Help Decide?

Two good itineraries.

I'd go for the second one. For one thing, it's got PEI, which is lovely--pretty scenery, Anne of Green Gables, lighthouses. There isn't a lot right at LaBaie, but one HoHo bus will take you to Chicoutimi (not sure I spelled that right), which is interesting. The other HoHo bus goes in a different directionm I think to the fjord museum and other sites. The sail up the Sagneuay Fjord is pretty.

What month are you looking at? A lot of places in Canada close down after labor day, and that could affect your choice. Google the ports and see what's there and think about what your interests are. I like Portland better than Bar Harbor (Portland has more history), but other people prefer Bar Harbor (better scenery). If NCL's site will let you look at tours, that's another way to decide which itinerary is better for you.

The dates may be very important. Sydney is a great port, but not too early or late in the season.

Instead of flying in or out of Quebec City, consider using Montreal and spending a day or so there. The flights should be less expensive. There is train and bus service between the two cities.

Cornerbrook, Newfoundland is an interesting port because you can see the fjiords at Gros Morne National Park.

You do not have time to do the Cabot Trail. You could only do about one third of it and then turn around. It is not the most scenic part of it in my opinion. The best part is on the west coast which is the furthest away.

A good day is to drive to Baddeck, see the Alexander Graham Bell Museum and perhaps have lunch or shop in the village. Then drive to Iona to the Highland Museum and then drive back to Sydney on the other side of the Bras D'Or Lakes (really one large inlet of the ocean).

Here is a map:

http://g.co/maps/mvzkv

Another good day is to go to the Fortress Louisbourg.

Do an internet search for toms port guides for lots of information.

Archived