What to expect at Mahogony Bay?

cml88

Ship docks right at the island within yards of the shore. Shops are very close and there's an ice cream store out front of the Harley store that has free wifi... use 'brady' as password. I chose the $12 chair lift instead of the short walk to the beach because I had a backpack with towels and another with snorkel equipment. Plus I wanted some pics from up there. $12 is good for the day. The restaurant bar at the beach advertised free wifi but it wasn't working last week. The snorkeling was pretty good out past the swim area left of the pier. Nice coral reef and plenty of fish and water was clear. Water temp was about 80F.

Go to the far end of the beach near the pier where it will be less crowded. There's a private beach area between the public areas where you can pay for an air conditioned room or cushioned chairs. I think this is arranged through the ship. Not many people did this though. The far end puts you close to the Fat Tuesdays where you can enjoy their music and grab a quick drink.

The snorkeling was pretty good out past the swim area left of the pier. Nice coral reef and plenty of fish and water was clear.

This statement may be true... if Mahogany Bay were compared to a swimming pool back home, but compared to the actual barrier reef at West Bay beach on the other side of the island, this is not a "nice coral reef"!

I don't mean to sound argumentative, but I'd hate someone to plan their day according to this assessment and miss out on a truly amazing experience when they have come so close and may never be here again! :cool:

I've never been there before. What should we expect? Is it a tendering island? Are there shops? Beaches in walking distance? Whats it like?! thanks!

To really experience Roatan, you have to get away from the port... you can get a private tour for a very reasonable price and have it tailored to what you would like to do. If you book privately and not through the ship, you have to walk out of the port... most everyone does... it is a short walk and very safe. We personally know Janet Jackson, she is born and raised on the Island. She took us to Bannarama Beach, it was amazing... she took us all around the island and showed us some beautiful places.. she will also stop at the zip line if you would like to do that... or shopping some of the local merchants... her daughter is also a school teacher and head of the Hilltop Acadamy on the Island... we stopped and distributed some school supplies to the kids and had just a wonderful time.. We will be back, contact her at Jjacksontour@yahoo.com

and let her know what you would like to do... well worth it!!

"To really experience Roatan, you have to get away from the port"...

I could not agree more!!! My first time there I spent 15 mins @ Mahogany Bay - to me it is completely artificial - sure the water and sand are real but it does not come close to West Bay.

To really experience Roatan, you have to get away from the port... you can get a private tour for a very reasonable price and have it tailored to what you would like to do. If you book privately and not through the ship, you have to walk out of the port... most everyone does... it is a short walk and very safe. We personally know Janet Jackson, she is born and raised on the Island. She took us to Bannarama Beach, it was amazing... she took us all around the island and showed us some beautiful places.. she will also stop at the zip line if you would like to do that... or shopping some of the local merchants... her daughter is also a school teacher and head of the Hilltop Acadamy on the Island... we stopped and distributed some school supplies to the kids and had just a wonderful time.. We will be back, contact her at Jjacksontour@yahoo.com

and let her know what you would like to do... well worth it!!

Just so there is no confusion.... Bananarama is a resort is on West Bay Beach. :)

Mahogany Bay is an artificial site. I knew that when we went there. It is like going to any of the "private islands" cruise ships own/rent. It is a relaxing beach day. You will not got any of the real flavor of this island.

This was our final port of call and we were ready to relax. We bought the package that included the chair lift, a clam shell cabanna, and mats.

Just so there is no confusion.... Bananarama is a resort is on West Bay Beach. :)

We went snorkeling there last week. Nice, not great, but a perfect place for the kids to get their "Snorkel" on before we hit Grand Cayman. The view underwater is better if you go to the left closer to the rocks. Not much color, but lots of fishies to look at, and the reef keeps the big waves to a minimum. Easy snorkel that goes no deeper than 7' unless you go around the reef, which is not necessary. The downfall is the swarm of vendors who stalk you on the beach. We went out in shifts, trading off with my wife to watch our stuff or watch the kids in the water.

We went snorkeling there last week. Nice, not great, but a perfect place for the kids to get their "Snorkel" on before we hit Grand Cayman. The view underwater is better if you go to the left closer to the rocks. Not much color, but lots of fishies to look at, and the reef keeps the big waves to a minimum. Easy snorkel that goes no deeper than 7' unless you go around the reef, which is not necessary. The downfall is the swarm of vendors who stalk you on the beach. We went out in shifts, trading off with my wife to watch our stuff or watch the kids in the water.

Wait Vendors???..Thought this was a private island?? There's only 2 of us going...so hearing about having to watch your stuff on the beach is definitely a downer, not like one of us is going off alone in the water !...

Wait Vendors???..Thought this was a private island?? There's only 2 of us going...so hearing about having to watch your stuff on the beach is definitely a downer, not like one of us is going off alone in the water !...

Seems a bit of confusion exists.. Mahogany Bay Cruise Port is a private area with a beach for only the cruise people... it is not an island. Check out the links in my 1st post it will give you a very good idea of what the what is.

West Bay Beach where Bananarama Resort and Tabyana are.. is a whole different part of the island. There are vendors on West Bay Beach.

ash97206 ~ I agree the snorkeling is not great at Bananarama... one need go down the beach to Infinity swim though the reef to get pics like this...

There are lockers around Bananarama for rent, I do believe. There were 5 of us, so we just did shifts, no big deal.

Also, Pizzarama is on the path from the parking area to the entrance of Bananarama. Very good pie, reasonably-priced, great lunch stop.

Ohh ok. I understand now. Yes the goal for that day is to get right off the ship and lay at the closest beach. It's the last stop of the cruise...so no traveling ,taxis, anything..plus there's only 2 of us so we won't be talking shifts. A private beach would work much better for us.

Archived