My Review Of Sovereign Of The Seas

Embarkation was handled quickly and efficiently as I had completed all forms online. We were not permitted to go to our cabin until 1:00 but went to the sail-a-way party at the pool. When we reached our cabin, it was clean and ready. There were only two problems: the toilet did not work and there was a hole at the bottom of the outside of the bathtub that was sort of fixed with two pieces of grating that did not completely fill the hole. We called and were informed that the toilet problem was WELL known and they were working on it. During the entire cruise the cabin stewardess was great! We got two towel critters a crab and a swan. The pull out sofa bed was lumpy and hard to sleep on. We would not have gotten much sleep in any event as we were on deck 10 and the pool band played loudly into the wee hours of the night. Also, the walls of the cabin were paper thin and if someone in the next cabin sneezed and you whipspered God bless you they heard it.

The colors everywhere were to say the least gaudy.

We purchased the soft drink card and got the souvenir coke container which was filled each time we requested, but you had to track someone down and they were not really happy about having to refill it. The only members of the staff that seemed at all happy to see us were the officers. The rest of the staff acted like we were a pain just by existing.

The food in the main dining room and the Windjammer was good but dont bother going to Johnny Rockets as the help there needed a lot of reminding as to what you ordered and its not worth the cover charge of $3.95 a piece.

I use a three wheeled scooter to get around. Most of the time I had to wait at least 20 minutes to get an elevator that had enough space to accomodate me. That was extremely inconvenient.

We did not get to go to Coco Cay as the weather was too bad so I cannot comment on that.

Debarkation was quick as we were on the 6 hour VIP Kennedy Space Center Tour and got off the ship first.

Would I go on Royal Carribean again? No, I don't think so. I prefer the quiet eloquence of Holland America and will be glad to get back to them.

DW and I went on the Sovereign 15 -18 Apr and had a magnificant time. This was our third time on the Sovereign and boy did we have a blast, even though we did not get to stop at CoCoCay. All was good to inlcude the food..

We were on the Sovereign April 18-22 and had a good time, even with the muster drill at 10:00pm on our last night, (someone threw a life preserver into the ocean as a prank, are you kidding me?) The weather was perfect and the food was good and plentiful.

I thought my bed was pretty comfortable and I don't usually do well in motels.

I do agree with the staff - I didn't think some of them were very friendly at all. There were exceptions though...some were very friendly.

I wouldn't waste time with Johnny Rockets again. The malt was wonderful (I got a vanilla and had ordered a chocolate). My burger was cold and not that great but we waited a long time for it so I just ate it. Fries and onion rings were nothing special.

My favorites: Coco Cay, Coco Loco drink, Key Lime Pie, bar on the top level of the ship, deck 11 after dark, the entertainment on board.

Gail

Thanks for your review.. It's great that you got out there and tested the waters on a differnet line... We love the sos but i am sure there was a vast amount of differnces between RCCL and Holland..

We were just on the 4/25 Sovereign 4 day cruise and we thought the staff was wonderful. We have sailed the Sovereign before as well as the Mariner and I think people must realize even though the ship has been refurbished it is still 17 or 18 years old. Yes, the cabins aren't as soundproof as the newer ships and the bathrooms are small (we never had a problem with the toilet) and the cabiins are small but for the price of this ship you can't beat it. Elevators are a problem on all ships aren't they? As far as the decor and color of fabrics used, we thought it was a good mix nothing overwhelming or tacky. Everything was cheerfull but in our opinion no way gaudy. We received the best service on this sailing compared to our previous other two cruises.

We were just on the 4/25 Sovereign 4 day cruise and we thought the staff was wonderful. We have sailed the Sovereign before as well as the Mariner and I think people must realize even though the ship has been refurbished it is still 17 or 18 years old. Yes, the cabins aren't as soundproof as the newer ships and the bathrooms are small (we never had a problem with the toilet) and the cabiins are small but for the price of this ship you can't beat it. Elevators are a problem on all ships aren't they? As far as the decor and color of fabrics used, we thought it was a good mix nothing overwhelming or tacky. Everything was cheerfull but in our opinion no way gaudy. We received the best service on this sailing compared to our previous other two cruises.

I take all reviews with a grain of salt. Both the good and bad. This is just one persons opinion. I will be on the Sovereign Friday and am looking forward to it. I plan to take plenty of photos of the ship and will post them on my Webshots page.

I was also on the Sovereign on 4/25, it was our first cruise, and I was very impressed. I agree with you, can't wait for our next cruise!

I hear you about the elevators on the Sovereign. We once cruised with my mom and their friends. Their friend was on oxygen and could not use the stairs, or walk long distances. There was always a LONG wait for the elevators during peak times. I wish they had a designated elevator for people who cannot use the stairs. I really feel bad for people who need them, but cannot get on them because some people are too lazy to walk up or down one or two flights of stairs.

Sorry to hear your cruise wasn't the best. FYI The Radiance class ships seem to be more of what you are looking for. They are beautiful, usually quieter than the other ships, and elevators are usually readily available.

Bobbie

Archived