Riviera/Marina: HDMI or other video/sound inputs for tv?

ohmark

Thinking of taking IPad with entertainment on hard drive. Thought about taking Apple TV, but not interested in paying massive wifi fees necessary. If I take IPad HDMI cable (or IPad analog video/stereo cables) will I be able to access such inputs on the room television? (Penthouse) Thanks.

I always carry my little WD media player and HD with all my movies for the same reason. Plugs into any TV in all hotels Ive stayed in so hoping it will do the same on the ship. I think all modern TVs have an HDMI plug but not all have a built in media player.

I always carry my little WD media player and HD with all my movies for the same reason. Plugs into any TV in all hotels Ive stayed in so hoping it will do the same on the ship. I think all modern TVs have an HDMI plug but not all have a built in media player.

As the Riviera is brand new, I'm assuming the televisions have hdmi inputs. But the question is whether they are accessible for, or usable by, guests. To use the wifi for any media playing would be outrageously expensive. To bring along a media player and end up with no accessible hdmi input would be a waste.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Just as the public is never permitted to download onto the provided computers in any library or hotel, Oceania has a prohibition against connecting third party electronics to the televisions.

A great deal of intricate programming and setup can easily be negated by such a connection, and the continuous basic operation of the television is seen as essential.

Although this may seem restrictive to some, avoiding the risk of corruption to the appliance must be seen as the greater good.

Just as the public is never permitted to download onto the provided computers in any library or hotel, Oceania has a prohibition against connecting third party electronics to the televisions.

A great deal of intricate programming and setup can easily be negated by such a connection, and the continuous basic operation of the television is seen as essential.

Although this may seem restrictive to some, avoiding the risk of corruption to the appliance must be seen as the greater good.

Don't get the analogy. Watching/listening to media on a televison does not involve any downloading whatsoever into or onto the television, unlike downloading materials onto a computer's harddrive, library or otherwise.

Many modern hotels, for example, specifically provide for and encourage guests to attach their laptops to the room television sets. In fact that is a standard at full service Marriott hotels, where almost every possible connection to the room television is provided for guests.

Out of curiousity, could you cite some example of the danger you mention? For example, how could attaching an Apple TV to an hdmi input cause "corruption to the appliance?"

As I am the OP from this ancient thread, I'll include this FYI: For our wonderful Med cruise last June/July on Riviera, I decided to bring along a speaker/charging dock for my IPad. Prior to departure, I filled the IPad with more than enough music (via Rhapsody) to enjoy for the cruise. A particular favorite we enjoyed listening to was an album of music played during a cruise on the Titanic. Caused our butler to giggle.

Well one requierement to use the different inputs is that you have to select each input on the tv. Now if you don't know the set up for watching normal provided programming the it requires maintenences time to reset the tv sets.

Bill

Don't get the analogy. Watching/listening to media on a televison does not involve any downloading whatsoever into or onto the television, unlike downloading materials onto a computer's harddrive, library or otherwise.

Many modern hotels, for example, specifically provide for and encourage guests to attach their laptops to the room television sets. In fact that is a standard at full service Marriott hotels, where almost every possible connection to the room television is provided for guests.

Out of curiousity, could you cite some example of the danger you mention? For example, how could attaching an Apple TV to an hdmi input cause "corruption to the appliance?"

As I am the OP from this ancient thread, I'll include this FYI: For our wonderful Med cruise last June/July on Riviera, I decided to bring along a speaker/charging dock for my IPad. Prior to departure, I filled the IPad with more than enough music (via Rhapsody) to enjoy for the cruise. A particular favorite we enjoyed listening to was an album of music played during a cruise on the Titanic. Caused our butler to giggle.

My father, is in total denial about his hearing loss. When he comes to visit, he listens to the television so loud, you can hear it clearly OUTSIDE the house. His reaction to us asking him to turn it down is like a Seinfeld episode... "what, is that loud, I can hardly hear it".

When in a hotel room or a cruise stateroom, I am always aware of not slamming doors, and listening to the t.v. (or music) too loud. I would hope that my fellow pax have the same consideration. You too, might be not aware of the decibel level.

Edited by kimanjo

Out of curiosity, could you cite some example of the danger you mention? For example, how could attaching an Apple TV to an hdmi input cause "corruption to the appliance?"

I could get into a long explanation of video driver conflicts, or copyright infringement bugs, but in the simplest terms, people tend to play with the settings when they cannot get their imported media to play.

Rather than employing IT staff sufficient to reformat the sets back to their original configuration during each cruise turn-around, and passing those costs on to us, Oceania has opted to ask that outside connections not be made.

I'm a video junkie myself, and would love to use those huge flat screens as my display, but I completely understand their position, and intend to respect it.

I could get into a long explanation of video driver conflicts, or copyright infringement bugs, but in the simplest terms, people tend to play with the settings when they cannot get their imported media to play.

Rather than employing IT staff sufficient to reformat the sets back to their original configuration during each cruise turn-around, and passing those costs on to us, Oceania has opted to ask that outside connections not be made.

I'm a video junkie myself, and would love to use those huge flat screens as my display, but I completely understand their position, and intend to respect it.

Oceania sets the rules and I have no problem either living with that or choosing another cruise line. (By way, just where does this rule appear?) But I have to tell you that Marriott has had it's video friendly policy in effect for years and the apparent effect is to please its customers and not to cause nervous breakdowns of its IT deparments. IMO, the concerns expressed in this thread by a couple of posters are way overblown. I would guess that most folks these days understand what the "input" button is for.

• 2 years later...
Well one requierement to use the different inputs is that you have to select each input on the tv. Now if you don't know the set up for watching normal provided programming the it requires maintenences time to reset the tv sets.

Bill

Not exactly.

The TVs on cruise ships are "hotel TVs" (nowadays, standard flat screen TVs in hotel mode). They switch back to a predefined input and channel (the vessel's information channel, usually) every time you turn them on.

This is useful both to reduce service work (if a guest fiddles with things, just switching the TV off and on will usually put things back to normal) as well as giving the ship an easy but unintrusive way to relay information like tender times, safety videos, etc.

On my Samsung Smart TV at home, for example, you need a special service remote with additional buttons to switch the TV into and out of hotel mode. I know because I used an emulated service remote to enable additional features.

Some ships nowadays have PCs (e.g. Celebrity Solstice class uses Mac Minis hidden somewhere, I'm not telling) connected to the TV, effectively making the TV a "dumb" PC-style monitor - all the programming comes from the PC/Mac. In this case, the input on the TV is fixed to the computer, so there is no way to connect your own source of entertainment. You'll have to be content with what the line offers you.

I prefer to bring my own stuff, as I have pretty eclectic taste and would like to use sea days to finally watch something sitting there for years already - usually either family-made videos or fairly specialized technical trainings that will definitely not be on offer from the cruise line.

I can always use my tablet to watch the material, though, but on my next (long) cruise I'll bring an HDMI and VGA cable just in case.

• 7 months later...
Not exactly.

The TVs on cruise ships are "hotel TVs" (nowadays, standard flat screen TVs in hotel mode). They switch back to a predefined input and channel (the vessel's information channel, usually) every time you turn them on.

This is useful both to reduce service work (if a guest fiddles with things, just switching the TV off and on will usually put things back to normal) as well as giving the ship an easy but unintrusive way to relay information like tender times, safety videos, etc.

Bing! We have a winner. Jim&Stan is trying to be helpful, but if you want to hook up your device, you can. Toggle the input and you'll find your connected device. When you disconnect, turn the TV off and it should go back to the original set up.