Snorkel Gear - Worth it to Buy / Bring your own?

I'd really like to pick up snorkle gear before we leave next Sunday on the Mariner for our Western Caribbean cruise.

Is it worth it to buy your own? Is it that much of a difference?

Is it worth it to bring your own? Is it a hassle to bring with you, etc.?

And particular brand that you would recommend? If we do buy it, it will be from a local scuba / snorkel shop.

After the snorkeling on our honeymoon, I will never again use "provided" gear. You aren't assured of a sure fit, some pleaces don't clean them well (ew), and we had lots of problems with leaking and other issues. Although we still had fun, we vowed to use our own equipment from then on :)

We purchased a mask and snorkel for our honeymoon in November 200. We have since been on one cruise and are booked for one in June 2005. They are not that expensive to purchase. If you do rent the snorkel the mouthpieces that I saw in Cozumel were new and you kept the plastic piece.

We have always brought our own gear, even when purchasing an excursion where they are provided. I am not going to put my mouth on a mouthpiece thay may/may not have been cleaned well. Our whole pkg was purchased at Costco (they still have some) a couple of years ago, they work great, and come with their own backpacks, and are fairly compact. This was you can do your own thing, and we've found the greatest places to snorkel (ask a local!).

We bought our own after our 2nd cruise because got tired of having masks that leaked. I hadn't found Cruisecritic before then and hadn't even THOUGHT about the GERMS!!!:eek: :eek:

One word of caution: do NOT push your mask up on your head and float on your back. You will find that you no longer have a mask and snorkel and that if you are in murky water you won't be able to find them! ($100 lesson!) I just chalked it up to contributing to the economy of Labadee. :o

Geoherb: Shame on you not being prepared!! :rolleyes: Maybe you thought the cold, icy waters would kill the germs?

The "yuck" factor also prompted me to buy my own gear for me and the kids (wife figured she would just be shopping, and would leave the snorkeling to us).

I had great results and prices with http://www.leisurepro.com. If you are leaving this coming Sunday (May 1) I don't think this option would work for you, but if you meant 5/8 you should have no trouble receiving stuff by then.

And I know people say you should try on the masks, which obviously makes sense, but what I did was get three different masks for the three of us, figuring somehow we would find a combination that would fit everyone.

As far as snorkels go, I remember the old snorkels which were like garden hoses with a mouthpiece, and the minute you went under water you got a mouthful of saltwater. I bought the Ocean Master Dry Snorkel, which allegedly is excellent at preventing water from entering.

We go this summer, so I have yet to try any of the equipment out. Happy shopping.

Just a few thoughts. It is absolutely best to try before you buy. There is no way to know what will work--and you really need to try the mask and snorkel together. The weight and shape of the snorkel will affect the fit of the mask. This is especially true for men who wear mustaches/beards and those with paricularly small or large heads. Of course that's not always possible depending on where you live.

About the Ocean Master. DH has one of the flexible ones (I hope you got flexible because the fixed type of snorkels are not as comfortable or easy to use, IMO). He loves it and also has a Tusa hyperdry, which is the kind I have. It's semi-dry with a fabulous purge valve and works beautifully. The semi-dry is that it's designed to keep out most water (particularly splashes and waves), but if you do dive down, it can collect water. I never got any in my mouth though. And of course with anything but a fully dry snorkel you still need to do a purge blow when you surface. No biggie for me.

Anyway, my word of warning on the Ocean Master is that they are large and long (for the average snorkel) and top heavy. My 6 ft tall, broad shouldered DH has no problem with it. I tried one on when we were shopping for our gear and found it very uncomfortable. I'm 5 ft 2 and rather petite. It's difficult for a small person to wear, IMO, and it was not comfortable because of that. It is, however, a fully dry snorkel. No water comes in the top--that's why it's so top heavy. There's a large valve thingy (technical term. lol) on it.

I hope everything you bought works out for you. But if not, I hope leisurepro has a good return policy.

Enjoy your snorkeling.

beachchick

We always bring our own snorkel mask AND fins. doesn,t really take too much room. Just leave some shoes at home! We snorkeled in places we never thought we could -just because we had them along. Too much fun!

Christina1003: I just realized that I should have mentioned that there is a Diver's Direct outlet in Orlando. If you are flying in early and renting a car, you could go there. That is where we got most of our gear. The sales people were knowledgeable; the prices were good (I'd done some research); and we were able to try out everything--they even told us to come in after the cruise if we had any problems (and, of course, if we had time before flying home).

I am sorry I didn't think of this sooner.

beachchick

Thanks eveyrone!

beachchick: Actually, we're flying in late the night before and staying at Cocoa Beach. Then we're going directly to the port in the morning. How far is the port from Orlando? Not sure if I'd have time to drive all the way back...hmmm! Thanks!

About 45 minutes. Really easy drive.

Another place to check on gear is Sam's club. Not sure if they have them out yet, but we got our Body Glove gear there and they work great. DW's has the Desert Dry snorkel and I love using it to dive for shells or get close-ups with the underwater camera.

Good luck on the gear shopping and have a great cruise.

I bought my latest snorkel gear in Florida and was surprized to find that it wasn't cheap. For some strange reason, I had it in my mind that it wouldn't be expensive there but I was wrong. :o It was of very good quality though and would have been tough to find where I live. S Ontario isn't known as one of the world's hot spots for snorkeling. :p

The fins seem to be the biggest problem for both packing and lugging around, so I left them at home and only brought my mask and snorkel tube. Then I used the tour company's fins.

Beth

Christina1003: I just realized that I should have mentioned that there is a Diver's Direct outlet in Orlando. If you are flying in early and renting a car, you could go there. That is where we got most of our gear. The sales people were knowledgeable; the prices were good (I'd done some research); and we were able to try out everything--they even told us to come in after the cruise if we had any problems (and, of course, if we had time before flying home).

I am sorry I didn't think of this sooner.

beachchick

I like Diver's direct outlet in Orlando, and I think there is one is Key Largo too. It is always a must stop for me, a diver when in the area.

jc

Yes, if you get up early and zoom it into Orlando, you should have enough time to buy at Diver's Direct. I suggest you go to the Scuba/Snorkel/Dive forum here (or whatever it's called) and also maybe something like epinions for a quick look if possible. Otherwise, have in mind what you are looking for, although the folks at the shop will be happy to quickly guide you through what you need (little things like neoprene back bands for your mask so your hair won't snag and pull--I love mine--and I suggest you get snorkel vests). And really good gear isn't going to be cheap no matter where you get it. In fact, we found "cheap" gear in a local sporting goods shop. It was cheap for a reason.

(Thanks for the backup opinion jc.)

beachchick

We bought all of our equipment through a sporting goods store (Dick's, Galyans, SportMart... etc...) and paid somewhere in between $40 and $60 for the set (Mine was cheap because my feet forgot to grow up and I have kids flippers...) The BEST was what I bought my husband, a full set that fits neatly in a non-bulky backpack that fits just the necessities (not too big, just enough for the neededs...) WE ALL WISH WE HAD THAT because the rest of us have mesh bags that hurt your hands to carry. My husband usually ends up carrying mine and I end up with his pack anyway... hee hee. Seriously, though. His is a Body Glove and he LOVES IT! It sees use on more than just cruises and has lasted a good long time. TRY ON YOUR FLIPPERS. Too tight flippers are nothing short of miserable. Keep in mind if your from a colder climate that your feet might swell in the humidity and heat but you DON'T want them coming off, either. My first ones ended up being a little too tight and areas where your skin has rubbed off on your feet and salt water are NOT a good combo.

We have an old 1970's funky hard sided suitcase for our sports gear and some souvies. It's always worked out well. We take turns carrying it and have even installed wheels. The hard side helps keep our gear and souvies from getting squished. You can pick up a like suitcase at most any Salvation Army, rummage sale, garage sale, or Aunt Mildred's attic. Ours is from my mother's travels as a teenager! :D

Snorkle gear doesn't need to be expensive. I would be wary of buying anything you can't try on first (on line) unless you have a solid return policy and time. GOOD LUCK and have fun! We're avid snorklers too. My maiden name is a fish name so I grew up with gills anyway...

Lake Huron/Erie/Ontario?!? Noooooo, I don't believe it. ;)

LOL

I've snorkled Lake Erie. North of the islands (South Bass) is pretty clear and there's some mildly interesting fish and rock formations. Keep in mind one of the BEST examples of glacial grooves in the world is on Kelley's Island, Ohio. So if your a geology geek like me, it's fun! :)

The only problem is the MAYFLIES! EW! They go into the water to die and there's literally MILLIONS of them coating the surface of the lake (real crunchy like). We jet ski and getting them cleaned out of the impeller is a REAL treat... Yuk. :D

I have had my own gear for years and never cruise without it. My daughter is old enough now where she wants to try coming with me this July to snorkel. We picked up a complete set for $29.00 in Walmart. Not the best but is isnt bad either. Good enough for the few times she will use it. If she likes it, then we will head to the dive shop for some good equipment.

Tip: in the dive shops you can pick up a "comfty strap" for about $10.00. It is padded in the rear and makes putting on and taking off a breeze not to mention how much more comfortable it is to wear your mask. No pulling of the hair or wearing a mask slightly too tight that will give you a pounding headache. (you replace the complete strap with this new one)

Most of the sets come with their own gear bag including a carry strap. But you can pick up a nice gear bag in any dive shop. If you want to go a cheaper way - buy a mesh bag to carry your gear from ship to island. Then you can pack it back into your suitcase.

Enjoy!!!

Archived