Etruscan Tour or Tivoli Gardens

Yankee123

Hello CC Experts,

If we have to pick one of the tours, should we go to the Etruscan Tour or the Tivoli Gardens? We will have two small children with us.

Thank you in advance.

We (2 adults, no kids) have done both. They are very different, and not much activity for kids. (at least I don't remember seeing anything for kids.)

The gardens and fountains at Tivoli would probably be more interesting for the kids. One of the huge fountains has music and figures that come out (on the hour). The beauty of Tivoli, the areas where there is grass and trees could be a nice respite for kids.

The Etruscan tour is good, too. But it is basically looking at tombs. Not sure that would be of interest to kids.

Are these from Civitavecchia? One consideration might be travel time. Although you don't say where the Etruscan tour goes, if it's to Tarquinia and Viterbo, you'd be looking at about an hour each way by bus.

Tivoli, on the other hand, would require twice as much time in the bus (at least 90 minutes each way).

Very true. Thank you for the response.

Anything you would recommend doing pre cruise with two kids. We already have a full day Rome tour booked with RIL, and have another to spare. Actually we fly in that morning, and after some rest, we didn't want to waste a full day. May be leave in the afternoon for four hours. We don't get to go to Europe as often, and want to make the most of our time there without exhausting the kids.

I am open to suggestions.

Thank you

Hello CC Experts,

If we have to pick one of the tours, should we go to the Etruscan Tour or the Tivoli Gardens? We will have two small children with us.

Thank you in advance.

It is fantastic for childre and of course adults too. We are seniors and were on a Baltic cruise last year and went to Tivoli. It was wonderful. Lovely aquarium among many other things. Great Chunky Monkey Ice cream.

There is so much to see and do. You will not regret it.

Lots of rides and stuff for children and lots of shows as well. I highly recommend it. Our cruise had a bus for $15 return to the center of Copenhagen and it dropped us off right across from Tivoli.

It is fantastic for childre and of course adults too. We are seniors and were on a Baltic cruise last year and went to Tivoli. It was wonderful. Lovely aquarium among many other things. Great Chunky Monkey Ice cream.

There is so much to see and do. You will not regret it.

Lots of rides and stuff for children and lots of shows as well. I highly recommend it. Our cruise had a bus for $15 return to the center of Copenhagen and it dropped us off right across from Tivoli.

The Tivoli (Villa d' Este) that the OP is referring to is near Rome, Italy.

The Tivoli that you went to is an amusement park in Copenhagen.

Both are great, just two different places.:)

we are thinking of one of these place with Rome in Limo pre cruise. That would help with eliminating the bus completely.

We used RIL for both tours, Etruscan and Tivoli. Two separate days.

We were in Rome for a week before our cruise.

We wanted to maximize our time on our way to the port. RIL picked us up at our hotel in Rome, took us to the Etruscan Tour which also included a stop at Lake Bracciano, and lunch in Ceri. The restaurant was great, they served a dish that had boar, and the wine cellar was an actual Etruscan tomb. Our driver also took us to a roadside wine and olive oil place where we purchased several bottles.

Then RIL took us to the port in Civitavecchia where we embarked on our cruise.

Have fun!

Estruscan Tour:

7068282223_2ec1e0d395_z.jpg

IMG_0415 by BobalinkToo, on Flickr

7068284515_7fb0fcf6bc_z.jpg

IMG_0424 by BobalinkToo, on Flickr

Lake Bracciano:

6922209672_f589d6c2fd_z.jpg

IMG_0425 by BobalinkToo, on Flickr

Roadside wine and olive oil:

6922211356_6964918c35_z.jpg

IMG_0438 by BobalinkToo, on Flickr

I'm not sure if I have it straight, but it sounds like you're asking what to do on the half-day after you arrive in Rome and that you have a full day of sightseeing planned for the next day. And also, you have two young children. Is that correct?

In that case, if you're in Rome, why not simply enjoy the day and walk around Rome on your own. With two young ones, it's hard to anticipate how they (and you, if you have to keep them occupied) will hold up after the long flight. Walking around in Rome is never, IMO, a waste of time. There's so much to see.

When I went to Rome with my son (at age 6), he didn't sleep on the plane and we were both tired on arrival. I broke my own rule of no napping and we did take a little siesta. Then we got up, walked around for a while, and ended up at Trevi Fountain just at sunset. The look on his face was unforgettable when we came out of the narrow street and he saw the (huge) fountain.

Tivoli is nice, but I'd rather spend the time in Rome. Some other things my son liked on that trip were: the zoo in the Borghese gardens (another good place for a casual stroll) and Castel Sant'Angelo and the "bridge of angels".

If you're using RIL to get you to the port, you could ask them to include a short tour of the Etruscan tombs on that day, perhaps. I agree that it might not be that interesting to the average kid. Then again, I think my son would've liked doing it.

I love your ideas and the pictures actually sold me too.

On the day we arrive, we could walk up to the Trevi fountain, and I love your suggestion for the Zoo.

On the day we board, we could go to the Tivoli gardens before we get on the ship.

Love the ideas and suggestions. Thank you. Again, if someone has more ideas to share, please do.

I love your ideas and the pictures actually sold me too.

On the day we arrive, we could walk up to the Trevi fountain, and I love your suggestion for the Zoo.

On the day we board, we could go to the Tivoli gardens before we get on the ship.

Love the ideas and suggestions. Thank you. Again, if someone has more ideas to share, please do.

Sorry -- Tivoli is in nearly the opposite direction from Civitavecchia! You could do the Etruscan tombs, which are nearby, but I wouldn't think doing Tivoli would work. Maybe this map will help you to visualize the distances:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-jwFnk_RvdZw/ThpQYuMb7xI/AAAAAAAAAxI/ar9OOhEUdh0/s1600/lazio_map_political_regions.gif

Archived