Circular polarizer question

Thanks to the suggestions on another thread, I've just purchased a circular polarizing filter. (B+W; yes, I take to heart what you experts on here say!:))

I have a question: is there some point in the rotation of the filter when it is not any different than having a clear (or UV) filter on the lens?

(This is another way of asking whether I can just leave it on in daylight in lieu of a clear filter, even when I am not trying to use the polarizing effect.)

Thanks in advance!

Thanks to the suggestions on another thread, I've just purchased a circular polarizing filter. (B+W; yes, I take to heart what you experts on here say!:))

I have a question: is there some point in the rotation of the filter when it is not any different than having a clear (or UV) filter on the lens?

(This is another way of asking whether I can just leave it on in daylight in lieu of a clear filter, even when I am not trying to use the polarizing effect.)

Thanks in advance!

Nope...

The stop loss will vary slightly but in general it will cause a light loss at any rotational angle.

Dave

I will rob you of up to 2 f/stops if not needed. If you are outside and need to remove glare or enhance or give more definition to the sky or clouds then it worth the trade off. I keep mine off unless it's needed. Inside if you need to remove glare from a window or object. Check out this excellent review.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/B-W-77mm-MRC-Circular-Polarizer-Filter-Review.aspx

It explains why you might not want it on all the time in detail.

framer

The polarizer helps a lot when the sun is at a right angle to the subject. So, at midday, that would be overhead. Also at sunset/sunrise when your the sun is to the right or left and you're shooting straight ahead. Also, in the woods with a lot of dew/moisturizer. I put my polarizer on when shooting some fish, to remove the glare. Personally, I hate filters, because they get stuck so easily. I barely screw them on, then remove them immediately. Walking around with a couple of filters on your glass, can cause them to get stuck together.

... Personally, I hate filters, because they get stuck so easily. I barely screw them on, then remove them immediately. Walking around with a couple of filters on your glass, can cause them to get stuck together.

To aid in the filter being hard to take off, I cut a piece about 4" square of the rubberized shelf liner and keep it in my camera bag just for this purpose. It works like a charm.

Archived