Hotels Baltimore BWI or Inner?

lovermonkey

I have a question for all. We are flying in to BWI airport so we won't have a car. Was wonder if anyone could suggest some tips on picking out a hotel in either the BWI or Inner port area that might have shuttle service. Of course the Transportation is a must, but any input on which hotel to choose would be great. We will be bringing the 16 year and the 9 year old with, so any other suggestion on doing something along the way before the cruise would also be helpfull.

Thanks!!!:D

You mean transportation to the port is a must? I'd choose a hotel based on price and amenities and, if I was going to want to go to restaurants, etc. away from the hotel, be in an area with such places nearby (an advantage of the Inner Harbor area or even downtown) and then count a free shuttle to the port as a plus. Taxi fare to the port shouldn't be too bad (hotels should be able to tell you in advance what the estimated cost is). BWI is a ways from the port. You can sometimes get lower-priced hotels there, espeiclly if using Hotwire or Priceline, and many willhave airport shuttle, and some may have shuttles to some area restaurants (though you may have to wait), but all in all I'd probably lean towards the Inner Harbor area. If you have time, the National Aquarium is excellent. Not cheap, but excellent. We recently stayed at the Harrison Wharf right on the harbor. Lots of restaurants within walking distance and hotel also had a shuttle (not to the airport, mind you, so you'd have to factor that in). Time permitting, you might look into the local railroad museum, the Edgar Allen Poe home, Fort McHenry. Camden Yards is great but perhaps baseball is not in the seaso you'd be going.

You mean transportation to the port is a must? I'd choose a hotel based on price and amenities and, if I was going to want to go to restaurants, etc. away from the hotel, be in an area with such places nearby (an advantage of the Inner Harbor area or even downtown) and then count a free shuttle to the port as a plus. Taxi fare to the port shouldn't be too bad (hotels should be able to tell you in advance what the estimated cost is). BWI is a ways from the port. You can sometimes get lower-priced hotels there, espeiclly if using Hotwire or Priceline, and many willhave airport shuttle, and some may have shuttles to some area restaurants (though you may have to wait), but all in all I'd probably lean towards the Inner Harbor area. If you have time, the National Aquarium is excellent. Not cheap, but excellent. We recently stayed at the Harrison Wharf right on the harbor. Lots of restaurants within walking distance and hotel also had a shuttle (not to the airport, mind you, so you'd have to factor that in). Time permitting, you might look into the local railroad museum, the Edgar Allen Poe home, Fort McHenry. Camden Yards is great but perhaps baseball is not in the seaso you'd be going.

Thank you.

Two years ago I stayed at the Days Inn Downtown which is only about two blocks from the Inner Harbor area. Got a pretty good rate online and stayed 3-nights pre-cruise and 2-nights post-cruise. No free shuttle service to the ship but a taxi was quite cheap and took only a few minutes to get to the cruise port.

Also there is a great FREE transit system that runs all around the downtown area and a superb way to see the city. It is clean, safe, and reliable.

http://www.charmcitycirculator.com/content/route-maps

If you like art museums there is a superb hidden jewel called The Walters Art Museum which is highly recommended.

http://thewalters.org/

Great views from the top of Baltimore's World Trade Center

http://www.viewbaltimore.org/index.cfm

Inner Harbor sightseeing:

Historic Ships http://www.historicships.org/

Aquarium http://www.aqua.org/

Sightseeing cruises:

http://www.innerharborspirit.com/

Pictures I took around downtown:

Have a GREAT time!

Two years ago I stayed at the Days Inn Downtown which is only about two blocks from the Inner Harbor area. Got a pretty good rate online and stayed 3-nights pre-cruise and 2-nights post-cruise. No free shuttle service to the ship but a taxi was quite cheap and took only a few minutes to get to the cruise port.

Also there is a great FREE transit system that runs all around the downtown area and a superb way to see the city. It is clean, safe, and reliable.

http://www.charmcitycirculator.com/content/route-maps

If you like art museums there is a superb hidden jewel called The Walters Art Museum which is highly recommended.

http://thewalters.org/

Great views from the top of Baltimore's World Trade Center

http://www.viewbaltimore.org/index.cfm

Inner Harbor sightseeing:

Historic Ships http://www.historicships.org/

Aquarium http://www.aqua.org/

Sightseeing cruises:

http://www.innerharborspirit.com/

Pictures I took around downtown:

Have a GREAT time!

Oh Wow! Thank you! That really helps alot. I have heard about that hotel. Was looking at other hotels and I keep seeing that they thought it was a shady area. Which I don't understand. Guess it depends on where you grew up. Thanks again.

do NOT pick the Best Western on O'Donnell...not a happy place even though the reviews are not bad...the area around it stinks....

otherwise, if you are downtown in the Inner Harbor area. you can walk to a lot of things...and a cab should be 15-20 give or take...

also, some hotels that say 'inner harbor' are a little far away...

i am staying at the Fairfield Inn and Suites next weekend (not for a cruise) but it seems to be in a decent area, not far from Little Italy and Harbor East...so still walkable to all the fun stuff...i will post a review when i get back (if i remember..:confused::D)

do NOT pick the Best Western on O'Donnell...not a happy place even though the reviews are not bad...the area around it stinks....

otherwise, if you are downtown in the Inner Harbor area. you can walk to a lot of things...and a cab should be 15-20 give or take...

also, some hotels that say 'inner harbor' are a little far away...

i am staying at the Fairfield Inn and Suites next weekend (not for a cruise) but it seems to be in a decent area, not far from Little Italy and Harbor East...so still walkable to all the fun stuff...i will post a review when i get back (if i remember..:confused::D)

Yes please do. Thank you!

Oh Wow! Thank you! That really helps alot. I have heard about that hotel. Was looking at other hotels and I keep seeing that they thought it was a shady area. Which I don't understand. Guess it depends on where you grew up. Thanks again.

Next to the hotel on the north side is the First Mariner Arena. Not a problem. On the south side of the hotel across the street is the Convention Center. Not a problem either. I really did not consider the area to be seedy or shady at all and felt completely safe walking from there to the Inner Harbor area. The hotel has a restaurant (Hopkins Bar and Grill) that has a nice buffet breakfast albeit a little on the expensive side but that is to be expected.

Next to the hotel on the north side is the First Mariner Arena. Not a problem. On the south side of the hotel across the street is the Convention Center. Not a problem either. I really did not consider the area to be seedy or shady at all and felt completely safe walking from there to the Inner Harbor area. The hotel has a restaurant (Hopkins Bar and Grill) that has a nice buffet breakfast albeit a little on the expensive side but that is to be expected.

I wonder why I keep hearing that the area is bad? Maybe they had a bad experience or something. Thank you for the information. STill trying to figure out which hotel to goto and such.

I wonder why I keep hearing that the area is bad? Maybe they had a bad experience or something. Thank you for the information. STill trying to figure out which hotel to goto and such.

it is mediocre....not bad...not great....at night it can get a little sketchy....it's a few blocks from the fun Inner Harbor stuff.....would not be my first choice but it is probably OK

You'll pay more for being right at the Inner Harbor. Worth it? Depends on your tastes and budget. When we stayed at the Sheraton City Center, we paid much less than we would have for the Sheraton Inner Harbor, and felt safe walkking to the Inner Harbor, but I can see how others would hesitate. If you can afford it, the Inner Harbor is nice, but don't necessarily expect bright lights everywhere. You still have to watch where you go. And know that restaurants there can be expensive. When we stayed at the Inn at Hendersons Wharf, we ate at a nearby "Irish pub." Little Italy is also a good place for eating. We weren't out late at night, but if we had been we would have used taxis more often.

Thanks for your comments and such. I think initially I wanted to see if I could find a shuttle that was free with the hotel. But it looks like my best best is with a cab. Which is ok. At least I know where I am going with this. Thanks everyone.

We usually stay at the Holiday Inn Express at Camden Yards. You need to take the light rail to the stop closest to the HIE where their shuttle will pick you up. They also have a free shuttle to the pier as well as to the Inner Harbor.

Greg

We usually stay at the Holiday Inn Express at Camden Yards. You need to take the light rail to the stop closest to the HIE where their shuttle will pick you up. They also have a free shuttle to the pier as well as to the Inner Harbor.

Greg

Hi, we are thinking of the HIE but they don't seem to be a very great area. One big advantage is that they are only a mile or so from the port. We will be parking the car for the duration there. Did you do that? How is the shuttle to and from the port?

Thanks

Hi, we are thinking of the HIE but they don't seem to be a very great area. One big advantage is that they are only a mile or so from the port. We will be parking the car for the duration there. Did you do that? How is the shuttle to and from the port?

Thanks

The area around the hotel is a little rough but the parking lot is fenced in. We have always flown into BWI so we didn't park there. We used the shuttle to go to the Inner Harbor as well as the port with no problems.

Greg

there is nothing around the HIEx by the stadiums either.....probably an OK hotel but i wouldn't stay there....

if i have time i will try and peek at that one, but i won't have a lot of free time when i am down there this weekend....but if i can at least drive by i will....

What areas are you guys speaking of that are consider bad? The inner harbor?

OK....

first, the BW on O'Donnell...which isn't near the inner harbor.

The MAIN inner harbor area, and harbor east are fine...BUT, IMO there are parts of the area that are referred to as 'inner harbor' that are not right in the immediate area...they are many blocks away. The Harbor East area is mainly residential, with additional nice hotels and dining/shopping..

the area over by the stadiums is fine also, but i THINK that the HI Express by the stadiums is a little fringy....(if that makes sense..)

I do not live there, but i spend a lot of time there...granted i haven't been in every hotel either..the area by the 1st mariner arena is probably fine during the day, and at night if there's something going on but it is about 6-8 blocks (roughly counting) from the main inner harbor area.....

hope that helps.....i am sure some locals will chime in with better info....

As megr1125 said, the area around the Arena is okay in the daytime. I walk through there every afternoon. I can see where it might get a little sketchy after dark, but it is Baltimore after all. If you can stay on the Pratt Street side, as opposed to the Lombard Street side (Arena side), it just seems better. Other options in that area are the Holiday Inn and the Marriott Inner Harbor Camden Yards. Those are closer to the convention center and Camden Yards. Again, decent during the day, but I can't speak about the night. I only work downtown, so I'm rarely there after dark.

Best Western on O'Donnell St. is in an area that is close to a blue-light district and truck stops. I would avoid the hotel. Many have posted that they've stayed there with no problems, however.

HIE at the Stadiums go to Google Map 1701 Russell St., Baltimore, MD and do a 360 degree street view. It's not a "bad" area, but it's highly industrialized, no place to walk, no residences, nothing there.

Holiday Inn on W. Lombard St. is also not in a "bad" area. Lots of students live in the apartments/condos nearby.

It all boils down to how comfortable you will be as a temporary urbanite. Personally, if I was unaccustomed to city life, but wanted to stay in Baltimore, I would choose the Inner Harbor, Harbor East or Fells Point, where foot traffic is typically abundant. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Have you considerd the Hilton downtown by the baseball stadium? You can take the light rail from BWI and get off at the convention center stop and the hotel is right there. Within walking distance to a lot of great places to eat too.

Much better choice. ;)

http://www1.hilton.com/en_US/hi/hotel/BWICCHH-Hilton-Baltimore-Maryland/index.do

• 4 weeks later...

Archived