Important to know about damaged luggage

lkneller

I picked up my suitcase from the carousel, just off an Airtran flight. There was a hole in it. I brought it immediately to the Airtran office, on the same floor of the airport. They brought me into a room filled with new suitcases, all sizes and colors, and told me to pick one out! :)

So, that is where my suitcase went to !

Honestly, having to report it immediately seems reasonable. After all, they would be replacing lots of worn luggage - LOL!

We have had damage, and mostly we just live with it. Fix it, deal with it, or toss it.

• 1 year later...

We had our suitcase - hard shell brand new - damaged on disembarkation at Venice. Unfortunately we had to get a connection to Vienna so were pushed for time so were unable to deal with it other than to advise the man in the stored luggage area who had the "tell someone who cares" attitude.

If we had spent the time dealing with it we would have missed our connection which wasn't tight, but we were very delayed leaving the ship and as we were unfamiliar with where we were to go we just couldnt afford to spend the time. New tickets from Venice to Vienna would have cost more than the suitcase.

When we arrived in Vienna with internet access I immediately advised Royal Caribbean of the damage. We had taken photos immediately we saw the damage. It is approx 8 inches crack across the bottom on the case.

Many many emails back and forward, almost 2 months and we have got nowhere. We have supplied photos, a report from the shop we bought it from stating the cost and that it is unrepairable. They are insisting on us providing a receipt which unfortunately I am unable to locate, yes for future reference I will save all receipts for everything i buy in case I ever need to produce it and store in a locked safe with my passport!!!! Next step is to consumer affairs who fortunately do take on the battlers when we have to fight these big companies. The price of my suitcase is micro in the scheme of things but I guess it depends how many suitcases get damaged on an average cruise. I will never allow my case to be handled by crew ever again.

Self embarking and disembarking for me in the future.

Edited by Tara Jane