Help needed for Ft Lauderdale Hotel

hi all,

Single female cruiser looking for safe, not overly expensive, clean place to stay for 1 night in Ft Lauderdale. Would like someplace with restaurant or food nearby or within walking distance (again safe area needed) since I will be landing after 6 pm on a Saturday night. I have read previous posts regarding FLL hotels however have read conflicting reports re: certain areas. I read in 1 post 17th street BAD...... But in another post 17th street GOOD.. Please help, am confused.. Right now I have 2 reservations, 1 on 17th st, 1 on Stirling rd... help please?!? Any and all suggestions highly appreciated!!! Am leaving in less than 1 month...

Thanks in advance!

Lisa:o

No clue who told you SE17th Street was bad, but I live here and can guarantee you that that's the BEST area to stay in as there are several very nice safe hotels, and it's a safe area to walk around in (with normal precautions you would take in any large city of course). There are many many shops and restaurants within walking distance of the SE17th Street hotels.

State Road 84 is the WORST area, many have commented on that, and always recommend people go TO the SE17th Street hotels. I would also recommend the SE17th Street hotels over anything on Stirling Road as well.

Lisa, Where is your reservation on 17th Street? There is just about everything you could want in easy walking distance. Fast food to steaks. Drug stores, grocery stores, etc. It is well lit, and lots of traffic passing by. And just minutes to the port. This is where you want to be.

Hello Lisa

17th street seems to be very safe I have sailed out of Ftlauderdale two times and Love the 17th street causeway area it is walking distance to the water taxi and you can walk down and see the ships . There is lots of resturants there and some shopping there also The Holiday Inn express on 17th street causway was a very clean nice and the front desk was great also on our last cruise on the zuiderdam the HIE was booked so I remembered the extended stay america next door so I looked it up on line and it had good reviews so I booked it It was very clean and the front desk was also very helpful. Neither of these motels have pools.but I would recommend either of these if you book online you can get a good deal have a great cruise James

Have you thought about giving priceline a try? I have used priceline 3 times now and have been very happy with what I have received.

I bid 3* downtown Ft. Lauderdale and have gotten the Marriott Hotel and Marina twice. My bid for this hotel was accepted at $75, both times in the month of March.

I was having trouble finding another night a week earlier and ended up bidding 3* downtown and beach zones, got the Radisson and accepted bid at $100. I was very happy with each hotel, although giving the choice, I would choose the Marriott Hotel and Marina, but nothing wrong with the Radisson.

Each of these hotels have restaurants on-site and are on the water taxi line, if you care to venture out a bit.

If you have never tried priceline, please read these two helpful web sites before bidding: http://www.biddingfortravel.com and http://www.biddingforfun.com they are a wealth of information.

But be aware, if your bid is accepted, you cannot change or cancel your reservation and your charge card is charged immediately.

If you don't want to try priceline, I have stayed at the Comfort Inn on Sterling Road in Hollywood, Florida, perfectly fine place to stay. They have a free shuttle from the airport to the hotel and from the hotel to the pier the next day. There is also a complimentary buffet breakfast. Perfectly fine place to stay.

Hope this helps, good luck with your choice.

The Embassy Suites would be a good choice, if you were uncomfortable about an unfamiliar area, as your breakfast is included and there is a restaurant inside the hotel for dinner. There is a shuttle from the airport and to the ship. If you want to go out for last minute shopping, there is a shop across the street that you could go to during the morning, before your shuttle to the ship.

The Embassy Suites would be a good choice, if you were uncomfortable about an unfamiliar area, as your breakfast is included and there is a restaurant inside the hotel for dinner. There is a shuttle from the airport and to the ship. If you want to go out for last minute shopping, there is a shop across the street that you could go to during the morning, before your shuttle to the ship.

...And a huge brand new shopping center right behind the Embassy Suites. The Publix (grocery store) that used to be across the street is now in this new shopping center.

Hi Lisa:) I sail solo all the time and have stayed along 17th Street every time I have left from Port Everglades.

I have always felt safe and there are many shops and restaurants along the Street.

Remember, it is daylight savings time so it will be light out till near 9:00pm.

Depending on where you stay, lots of places are walkable and cabs are on every corner and in front of every hotel.

Have a wonderful cruise:)

Oh, Trent, that Publix is awesome:D and new restaurants should be sprouting up in the same shopping center very soon!

Archived