Layover in Atlanta Im nervous

I missed a connection once in ATL and we had 40 minutes. It is tight for any airport connection. ATL is very easy to navigate, but REMEMBER check you connection on the monitor as soon as you get off. That's where I made my HUGE mistake. They had changed the terminal on me! :(. Good luck and have fun!

~Steph

Don't skip walking between terminals just because you "don't have time." If you get down there and have just missed the train, speed-walk on the moving sidewalks. You'll go about as fast as the trains! This is not so bad if you're one terminal off. I've done it from one end of ATL to the other before :-x Just think of it as an adventure! Hehehe! It seems like there's always people doing a mad dash when I'm going through ATL. What's one more couple?

[quote name='OhioCruiserDude']We are flying down to orlando for our cruise on sunday on Freedom we have a half hour layover in Atlanta I have heard horro stories about delays and having to change terminals. How bad is ATL can someone help put my mind at ease. Any tips or advice will help. I have been to Chicago O'Hare, JFK, Miami, Tokyo, but ATL is making me nervous[/QUOTE]

I just flew San Juan/Atlanta/Los Angeles via Air Tran. The flight from San Juan got in a tad early into Atlanta at 6:40P and I actually had time to have dinner before my connecting flight to Los Angeles at 8;20P. The gates weren't too far from each other and the restaurant was right across from the arrival gate in ATL so it work OK for me.

Now in your case 30 min is doable that's if everything is on time and you are connecting on the same carrier. . I'm not sure who booked your flights, but I would never advise anyone to do anything less than 1 1/2 to 2 hours connection time. But..at this point it is what it is. What I would do is see what the next flights from Atlanta to Orlando are and would those flights get me to the ship on time. Have plan B ready to go if you miss your connection flight. I'd find out if it is possible to stand by for an early flight into Atlanta. If not and you should get delayed into Atlanta have RCCL emergency travel deck 800 available and advise the gate agent you have cruise to catch. If RCCL booked your flight then they will rebook your flights and get you to the ship since they are the one's responsible for booking your air tickets. If you booked your flights independently then RCCL should be able to advise you what to do, but you are still responsible to get to the ship on time and arrange new flights. The way I look at it: Expect the best; plan for the worst. If you know what your options are then that should take some of the stress out.

[quote name='OhioCruiserDude']We are flying down to orlando for our cruise on sunday on Freedom we have a half hour layover in Atlanta I have heard horro stories about delays and having to change terminals. How bad is ATL can someone help put my mind at ease. Any tips or advice will help. I have been to Chicago O'Hare, JFK, Miami, Tokyo, but ATL is making me nervous[/QUOTE]

In addition to that, you still need to drive from Orlando to Port Canaveral, correct? The layover is too big of a risk with that added pressure (I HATE layovers in Atlanta... in fact, after our last time there, hubby and I decided to always pay more for a non-stop). There are non-stop flights from Cleveland on United. You could pay a penalty with Airtran to use your tickets another time and rebook on a non-stop flight. It sounds like this is your honeymoon... no point in risking it over a few hundred bucks. You will also feel much more relaxed.

Hopefully the OP isn't checking luggage. I'm not sure that his bags will make the next flight. Hopefully Air Tran is better than Delta about luggage transfers. Anytime I have flown through ATL with less than 2 hours between flights, I have made the plane but my checked luggage stayed in Atlanta.

Archived