Gem - Code Red during 4/8 Sailing

babygirl722

Just got back from the 4/8 Gem Sailing and it seems there was a serious outbreak of a stomach virus (Noro?) with many people quarantined throughout the voyage. They were sailing Code Red for the last 2 days. Hopefully the issue will resolve itself for the next voyage.

We had perfect weather and really enjoyed ourselves, in spite of the fact that my husband found 3 cockroaches in his bed!

Just got back from the 4/8 Gem Sailing and it seems there was a serious outbreak of a stomach virus (Noro?) with many people quarantined throughout the voyage. They were sailing Code Red for the last 2 days. Hopefully the issue will resolve itself for the next voyage.

We had perfect weather and really enjoyed ourselves, in spite of the fact that my husband found 3 cockroaches in his bed!

It is very important you check all your luggage before you brought it in the house female cock roaches will leave tiny eggs in sacs in anything literally anything alarm clocks electronic devices, clothing pockets and deep in luggage pockets. i went to visit family once and they had cock roaches i found some in my sons luggage. i read up on it and they are a bigggggg problem and extremely hard to get rid of. Infestation all the way!

The crew is scheduled to start a full ship sanitation starting in Nassau next week. It will take 3 days. All crew will be putting in extra hours to get it done.

Im told the crew was relatively sick free, but judging by the lack of service on Saturday....I think they may be infected as well.

I got to say, a lot of the passengers at the buffet are DISGUSTING! We went to 2 of them and will never go back.

I wonder how long it takes the CDC to list an outbreak? Their website is not showing any cruise ships with an outbreak of Noro since the Feb 26th sailing of the Ruby Princess.

Glad you had a good time anyway

after 3% of the people onboard have reported to infirmary with noro or noro like symptoms.

Bill

It is very important you check all your luggage before you brought it in the house female cock roaches will leave tiny eggs in sacs in anything literally anything alarm clocks electronic devices, clothing pockets and deep in luggage pockets. i went to visit family once and they had cock roaches i found some in my sons luggage. i read up on it and they are a bigggggg problem and extremely hard to get rid of. Infestation all the way!

The bags were sanitized by the staff on board and all laundry was done by them as well. We checked and will check again but haven't found any. The Asst Hotel Director gave us a $300 on board credit (that's $100 per roach!) and assured us that the ship does not have roaches. They likely hitchhiked a ride in from the pier.

Rich - your comment about the disgusting passengers on the buffet lines is spot on. I watched quite a few people scoop food out, eat it off their plates while on line, and then proceed to lick their fingers. They then use those licked fingers to scoop food out of the next thing they like. GROSS!!

OK this thread is a little frightening. I will be sailing on the NCL (Gem) for the 1st time next year. The buffet thing is seriously disgusting. I lost it when a woman used the chicken tongs to pick up a piece of shrimp then put it back with the chicken. I snatched those up & gave them to one of the servers before anyone else could use them. Also told the server to take the chicken away. This was on another cruise line. But putting your actual hands in the food????? OH MY GOD

OK this thread is a little frightening. I will be sailing on the NCL (Gem) for the 1st time next year. The buffet thing is seriously disgusting. I lost it when a woman used the chicken tongs to pick up a piece of shrimp then put it back with the chicken. I snatched those up & gave them to one of the servers before anyone else could use them. Also told the server to take the chicken away. This was on another cruise line. But putting your actual hands in the food????? OH MY GOD

Thank you for doing so. That could have caused someone like me who is highly allergic to shellfish and seafood to have a life-threatening reaction.

We leave on the Gem in a week. Hope the sanitation is thorough.

If they are as thorough as the Jewel crew was on our 3/31 sailing, you should be in good hands. They had an outbreak on the prior sailing to ours, and we had extra sanitation measures for the first 4 days or so before they removed the high alert. We certainly didn't meet everyone on the ship, but no one we encountered all week had any illness or knew of anyone who had.

One of the special measures was having crew members serve all buffet items. I really missed that when they went back to the regular self-serve buffet! My partner and I have also noticed how much more careful we are about touching things in public spaces now that we're off the ship - suddenly we're hyper-aware of all the ick in the world!!!!

The bags were sanitized by the staff on board and all laundry was done by them as well. We checked and will check again but haven't found any. The Asst Hotel Director gave us a $300 on board credit (that's $100 per roach!) and assured us that the ship does not have roaches. They likely hitchhiked a ride in from the pier.

Rich - your comment about the disgusting passengers on the buffet lines is spot on. I watched quite a few people scoop food out, eat it off their plates while on line, and then proceed to lick their fingers. They then use those licked fingers to scoop food out of the next thing they like. GROSS!!

And to think of all the people who don't wash their hands after using the bathroom OR who wash their hands and then open the door with their clean hands rather than a paper towel ..... and the cruise lines get blamed ... :rolleyes:

Archived