Cocktails?

rainbowhays

My wife and I like to find a favorite bar/bar tender on a cruise and spend our time and money there. Our question is this, do you have to order drinks from the menu or are the bar tenders allowed to show their creativity and concuct a new cocktail for us?

I have never seen them get creative in the way you suggest. That doesn't mean they don't. The only thing standing in way I would think is establishing the correct charge and billing.

So just shooting from the hip here, I would say if they don't, it would be for administrative/accounting reasons and not because HAL bartenders don't know their way around a cocktail.

I could be wrong. I often am.:eek:

Smooth sailing...

You wont be paying the bartender anything it all goes on the cruise account, Tip too. So unless you eant to give him or her cash in addition to the 15% you will be charged, go ahead.

Special cocktals... you Will have to make in the room.

As others pointed out the register is programmed only for specific things and items.

DW has on occasion asked HAL bartenders to make 'special' drinks that she thought would taste particularly good and we've never had a problem. Provided they have the ingredients you need to make your drink, they just charge accordingly for whatever liquor is involved. This isn't something DW would ask for at a busy bar, of course, but when things are slow and we're just relaxing, what's the harm? Bartenders get bored too and, oftentimes, they really enjoy interacting socially with their patrons. And that ain't bad thing re extra tipping either.

Bartenders get bored too and, oftentimes, they really enjoy interacting socially with their patrons. And that ain't bad thing re extra tipping either.

Thats the fun of it.

I remember a nasty scene in the Crowsnest when a guest accused the bartender of overcharging for his cocktail. Calls were made to other bars on the ship to compare prices to establish that the charge was correct. All that over a Grey Goose martini - pretty standard. Imagine if it was a "creative" beverage.

I'm glad bartenders can experiment - though its been 20 years since I have enjoyed controlled beverages that way.;)

Thank you for your replies, we will probably have to make do with working our way through the cocktail menu, it's a tough life this cruising. We tend to give a tip to the bartenders at the beginning of the cruise and also leave a large tip to our favourites on the last night of the cruise.

Archived