Restaurants on the Jewel

Ghengis Klown

I know there are 5 that you have to pay a lil extra for. And I know that some of them are better then others. Just seeing which ones everyone liked or didn't like. Very excited to do the "freestyle" dining.

Le Bistro for sure! Never had a bad meal there.

Besides the regular specialty restaurants, be on the look out for "special" meals. Both the "Jazz brunch" and "The best of" lunch were excellent. Mystery lunch, not so much.

Italian - I've never personally eaten there, but this is my take on it.... If you know/cook/eat Italian, you won't be thrilled, if not, people seem to like it.

Cagney's is our fave... Can't wait to try Moderno (in 8 days!!!)... we also love Teppanyaki.. Mama's (Italian) is fantastic, too (and, my mom is first generation Italian/American).

Also, the Main Dining Room is really good, too (in my experience). Have fun!

Assuming the Jewel's Great Outdoors is similar to the one on the Pearl and Sun, we really like it for breakfast. Excellent place to have a custom omelet cooked for you and then sit outside to eat. The MDR serves a very relaxed breakfast if you want to have sit down service. These suggestions are free eatries.

Are any of the restaurants free other than the MDR and buffet? On some ships there is another one that is, but I always seems to miss it..

There are two MDRs. Additionally, the ships have a Blue Lagoon (or something similar), grills out on the decks (front and rear depending on the ship) featuring a variety of foods, and cookout grilling (weather permitting) at various times during the cruise. I'm probably forgetting other options.

Love Blue Lagoon for relaxed comfort food--not the long drawn out dining of the MDR, or the frenzied dining of the buffet. No upcharge for Blue Lagoon. Just good food, served to your table, limited menu, fairly quick, and very good!! The WINGS are the best!!

Also, if there are a large number of you--I know the Italian Restaurant is never reviewed as being the best. But if you do get tired of the MDRs or buffets--it is a great alternative for little charge. Just $10 a person. Just for the ambiance it is worth it to sit in a smaller type venue and get a little more focused service. The food is certainly fine--as others have said--not great (like LeBistro or Cagneys)--but still very good. We ahve always taken the whole family and always found it very enjoyable.

I like Cagney's and Teppanyaki. Will report back on Moderno next week :)

We've booked Chin Chin, Mama's (certain menu items, not others), and the Jewel's new Moderno, and would love to see some photos of the salad bar as well as find out the order the chicken, (breast, legs), steaks, (3 types), ribs, (2 kinds), sausages (2 kinds) and lamb are served.

I'm guessing a lot of the strolling passadores skewers are offered before they get to the filet mignon, though :D

To the OP, if you have a chance, I'd say go to the Asain eatery, Chin Chin in this case. Lots of delish apps, some solid mains and for dessert, may I highly recommend the banana pancakes with warm carmelized sauce topped with the creamiest coconut ice cream? :eek:

We really liked the Teppanyaki on our cruise. However, I would warn anyone with high blood pressure to be careful as the food there was very salty, at least to me. I started to react to it midway through the meal and had to drink lots of water to flush out the salt.

The Italian restaurant is nothing to write home about but for just $10 we got a good meal in a quite restaurant, table for two was right along the window and we ate and watched the sail away from Nassau to be great.

Service was excellent.

Remember the restaurant is used for overflow seating at breakfast and lunch if you are using the buffet. While the food is a bit of a walk they did have a portable coffee/juice station set up.

The Italian restaurant is nothing to write home about but for just $10 we got a good meal in a quite restaurant, table for two was right along the window and we ate and watched the sail away from Nassau to be great.

Service was excellent.

Remember the restaurant is used for overflow seating at breakfast and lunch if you are using the buffet. While the food is a bit of a walk they did have a portable coffee/juice station set up.

I did not know that you can sit there as an overflow! Good to know. My last cruise on the Pride was pretty crowded on the final day and we had to sit in the bar.

I have eaten in LeBistro many many times. Every time it was exceptional.

Cagneys is pretty good, but not fantastic. Modenero was fantastic on the Epic. It was not on the Pearl last year.

Living in New Orleans, I do not bother with the Asian since what we have here at home can't be beat.

We really liked the Teppanyaki on our cruise. However, I would warn anyone with high blood pressure to be careful as the food there was very salty, at least to me. I started to react to it midway through the meal and had to drink lots of water to flush out the salt.

I ask the chef to leave the soy sauce off mine. Basically butter poached (almost) lobster &/or steak. Same with the salt shaker.

• 4 weeks later...

For anyone that wanted this information and didn't wanna go to the NCL website. I made a list of all 15 of the dining options and prices if apply.

Cagney's Steakhouse

Like Cagney himself, our upscale, traditional steak house is right out of the 1930's with all the trimmings. Succulent steaks, filet mignon, prime rib, lamb, fresh seafood and grilled chicken.

Cuisine: Steakhouse

Accommodates: 160

Price per Guest: $25

Chin Chin Asain Restaurant

This elegant adventure into Pan Asian fare is a world-class experience in the finest authentic Japanese, Thai and Chinese cuisine.

Cuisine: Asian

Accommodates: 78

Price per Guest: $15 - Sushi à la carte

Le Bistro French Restaurant

Le Bistro is an ode to all things French. From the art nouveau décor and artwork to the menu which is filled with modern classical and contemporary French gourmet fare.

Cuisine: French

Accommodates: 112

Price per Guest: $20

Mama's Italian Kitchen

Traditional, tasty and molto italiano. Enjoy pasta with a choice of savory sauces in a casual atmosphere. There are also crispy, fresh salads, pizza, authentic Italian desserts, a fine wine list and espresso drinks to top off the meal.

Cuisine: Italian

Accommodates: 110

Price per Guest: $10

Teppanyaki Room

Within Chin Chin Asian Restaurant is the Teppanyaki Room - a truly authentic Asian dining experience. Sit at a large table of 10 where the process of preparing your food right before your eyes is both entertaining and impressive.

Cuisine: Teppanyaki

Accommodates: 32

Price per Guest: $25

Azura Main Dining Room

In the style of a modern boutique hotel, the lines are clean with combinations of blues and purples with a shot of orange for good measure. The daily menu includes a selection of light, healthy choices.

Accommodates: 328

Price per Guest: Complimentary

Blue Lagoon

In honor of the midnight snack, we bring you Blue Lagoon open round the clock. Whether you're hankering for a burger or a fast-wok dish, you can enjoy a light bite in a family friendly atmosphere, day or night.

Accommodates: 94

Garden Café/Kid's Café

The Garden Café/Kid's Café offers a family-friendly menu of omelets, pasta, soups, salads and ethnic specialties. There's even a special kid-sized section for pint-size appetites.

Accommodates: 390

The Great Outdoors

Outdoor buffet featuring prepared-to-cook omelets, waffles, fruit, soups, ethnic specialties and pasta.

Cuisine: Buffet

Moderno Churrascaria

As the succulent skewers of barbequed meats are carved tableside, you control how much you want with the Moderno Green and Red Chip. Green for go and the carving continues or red to stop. Also, enjoy a wide selection of perfectly prepared salads, sliced meats and traditional accompanying dishes from the salad bar.

Accommodates: 186

24/7 Pizza

The ocean's very first Pizza Delivery Service is offered 24 hours a day aboard Norwegian Jewel. Our Pizza Team is happy to deliver a piping hot, homemade pie with your favorite toppings directly to your table, your stateroom, or your favorite bar or lounge. Just ask your server or call room service to place your order. "Fresh and Freestyle, that’s Pizza 24/7."

Price per Guest: $5

Room Service

p>If you can't come to the restaurant we'll bring the restaurant to you. We offer a menu of items, which can be prepared and brought to your stateroom. Room Service is available 24-hours a day (There will be a delivery charge from Midnight - 5 am).

Sky High Bar & Grill

Enjoy your grilled favorites like hot dogs, hamburgers and bratwurst at the casual Sky High Bar.

Cuisine: Bar & Grill

Accommodates: 91

Sushi and Sake Bar

Chin Chin Asian Restaurant also has a Sushi and Sake Bar where you can enjoy the very best sushi and sake expertly prepared as you watch.

Cuisine: Sushi

Accommodates: 10

Price per Guest: Sushi à la carte

Tsar's Palace Main Dining Room

The interior is an inspiration of the grand palaces of St. Petersburg and the era of the great Tsars of Russia. A five-course, award-winning menu is the inspiration of our master chefs.

Accommodates: 554

• 4 weeks later...

Ate at Moderno and Mama's on the 5/19 cruise to Alaska. Moderno was very good, but not great, in my opinion. However I would still recommend it. Maybe it's because I'm from Wisconsin and we have excellent meat here and were used to it. We had a group of 8 and everyone thought it was a great experience and we all came out many lbs. heavier than when we went in. Definately worth the $20pp and if you use the buy 3 get one free coupon that comes in your e docs, it is only $15pp. My favorite was the Bacon wrapped chicked breast, but of course anything wrapped in bacon is good.:D

Someone asked a few posts back what order it comes....based on my observation, they didn't bring out the meat in any specific order as they appeared to serve several tables with the skewers and the cruisers at the tables were in various stages of eating.

Also ate at Mama's, I thought it was great and my wife loved the chicken parm. Service was excellent.

Archived