get to Camp Bay.

Hi TXSAIL,

I recognize that rainbow over Roatan. We were on the same sailing. Our beach excursion was a bit cold because of the rain. Luckily it was our only rain day on the trip.

Are you transported directly from the ship to the island ?

Yes, we were on the Bannister Island tour we booked through Carnival. Going directly to and from the ship was great!

We totally enjoyed our time there! :)

I saw you are on the Dream, the Magic's twin. We were on RCCL Mariner when we were in Belize in March. We were supposed to be picked up directly from the ship to go to Bannister, but it was changed to tendering to port first, and it turned out I was glad, because I got to speak to some locals and learn a bit..After the excursion, they took us directly back to the ship. If you are going to Roatan, we have been there twice if I can share any info :)

We are going to Roatan for the first in June...would love to hear your thoughts on what we should do. Our kids (ages 15 & 10) will be with us.

Archived